Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

37 minutes ago, loafing_about said:

Could be good for those that bulk prime in a second container so the yeast cake isn’t disturbed? I just bulk prime in the original fv trying to minimise stirring up the sediment.  Sometimes successful, sometimes not!

straight to fermentation i disagree with you

into second fv  different story     

3 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Recipe IP?

Haha @kmar92 Kmar nothing too outrageous - I did sorta half half with wheat and barley - and the barley was made up mostly of Veloria w some W Carapils Dextrin Malt and some Gladdy Lager Malt that was handy for a bit of diastatic power - then buggggger all HT Mit @60 for low bitterness and a bit of Citra at the very end for a hopefully citrus finish...  on a clean no impact yeast - US05.... so sorta like doing a Weizen except major difference then using a plain Ale Yeast...  just sorta made it up as I was going along but it does smell lovely in the Ferment Fridge ; )  Fermenting now around 17.... so should be pretty clean am thinking 🤔

And I am sorta thinking it should end up an easy-drinking-creamy-brew which I suspect the commercial Brewers are chasing so as to sell plenty tinnies or Pints of it? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cee said:

My problem does seem to be with the taps.

Hey there @Cee mate I completely agree that beer across the Brewery floor is a terrible thing and must be avoided no doubt - but I have brewed w these Coops FVs for quite a few years and cannot remember ever having a problem... I don't pull the taps apart after brewing - some Brewers do - but I just run cleaning and sterilising fluid through them and flush them out always and never let any buildup or coating allow to settle - always flush/clean them out... I do quite a few brews but maybe your volume throughput is greater so therefore they are wearing out.... I agree big time that if a manufacturer produces faulty goods it should be followed up... and @Coopers DIY Beer Team Frank and Team - I don't like that ledge that catches the yeast above the tap - but otherwise I am a happy Brewer and like the Coopers Plazzi FVs and I suspect that yeast-catching-ledge has a purpose around strength of the wall where the tap inset is...

I do have an SS FV as well but you cannot see too much of what is going on in there hey and also the restricted volume of that vessel is troublesome on a fluffy fiery bubbly ferment when chasing 20plus L... Anyway @Cee I really hope that we can come to the bottom of this... as yeah I have never had a Coops Tap problem - had a leak on the seal on my SS FV once but my Coops Plazzis "donk-donk on me head touch wood" have always been really good wrt the taps... 

Anyway - the best thing is to raise the issue and see if somehow someone can assist to resolving it for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there @Cee mate I completely agree that beer across the Brewery floor is a terrible thing and must be avoided no doubt - but I have brewed w these Coops FVs for quite a few years and cannot remember ever having a problem... I don't pull the taps apart after brewing - some Brewers do - but I just run cleaning and sterilising fluid through them and flush them out always and never let any buildup or coating allow to settle - always flush/clean them out... I do quite a few brews but maybe your volume throughput is greater so therefore they are wearing out.... I agree big time that if a manufacturer produces faulty goods it should be followed up... and @Coopers DIY Beer Team Frank and Team - I don't like that ledge that catches the yeast above the tap - but otherwise I am a happy Brewer and like the Coopers Plazzi FVs and I suspect that yeast-catching-ledge has a purpose around strength of the wall where the tap inset is...

I do have an SS FV as well but you cannot see too much of what is going on in there hey and also the restricted volume of that vessel is troublesome on a fluffy fiery bubbly ferment when chasing 20plus L... Anyway @Cee I really hope that we can come to the bottom of this... as yeah I have never had a Coops Tap problem - had a leak on the seal on my SS FV once but my Coops Plazzis "donk-donk on me head touch wood" have always been really good wrt the taps... 

Anyway - the best thing is to raise the issue and see if somehow someone can assist to resolving it for sure!

Cheers @Itinerant Peasant

The tap care hints I got from the forum a year or so ago were some great ideas - if wear and tear is an issue it is something to keep in mind. How to work out how much strain the taps can take over time - well like a good bridge that would depend on many stressors and I dunno if there is any way to Coopers realistically guide or advise about that? 

The Coopers FVs with Kraussen Collar and Tap have been simple and easy to use, great for visibility, tough, easy to clean, and made good brews. Other FVs may have their own qualities but this Coopers system has worked well for me. 

I know the little lugs have snapped off before on the odd tap but as @Itinerant Peasanthas noted in replies, Leaky or Blowing Snap Taps are not a problem that seems to come up a lot for people here. 

@Itinerant Peasantalso suggested not pulling apart the taps to clean them - I would agree completely. Also agree to wash, sterilize and flush the taps out. With a really good rinse/flush.

I reckon I wanna keep the Tap Talk to the abandoned old Leaky Tap thread haha - I guess these posts morphed in the What's In Your Fermenter thread - my bad! Sorry folk.

In My Fermenter, my European Lager awaits bottling 🙂

• Like 2

Not terribly exciting photos however they are for me as this is the first AG brew that I will be kegging, it was a Country Brewer German Kolsch & the supplied yeast was US-05 so it will be more like an Ale, which is OK, I have aptly named it Classic Bayside Pale Ale.

Only 4 days in, SG was 1.040 & the Temp Control is doing a fine job, target temp is set at 22c as soon as I opened the fridge to take the shot the heat light came on & locked it in to exactly that. You can see a krausen. just, through the opaque Ambi FV.

20220711_115629.thumb.jpg.17e33f476fc9ff977536f9841f0c96f4.jpg20220711_115656.thumb.jpg.0021ca366f1c1c7ff6e01184eda7d3e7.jpg

251588844_PHILSALE.thumb.jpg.19e0644a5906f29624022c63c41c0739.jpg

• Like 8

This was only put together a few hours ago so not much activity yet.

I've made this in the name of economics. A tin of Woolies lager, 1 kg dextrose, mixed in a hot steep of 25g PoR hops, kit yeast and made it to 24litres so it provides me with 3 x 8lt kegs. I'm not expecting great things from this budget friendly beer but if it's drinkable I'll be happy. It should come in at around the 3.5% range.

Total cost: $13.35😁

IMG20220711151122.jpg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

This was only put together a few hours ago so not much activity yet.

I've made this in the name of economics. A tin of Woolies lager, 1 kg dextrose, mixed in a hot steep of 25g PoR hops, kit yeast and made it to 24litres so it provides me with 3 x 8lt kegs. I'm not expecting great things from this budget friendly beer but if it's drinkable I'll be happy. It should come in at around the 3.5% range.

Total cost: $13.35😁

It certainly sounds like a budget friendly beer Muzzy, it will be interesting to see what it's like without any added malt.

Now that I have converted to AG - mostly, I still do a few K & K to keep stocks up, but TBH the money spent on some of the hop additions cost as much as your total investment. I kg of Dextrose & upping it to 24l would seem to be mid strength beer for sure.

Good Luck. 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It certainly sounds like a budget friendly beer Muzzy, it will be interesting to see what it's like without any added malt.

Now that I have converted to AG - mostly, I still do a few K & K to keep stocks up, but TBH the money spent on some of the hop additions cost as much as your total investment. I kg of Dextrose & upping it to 24l would seem to be mid strength beer for sure.

Good Luck. 🍻

I have to admit I'm a little worried about head retention but I've never made a beer with just dextrose before so I thought I'd give it a go to see how it turns out. I've got plenty of dry malt and BE2 on hand but curiosity got the better of me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Very interesting set-up and awesome label @Classic Brewing Co!

Cheers Jenny, the fridge you see is in the kitchen & was being used for food etc but there is another fridge in there so I won't starve.

My brewing fridge is now a keg fridge so a few adjustments were made. It will now be a permanent brew fridge.

• Like 1

I decided to get a few basic k & k's going this weekend - purely for stock, my next AG will be Monday but I just want to keep a steady supply going ( I suppose we all do )

Started off with the Pale Ale then I will do the Dark Ale & the Stout, sadly BIG W didn't have any BE3 in stock so I am forced to use BE2 with a few additives.

I will be able to keg one of these but until I get 2 more Corny's I will have to bottle the rest.

20220716_103033.jpg

20220716_104527.jpg

• Like 8

Purely for the benefit of any Newbies, this is how I insulate my FV's in the cooler months if the Brew Fridge with Temperature Control is busy.  Both brews were pitched at 24c & the ambient temperature inside will stay at 18-20c, perfect for most Ales.

The insulation would help a little probably by 1-3 degrees. 

Cheers.

20220717_141807.jpg

20220717_141938.jpg

• Like 5

The moons aligned for a quick kit 'n' kilo brew Inspired by @Classic Brewing Co.

1. I inherited a new brew (secondhand) fridge recently.  Had not tried it out until today.
  2. I built a shelf for the fridge last weekend.
  3. I had a couple of Coopers cans in the cupboard.
  4. I had not spent yesterday doing an all grain brew.
  5. Just had to plan ahead a bit and get an overnight cold steep on last night

Toasted Coconut Porter.  Based a bit on Coopers' Island Toasted Coconut Porter

• 1.7kg Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter
  • 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt
  • 300g Chocolate Malt (overnight cold steep)
  • 250g Toasted Desiccated Coconut (add like a dry hop later this week)
  • I used the brew can yeast, plus a brew can yeast from a Brew A IPA can from a while ago

IMG_3033.JPG.c51432ca2e2230f7536a04ba8bce87a5.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The moons aligned for a quick kit 'n' kilo brew Inspired by @Classic Brewing Co.

1. I inherited a new brew (secondhand) fridge recently.  Had not tried it out until today.

• I used the brew can yeast, plus a brew can yeast from a Brew A IPA can from a while ago

I have most of the ingredients on hand..

I think I'll give that one a go, Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

OK got around to bottling & freed up the FV for a stout.

1 x Coopers stout

1.5kg Dark liquid malt

380gr hot steeped choc grain

50gr fuggles, hot steeped with a coffee bag & cinnamon stick (just because)

M42 yeast.

Darker than Stevie Wonders view with his eyes closed.

🤞 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Bloody excellent post @Shamus O'Sean    very inspirational. This is why this forum is A1 because of input from you and others that make the effort to showcase your passion. Beautiful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

OK got around to bottling & freed up the FV for a stout.

1 x Coopers stout

1.5kg Dark liquid malt

380gr hot steeped choc grain

50gr fuggles, hot steeped with a coffee bag & cinnamon stick (just because)

M42 yeast.

Darker than Stevie Wonders view with his eyes closed.

🤞 

Nice recipe fella, that is going to be a good beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not quite in the fermenter, but this is a very special brew. Our great mate Al, Boozer, has gifted me this beautiful 25 liter cube of delicious nectar known as Leigh's Lager. Feeling so grateful. Getting it temp ready @ 10 degrees for pitching. 

294273638_768472851155865_2432810320536152217_n.thumb.jpg.1b3ccfd30c2e50316fd899d5c9233f20.jpg

294645881_1402535976876545_2615474958779825266_n.thumb.jpg.57d02a44778c66078664a7b145dae80e.jpg

• Like 8

Brew No. 7 - Back to Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract with BE No. 2. Had to use rainwater, which is very good quality at the moment (I think!), because Dubbo is under a boil water alert.

Kept an eye on the temperature as we added the water, and pitched yeast at 20deg. OG is 103.5.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 7

Got a new lid for my screw on FV ( it leaked & I just need to hear the burping or I freak out it's not fermenting).

Simple K&K mix as follows ;

Ix Innkeepers Daughter

1kg LDM

1x BE2

Citra tea bag (steeped)

IKD's can yeast. Stout can yeast from recent stout can I've used as IKD's can yeast was out of date.

Yes @PintsMeLocal, we have been HOPPIFIED this time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4