Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

4 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Got a new lid for my screw on FV ( it leaked & I just need to hear the burping or I freak out it's not fermenting).

Simple K&K mix as follows ;

Ix Innkeepers Daughter

1kg LDM

1x BE2

Citra tea bag (steeped)

IKD's can yeast. Stout can yeast from recent stout can I've used as IKD's can yeast was out of date.

Yes @PintsMeLocal, we have been HOPPIFIED this time.

Sounds like a solid brew Joe mate let us know how turns out 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jennyss said:

Brew No. 7 - Back to Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract with BE No. 2. Had to use rainwater, which is very good quality at the moment (I think!), because Dubbo is under a boil water alert.

Kept an eye on the temperature as we added the water, and pitched yeast at 20deg. OG is 103.5.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of things 🙂 It's great to see newer members sticking around and picking up things. How are your beers progressing? 

What's wrong with Dubbo water? Side effects from the floods and rain or were you safe out there?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

What's wrong with Dubbo water?

Yes, @AussiekrautThe water treatment plant was 'overwhelmed' by dirty, germy water from the Macquarie Wambuul River, which has been running at moderate and minor flood level for weeks! Should be another week.

And my beers are basic but drinkable. Favourite so far is the Coopers Pale Ale. The can of Coopers lager which came with the kit was bleegh, and the Coopers Real Ale which I am drinking now is a bit harsh, and my husband won't touch it! A Woolworths lager will be ready to try on Sunday. I want to get one type of brew just right and repeatable before I venture out. Meanwhile, I like looking at everyone else's pictures and descriptions.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Yes, @AussiekrautThe water treatment plant was 'overwhelmed' by dirty, germy water from the Macquarie Wambuul River, which has been running at moderate and minor flood level for weeks! Should be another week.

And my beers are basic but drinkable. Favourite so far is the Coopers Pale Ale. The can of Coopers lager which came with the kit was bleegh, and the Coopers Real Ale which I am drinking now is a bit harsh, and my husband won't touch it! A Woolworths lager will be ready to try on Sunday. I want to get one type of brew just right and repeatable before I venture out. Meanwhile, I like looking at everyone else's pictures and descriptions.

Oh dear. At least you have rain water.

Good plan to get things right before venturing out into the big unknown 👍 The Coopers OS Lager is a bit of a bland beer. They really should put something different into the kits. But yes, establish a base line, get your process right and all and then start experimenting with things. Some hop additions, using LME or DME instead of brew enhancers and so on. The options are endless 🙂 But you might decide things are great the way they are. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I agree with @Aussiekraut Jenny & in fact I & others have mentioned it before, the addition of even a 500gm box of LDM & using BE3 instead of the 1 or 2 will give you beers more body, taste, head retention.

Using liquid malt LME, will also give your beers an added boost, I am surprised with your reaction to Real Ale, it is one of my favourite k & k beers. 

Below is a guide to Coopers Brew Enhancers

The sugar compositions of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

LDM - Light Dried Malt - 100% Light Dry Malt

DEXTROSE - 100% Dextrose

BREWING SUGAR - 80% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin

BREW ENHANCER 1 - 60% Dextrose, 40% Maltodextrin

BREW ENHANCER 2 - 50% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin, 25% Light Dry Malt

BREW ENHANCER 3 - 50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin

When I do a Coopers k & k beer say Coopers Pale Ale for example I use the can of extract, BE3, 500gm LDME or LME.

The yeast supplied is perfectly OK but just for the experience try Nottingham Hi Performance Ale Yeast or US-05 to see the difference.

POR - Pride of Ringwood Hops min 50gm ( this is what Coopers use in their commercial beer ) or talk to your LHBS for ideas.

Once you have experienced a basic home brew that tastes like a basic home brew & then apply this method & you WILL notice a distinct difference.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co,

I will copy and paste your info to a word document in my 'beer' folder. I have not had much success in searching the Coopers Community site for information that I think has already been posted; such as good additions to kits.

Cheers Jenny, I hope it helps, just remember Sugar & Dextrose will not give you a good beer, you need extra malt, not to mention some yeasts are a bit basic & of course a beer without hops is like a pie without sauce !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Country Brewer German Kolsch ( with US-05 ) which is more like an Ale has been in the Brew Fridge for 12 days @ 22c.

The SG was 1.040 on 05/07/22 now 1.010 on 19/07/22 & their is a lot of hop reside, you can see it at the bottom of the test tube.

I don't think it will go down any further & I believe it is fully fermented & I am wondering whether I should CC it for a couple of days. I want to keg this one & don't want all the gunk in there.

It's hooked up to the STC-1000 so I thought about 5c for 2 days to try & clear it up, any thoughts.

Cheers

Phil

1701069503_Hopresidue.thumb.jpg.8c06408cd41bffabf1774a583f802827.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

My Country Brewer German Kolsch ( with US-05 ) which is more like an Ale has been in the Brew Fridge for 12 days @ 22c.

The SG was 1.040 on 05/07/22 now 1.010 on 19/07/22 & their is a lot of hop reside, you can see it at the bottom of the test tube.

I don't think it will go down any further & I believe it is fully fermented & I am wondering whether I should CC it for a couple of days. I want to keg this one & don't want all the gunk in there.

It's hooked up to the STC-1000 so I thought about 5c for 2 days to try & clear it up, any thoughts.

Cheers

Phil

1701069503_Hopresidue.thumb.jpg.8c06408cd41bffabf1774a583f802827.jpg

do a cc  @ 1-2°c     for a couple of days then keg  it

is this another A.G beer Phil?    

its looking very clear  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

do a cc  @ 1-2°c     for a couple of days then keg  it

is this another A.G beer Phil?    

its looking very clear  

Yes it was an AG - recipe attached ( the King of the Mountain pointed out it wouldn't be a true Kolsch using US-05 )

The last hop addition is probably the cause & I didn't use the Hop Spider.

So thanks for that I will try & get the STC-1000 down to 2c later & give it 2 days & then keg it, I just didn't want the gunk in the keg.

20220521_160451.thumb.jpg.6d7c692db1e0889bba34ef0203d04149.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, terminal2k said:

How long has it been in the bottle?

@terminal2k, My Coopers Real Ale was bottled on 13.6.22, so 4 weeks in the bottle. But I'm not very good at describing taste. I still have 17 bottles left, and my husband's not touching it. At 1 bottle per night it will have time to improve.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, jennyss said:

I still have 17 bottles left

Put them in a cool-cold stable temp spot for 6 months - as long as they are fully carbed up already at the warmer secondary ferment temperature.

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2