Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

On 7/20/2022 at 12:04 PM, terminal2k said:

How long has it been in the bottle?

Hi @terminal2k, I'm reporting back: My Real Ale is now 3 weeks older, or 6 weeks since bottling; and I like it a lot more now.  What I called 'harsh' earlier, I now call 'has substance' (compared to the WW lager we have just started drinking).

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 3

What's in the fermenter ? - Nothing again.  Just bottled Brew No.7, a Coopers Pale Ale.  ABV is 3.94 after OG of 1035 and FG1006. Filled 30 bottles and did the washing up. Now I'm looking forward to lunch and a nana nap!

beer bottles filled.jpg

Washing up done.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

The Wheatie jus' chillin' and hopefully will keg-on-up tomorrow and backfill.... it is quite dark - suspect that will be the Veloria... anyway... had better get on and try to get a Brew on today so that there is something tomorrow to backfill with and this time something a bit paler 😋

image.thumb.png.3ebdbc9e097bf61fed251b4d7b3be3c7.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Speaking of Voyager Veloria - this is an interesting article - the "local boys" did well at a recent worldwide Malt Comp Feb 2022:

https://www.beerandbrewer.com/australian-craft-malt-shines-on-global-stage/

I've replaced Maris Otter with Veloria. Schooner malt is known as the Aussie Maris Otter and I like the results I get using it. It's also a fair bit cheaper than say Thomas Fawcett MO, I can support a "local" business and the money stays in the country. Win, win, win, win 🙂

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Speaking of Voyager Veloria - this is an interesting article - the "local boys" did well at a recent worldwide Malt Comp Feb 2022:

https://www.beerandbrewer.com/australian-craft-malt-shines-on-global-stage/

I travelled through there (Whitton NSW ) when they were still building it, a very awesome place, huge. I had business with some of the Builder/Concreters & actually stayed in Leeton just up the road & next day I was given a tour of the whole complex & a few sample bags of their fine malts. 🌱

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jennyss said:

What's in the fermenter ? - Nothing again.  Just bottled Brew No.7, a Coopers Pale Ale.  ABV is 3.94 after OG of 1035 and FG1006. Filled 30 bottles and did the washing up. Now I'm looking forward to lunch and a nana nap!

It is good to see production @jennyss if you start adding malt you will see the OG at 1.040-1.045 & finishing at around 1.010 which is going to give you a beer with more body & a better head, the ABV will of course be around 4.2-4.5.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2022 at 5:51 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

The moons aligned for a quick kit 'n' kilo brew Inspired by @Classic Brewing Co.

1. I inherited a new brew (secondhand) fridge recently.  Had not tried it out until today.
  2. I built a shelf for the fridge last weekend.
  3. I had a couple of Coopers cans in the cupboard.
  4. I had not spent yesterday doing an all grain brew.
  5. Just had to plan ahead a bit and get an overnight cold steep on last night

Toasted Coconut Porter.  Based a bit on Coopers' Island Toasted Coconut Porter

• 1.7kg Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter
  • 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt
  • 300g Chocolate Malt (overnight cold steep)
  • 250g Toasted Desiccated Coconut (add like a dry hop later this week)
  • I used the brew can yeast, plus a brew can yeast from a Brew A IPA can from a while ago

IMG_3033.JPG.c51432ca2e2230f7536a04ba8bce87a5.JPG

Hey Shamus that looks like a good festive winter brew. 
Im interested in the toasted desiccated coconut….do you buy it toasted or do you have to toast it yourself, and if so how long at what temp? I wonder if you’ll be able to taste it in the beer…

I think @AussiekrautAK used coconut recently in the brilliantly named Piña Colager, but not sure if it was desiccated or some other form of coconut…

Fun fact for those playing along at home: Coconut is not a nut, but a fruit!

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Im interested in the toasted desiccated coconut….do you buy it toasted or do you have to toast it yourself, and if so how long at what temp? I wonder if you’ll be able to taste it in the beer…

I think @AussiekrautAK used coconut recently in the brilliantly named Piña Colager, but not sure if it was desiccated or some other form of coconut…

I used desiccated coconut. I put it in a large fry pan and toast it until it starts smelling awesome and gets slightly brown. Just keep it moving in the pan and don't do it too hot as you don't want to burn it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Exactly as @Aussiekraut says.  McKenzie's Fine Desiccated Coconut.  Whole bag into a frying pan.  I did it with my gas burner on its lowest flame.  Just keep turning it until golden and smelling great.  It probably took about 10 minutes.  I think I took mine just a few minutes over.  It still smelled lovely, but just a tiny bit roasty.  As it was going in a Porter, I was not overly worried by that.

Our ducted heating spread the coconutty goodness through the whole house.  I thought family would be p1ssed, but they quite liked it.

You can definitely taste it in a Stout or Porter.  Think liquid Bounty Bar, but not sweet.  More lightly toasted in a Lager would be interesting.

I wrapped it in a Chux cloth, like a dry hop.  It was removed after four days.  I will be kegging the brew early next week.

image.png.dfa7a39d90621f4d93bcfd05f105101c.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wheatie Gone into keggler - dirty Backfill onto the FV yeastcake with the latest AG Aleo - and little more than 2.5 hours at around 17-18 it's goin' off like a frog-in-a-sock poor tame much maligned old US05... a beautiful thing 🥳

image.thumb.png.52827238c097b938248cd06b65a98461.png

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Our ducted heating spread the coconutty goodness through the whole house.  I thought family would be p1ssed, but they quite liked it.

You can definitely taste it in a Stout or Porter.  Think liquid Bounty Bar, but not sweet.  More lightly toasted in a Lager would be interesting.

I remember when I did my first partial mash a few years ago I thought it smelt awesome till the family came home and they thought it was gross 🤷

Dessicated coconut might be different though. 

I did have a Munich Dunkel fermenting in the shed once and the wife said the shed smelt like lollies 🍭 

I love bounty’s your talking me into a Porter!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's experiment time! This here is a Woolies "Larger" Toucan. Mixed yesterday to 27 litres.

Nothing else added apart from the 2 tins, water and yeast. Keeping it simple for my first attempt so I can determine what it might need for future attempts ie. hops, malt etc.

27 litres might sound high but for the sake of family harmony I try not to get my ABV over 5%. OG was 1.038. I'm not sure how accurate my hydrometer is.

Set ferment at 19C but it's currently sitting at pitching temperature of 21C. Fridge isn't plugged in so it's going to take a little time to get to 19. Figured there's no point plugging the fridge in when our current maximums are around 17C in Adelaide. Nature will do the cooling for me.

IMG20220731075246.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Classic Brewing Co Thanks Phil.
I don't have particularly high expectations for this beer because of the known lack of flavour of this kit but it could be the base for some reasonable beers in the future if it turns out OK.
I've already bought some passionfruit pulp in readiness for a fruity, summer brew down the track.

Fair enough, is that 2 x cans of Larger or a different blend like an Ail ? 🤭

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

2 x LARGER tins. I dunno what the yeast is but I used the 2 x 5g sachets that came with the tins.

My thoughts are you would need some added malt hence the low OG however you have pointed out your reasons.

It will still be beer so I will watch out for updates on Channel Muzz.

• Haha 1