Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

43 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Why? Because it is a big unknown, one that is usually connected to a fair investment and it scares people. In my case, kegging was like AG brewing, it was done by the gurus who knew exactly what they're doing. When I went AG, I was surprised how un-wizardy it actually was but kegging was still something wayyyy above what I can do and understand. Until I convinced myself it ain't rocket science. Well, I just had my 1st kegging anniversary, sent lots of rockets into space and don't miss bottling one bit. 

I have to totally agree with your post AK, it has taken my brewing adventure to new dimensions. I am not going to waffle on about all of the help & support I have had on this great forum again - hang on I just did 🤣

There is an investment, fortunately I was in a position to tackle it however how deep is the hole - it seems everyday I am on KL website/watching YouTube/getting emails thinking jeez, I need that, so where do you draw the line.

I love it to death & having beer on tap that I made myself is a great feeling when friends & neighbours come over & say that's not bad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I messaged the boyfriend after the first mouthful to get the recipe for me. I'm hoping grandad is an extract brewer and I'll be able to emulate it. If he's an AG brewer I'm shot.

I would tell them to take very good care of Grandad as you need the recipe - but as you say you are hoping he is an extract brewer.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Excellent post, and exactly how it is. All Grain and Kegging does not involve any wizardry.

The only one downside is initial outlay for equipment. Like everything i guess.

I think i personally wasted years and years of brewing not all graining and kegging because i thought it was for the elite.

Confidence is a big thing.

I have to agree mate, I was the same, I think I had reached the end of the road with extract brewing as  I used to think, how can I improve this - but you can't, you have to take it to the next level & I am glad I did, the results are outstanding & very rewarding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I don't even know what's in this but I'm going to find out. There's a nice story behind it.

My daughter's boyfriend has a grandfather that brews. They went to visit him on the weekend in a regional coastal town in SA. Conversations must have turned to Muzzy being a home brewer too and the next thing I know is my daughter's brought home a 6 pack of Pops' finest and a nucleated glass for me. I've never met the fella before and he's been good enough to gift me these. Some people are so kind.

Apparently he calls it draught lager. I've already contacted the boyfriend to get the recipe. It's in the taste regions of West End/Carlton Draught. It's a very good beer. Great clarity too for a bottled beer. The glass was chilled so the clarity doesn't seem as apparent in the picture.

IMG20220801153257.jpg

Haven't got the recipe yet but from further inquiries it seems Pops is an extract brewer 🙂 and it's probably a draught and lager toucan. Which draught and lager? I'm yet to ascertain.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Haven't got the recipe yet but from further inquiries it seems Pops is an extract brewer 🙂 and it's probably a draught and lager toucan. Which draught and lager? I'm yet to ascertain.

This is exciting stuff Muzza haha 

• Haha 2

Sorry and apologies to bore you all with this same Wheatie Ale but that is all that is on tap at the moment - and it appears to be settling down, clearing up and the carbs coming to a good balance ; )

image.thumb.png.c855d4e2ab749dd2245e0798e7757df9.png

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That is seriously a good looking beer IP. 

Haha I think it is getting better @Classic Brewing Co -- it is pretty easy to overcarb protein rich beers too so I think things are now settling down now which is good.  And as for a style - cos really this is a Weizen but not with HW yeast - so quite a different flavour profile - more like a nice creamy ale - as opposed to a more 'spicy' HW...  The HW yeasts have a massive impact on the flavour profile.  Plus aiming for Kristall - clear .

So yeah - supposedly Aussie Wheat Ales are something "new" on the Aussie Craft Brewing Marketplace so was worth a bit of a run - and yes I would do this again.  Funny tho listening to young dudes waxing on lyrical about Wheat Beers yeah... all good.... people been brewing Wheat Beers for a while and that is why the 1516 Reinheitsgebot came about : )

To stop the Rich Fellas pinching all the Wheat and Rye for their beer rather than for bread for the people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot#:~:text=significance%2C and effect-,Purpose,reserved for use by bakers.

What is festive is that it then morphed into the modern Beer Purity Law to stop Brewers putting shittttt into their beer other than Malted Grain, Hops, Barley and Water...  like cane sugar we aussies have used for years. Different Beer. Can taste good.

History Lesson Over 🏴‍☠️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Haha I think it is getting better @Classic Brewing Co -- it is pretty easy to overcarb protein rich beers too so I think things are now settling down now which is good.  And as for a style - cos really this is a Weizen but not with HW yeast - so quite a different flavour profile - more like a nice creamy ale - as opposed to a more 'spicy' HW...  The HW yeasts have a massive impact on the flavour profile.  Plus aiming for Kristall - clear .

So yeah - supposedly Aussie Wheat Ales are something "new" on the Aussie Craft Brewing Marketplace so was worth a bit of a run - and yes I would do this again.  Funny tho listening to young dudes waxing on lyrical about Wheat Beers yeah... all good.... people been brewing Wheat Beers for a while and that is why the 1516 Reinheitsgebot came about : )

To stop the Rich Fellas pinching all the Wheat and Rye for their beer rather than for bread for the people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot#:~:text=significance%2C and effect-,Purpose,reserved for use by bakers.

What is festive is that it then morphed into the modern Beer Purity Law to stop Brewers putting shittttt into their beer other than Malted Grain, Hops, Barley and Water...  like cane sugar we aussies have used for years. Different Beer. Can taste good.

History Lesson Over 🏴‍☠️

Interesting info there mate, it sure looks & sounds good. You have done well Grasshopper. 🐞 sorry couldn't find a 

grasshopper-cartoon-caelifera-illustration-png-favpng-SaWDqaBcqJr9qU51XdCZnhZX2.jpg

• Haha 2

Hey there @Popo not to by any means to distract from the beautiful 2021 thread... but if you want - there is a 2022 thread...

Popo

IMG20220802172911.thumb.jpg.239614e031cc267a43398a22c7a3a114.jpg

Sneaky taste of my Mandarina Bavaria & Huell Melon pale ale. Different. Delicious.

----------

But maybe i have missed something as well... ?

Maybe I am mistakenly living in the Future with all its own challenges?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there @Popo not to by any means to distract from the beautiful 2021 thread... but if you want - there is a 2022 thread...

Popo

IMG20220802172911.thumb.jpg.239614e031cc267a43398a22c7a3a114.jpg

Sneaky taste of my Mandarina Bavaria & Huell Melon pale ale. Different. Delicious.

----------

But maybe i have missed something as well... ?

Maybe I am mistakenly living in the Future with all its own challenges?

Ah, so there is. I was looking for the RDWHAHB thread and just clicked on the first one.

I don't think I ever really left the 90s so anything past that is the future for me.

• Haha 2

Let’s try again in the 2022  what are you drinking my Brew farm IPL clone pretty happy with this and the clarity is good as well after a week in the keg. The hops coming through and I expect it to improve as it gets older! Again fined with gelatine and this was also dry hopped! I used a diamond yeast cake to ferment! 

B285D231-53D2-4BBC-9C1A-1510EBD6A701.jpeg

• Like 10

This probably belongs in another thread - but then again.

My son brought me over a 6 pack of the Deeds XPA. Nice drop I though but then I though hang on a minute.........

My KL FWK of the Hazy Pale Ale tastes almost exactly the same and even look similar.

Won't tell the son, but my homebrew tastes better. 296800113_583808690065020_1560307135354772350_n.thumb.jpg.4ad5f143cab64daedc2e7c23616a8699.jpg

The one on the right is the Deeds XPA and the one on the left is the homebrew.

296905575_477475464206267_2935098446408755251_n.thumb.jpg.8b67a8df800cc7935c6f4607b8847078.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

This probably belongs in another thread - but then again.

My son brought me over a 6 pack of the Deeds XPA. Nice drop I though but then I though hang on a minute.........

My KL FWK of the Hazy Pale Ale tastes almost exactly the same and even look similar.

Won't tell the son, but my homebrew tastes better. 296800113_583808690065020_1560307135354772350_n.thumb.jpg.4ad5f143cab64daedc2e7c23616a8699.jpg

The one on the right is the Deeds XPA and the one on the left is the homebrew.

296905575_477475464206267_2935098446408755251_n.thumb.jpg.8b67a8df800cc7935c6f4607b8847078.jpg

Well done mate! Like peas in a pod.. 👍

• Like 1

Cracked a bottle of my dark saison. It’s not a bad beer. Everything you want in a saison plus some roast with a bit of candied berry type flavours. Probably needs another 6-8 weeks in the bottle for the strong competing flavours to round out. 

9005DFB4-7F4C-4723-9733-DFD75D66CB26.jpeg

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Cracked a bottle of my dark saison. It’s not a bad beer. Everything you want in a saison plus some roast with a bit of candied berry type flavours. Probably needs another 6-8 weeks in the bottle for the strong competing flavours to round out. 

Oh yeah, awesome Mitch. I am yet to try Champagne bottles for brewing, I was given dozens of them with a couple of bags of the seals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah fair enough I realised that after but no edit function, they only last a little while.

I think you can edit up to the point where someone else has seen the post. Some of my, ahem, "later-in-the-day" postings could do with an edit sometimes 😉

• Haha 3