Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

On 6/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, Cee said:

Skyriewed up my timing to have it for the coldest Melbourne Winternights however, I now have my 2nd Devil's Half Ruby Porter (stuck to the recipe) in my FV

The first time I brewed this it just struck me as a perfectly velvetty sipper for a chilly night so I had to try it for Winter. It goes beautifully at room temperature, but also chilled and, despite my liking of it to drink slowly, it also didn't mind when I gave it a bit of a chug. It might get a bit heavy and rich though for a session-type of situation. Apparently Porters begat Stouts and I had never tried one but it's on my Favourites list now.

It likes to age a little so I am aiming for maybe 12 weeks in the bottles. But Melbourne's seasons are arriving later these years so I expect to enjoy this with some cold enough evenings anyway. 

I have no temperature control devices or brewfridge, etc.

Timing my beers - hmm my next thing to focus on?

Anyway, Porter is in, going to also try a European Lager with Nottingham yeast in the laundry (14 degrees-ish)

Not gunna happen this Winter

My tap broke in my FV day 10 (so close to bottling) - the whole damn brew went all over the kitchen floor

Very unhappy

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, Cee said:

Not gunna happen this Winter

My tap broke in my FV day 10 (so close to bottling) - the whole damn brew went all over the kitchen floor

Very unhappy

Mate it pays to have a few spare taps, when you are cleaning the Fermenter fill with water above the tap line & test the tap, be rough with it to make sure it is fitted correctly & doesn't leak, then at least when you are ready to dispense the precious golden stuff you know it's not going to pop off.

• Like 2

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate it pays to have a few spare taps, when you are cleaning the Fermenter fill with water above the tap line & test the tap, be rough with it to make sure it is fitted correctly & doesn't leak, then at least when you are ready to dispense the precious golden stuff you know it's not going to pop off.

@Classic Brewing Co Yes I have spare taps, mate.

When I first posted about the taps in that "Leaky Taps" thread it was Feb 2021. Since then I have definitely known the need to have spare taps and have purchased them dutifully. I have a bunch of taps but if they're all the same quality... well y'know 🙂

In that same thread, users identified that maybe perhaps possibly using hot water may weaken the taps - none of us are engineers lol. 

Long story short,  Proper Tap Care has been a conscious feature of my brewing process since then.

2 things I am worried about with brewing - breaking glass bottles, and bursting taps mid-brew haha. I don't use glass, but not using taps is going to kill the fun... It is certainly not fun for those I co-habit with. 

I can whole-heartedly agree with what you posted about Tap Care. It seems so trivial - until one goes...

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Just put Brew No.6 in the FV - a Woolworths Lager can with 1kg dextrose added. My husband wanted to try another brand. We'll see!

Very sorry about your tap mishap @Cee.

Let us know how that tin turns out @jennyss Trying different combos is part of the fun

Tap Issue - well I am mid-sook at the moment. On a global scale it's not a catastrophe. But mid-sook, it's the end of the world 😄

• Haha 5

Finally on track with the new kegerator up and going so back to fermenting again.

Kegland's Cloud 9 Hazy Pale Ale FWK.

1 x Fresh3 NEIPA Base 15litres  plus 5Litres of filtered water
1 x 11g - Lalllemand Verdant Yeast Sachet pitched at 18 degrees C
1 x 100g - USA Citra Pellet Hops 48 hour dry hop added when wort is a few points off FG

20 liter Volume

289750422_432163785198954_5069507179994267784_n.jpg

• Like 9

Bottled 2 brews and put 2 more in the Brew fridge.

Bottled a Woolies Lager and Battleship Bitter.

Brewed.

The Voyage: Australian Pale Ale  

K& Wheat Malt tin, 250 Light Crystal, 30g Centennial, American West coast Ale Yeast.

Woolies Lager, 500g Light Dry Malt, 250g Dextrose.

Easy day..

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Mickep said:

20 liter Volume

Hey there Cobber : )

20L - but you have two Coopers FVs - or is there something else in the other - or have I missed something here? Two batches?

Come what may - it looks the biz... MEP Brewing's production is up! 🥳

Can you also advise what your heat belt is - looks pretty robust and useable - I had one from MJwhich I think is really quite a poor example of what such a device should be... very flimsy.  Also have a proper heat pad but they are not cheap and wanted to see what else was available : )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Can you also advise what your heat belt is - looks pretty robust and useable

I'll check IP, and get back I think from memory it was the heat pads from Kegland  - I'll confirm - and they were at a decent price too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there Cobber : )

20L - but you have two Coopers FVs - or is there something else in the other - or have I missed something here? Two batches?

Come what may - it looks the biz... MEP Brewing's production is up! 🥳

Can you also advise what your heat belt is - looks pretty robust and useable - I had one from MJwhich I think is really quite a poor example of what such a device should be... very flimsy.  Also have a proper heat pad but they are not cheap and wanted to see what else was available : )

Can you also advise what your heat belt is - looks pretty robust and useable

Here ya go IP, this is where I picked 'em up from. 

https://www.szzhomebrew.com.au/home-brew-heat-heating-belt-pad-for-fermenter-beer-wine-spirits-thermometer.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Here ya go IP, this is where I picked 'em up from. 

They also have one for a few more bucks with little temp controller on it... looks pretty good... cheaper than the scrapppy poorer quality one I got a few years ago and this little fella comes with its own temp... amazing... one of the very few things that are available right now with no wait -- and probably a better bit of kit -- than a few years ago!

image.thumb.png.10d8325e52a590392041a2a0d7696641.png

• Like 3

Apologies not Coopers, but here in Africa this is a big score. Found a small business that stock Morgan's. Only stockist in Africa. They were sadly closing doors and had a 50% off sale. Very happy! 

IMG_20220627_090938.jpg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Apologies not Coopers, but here in Africa this is a big score. Found a small business that stock Morgan's. Only stockist in Africa. They were sadly closing doors and had a 50% off sale. Very happy! 

IMG_20220627_090938.jpg

That's awesome Pints. Where are you in Africa mate? Lived in Zim for a few years - before the madman wen off the rails

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mickep said:

That's awesome Pints. Where are you in Africa mate? Lived in Zim for a few years - before the madman wen off the rails

In South Africa. Yes ive heard some stories of Zim. Nice people though the locals. They often come here for work etc and are usually decent hard working people

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.b7269a9fe7803da37136885f3740e206.png

The Sparkling Amber Ale is calming down now - raising up a few degrees to finish - and then think I will bring it down in temp over a few days prior to a chill down and keg-on-up... really looking forward to this one with a good dose of WM Carapils which I have not used that much of in the past 😁

Smells Delish in the Brew Fridge ; )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, PintsMeLocal said:

IMG_20220627_090938.jpg

That caramalt goes well in an English bitter in case you were looking for ideas. 
Good score Pints 🍻 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morgan's Amber ale 1.7kg

Morgan's Caramalt LME 1.5kg

Half tin (750g) Morgan's wheat malt LME

Hop infusion in just boiled water

15g Southern sublime 

15g Cascade 

15g Morgan's American Ale yeast

Will do dry hop with same hops as above

23L

Cant wait😊🍻

IMG_20220627_104008.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

In South Africa. Yes ive heard some stories of Zim. Nice people though the locals. They often come here for work etc and are usually decent hard working people

I was in Zim with the family '96 till about "late'99 - it was a magical place - loved it there. Very fond memories. 

• Like 3

On tank water where we are so no-chill cubed the Sparkling ale the other week and dropped it into the fermenter last night with some harvested Coopers yeast from a few pale ales I scoffed. Not expecting too much from it until tomorrow but there’s definitely some pressure showing on the airlock today.

Edited by Naughty Corner Brewing
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1