Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

First pour of a Sam Adams AG. A bit undercarbed but it’ll work itself out.

Although in the recipe I used there was 100g of dry hops, it’s not very bitter. Maybe should have used more in the boil…

Another work in progress but quite drinkable 

81B727CC-97CF-4895-BA47-B562CAD95254.jpeg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Although in the recipe I used there was 100g of dry hops, it’s not very bitter. Maybe should have used more in the boil…

Nice looking colour mate, you can tell it's going to be a good beer just by looking at it. 😋

• Thanks 1

I don't even know what's in this but I'm going to find out. There's a nice story behind it.

My daughter's boyfriend has a grandfather that brews. They went to visit him on the weekend in a regional coastal town in SA. Conversations must have turned to Muzzy being a home brewer too and the next thing I know is my daughter's brought home a 6 pack of Pops' finest and a nucleated glass for me. I've never met the fella before and he's been good enough to gift me these. Some people are so kind.

Apparently he calls it draught lager. I've already contacted the boyfriend to get the recipe. It's in the taste regions of West End/Carlton Draught. It's a very good beer. Great clarity too for a bottled beer. The glass was chilled so the clarity doesn't seem as apparent in the picture.

IMG20220801153257.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I don't even know what's in this but I'm going to find out. There's a nice story behind it.

My daughter's boyfriend has a grandfather that brews. They went to visit him on the weekend in a regional coastal town in SA. Conversations must have turned to Muzzy being a home brewer too and the next thing I know is my daughter's brought home a 6 pack of Pops' finest and a nucleated glass for me. I've never met the fella before and he's been good enough to gift me these. Some people are so kind.

Apparently he calls it draught lager. I've already contacted the boyfriend to get the recipe. It's in the taste regions of West End/Carlton Draught. It's a very good beer. Great clarity too for a bottled beer. The glass was chilled so the clarity doesn't seem as apparent in the picture.

IMG20220801153257.jpg

Looks good enough to drink Muzzy !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, stquinto said:

81B727CC-97CF-4895-BA47-B562CAD95254.jpeg

Looks good but.

Dry hops don't add any bitterness. You can use some in a hop stand, which will give you flavour and a little bitterness, although not as much as when you're boiling it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First pour of the Pale Ale I kegged on Saturday - 24 hours @ 40 psi & 24 hours on 12 psi, wow I can't believe it, it's actually very drinkable in such a short time, I know it will improve with age - who am I kidding 🤣

Anyway it beats the **** out of waiting for your bottles to carb up, why isn't everyone kegging 🤔

20220801_163916.jpg

20220801_164027.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

IMG20220801153257.jpg

Re-purposing Crownie stubbies??

Nice head 👍

• Like 2

Coopers Pale Ale

This ones a little Bitter, I still like the flavour, did a boil for bittering and then forgot to dry hop.

Oh well life gets in the way, at least it still tastes good.

And a new glass as well, one each for the wife and I with out Names Etched on them.

20220801_163657.thumb.jpg.770cdc33cc0433daaff8f804e9ff067e.jpg

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Muzza I would try to squeeze the recipe out of him if it's that good. 

I messaged the boyfriend after the first mouthful to get the recipe for me. I'm hoping grandad is an extract brewer and I'll be able to emulate it. If he's an AG brewer I'm shot.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

If he's an AG brewer I'm shot.

Yer never know mate - he might be a real gun @MUZZY  - doing AG and then carbing up in kegs and dispensing into bottles and capping... that's the biz...  be nice to get there one day...

Was there any yeast in the bottom of the bottles?

image.thumb.png.a9874b1ab5b098430b3de0da066ee8c6.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yer never know mate - he might be a real gun @MUZZY  - doing AG and then carbing up in kegs and dispensing into bottles and capping... that's the biz...  be nice to get there one day...

Was there any yeast in the bottom of the bottles?

There was a small amount of sediment in the bottles. So I assume he uses a small amount of priming sugar. They were bottled in March so the generous amount of time in secondary fermentation has probably assisted the excellent level of carbonation. That's something I'm unlikely to achieve because Muzzy has never had a beer sitting around for 5 months. Muzzy's beers are "brewery fresh". 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Muzzy's beers are "brewery fresh". 🤣 

I'm with You Muzz, rarely see any of mine make it past 8 weeks.

(4-6 is the norm)

But I have put a few aside for later, will see how much later is Later!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

IMG20220801153257.jpg

So ya dont know if extract or all grain Muzz? And if you do scam the recipe please be kind enough to plaster it all over here 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

First pour of the Pale Ale I kegged on Saturday - 24 hours @ 40 psi & 24 hours on 12 psi, wow I can't believe it, it's actually very drinkable in such a short time, I know it will improve with age - who am I kidding 🤣

Anyway it beats the **** out of waiting for your bottles to carb up, why isn't everyone kegging 🤔

20220801_163916.jpg

20220801_164027.jpg

Remember saying that to you months ago and you wouldnt have a bar of it. Kegging is the bomb.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

So ya dont know if extract or all grain Muzz? And if you do scam the recipe please be kind enough to plaster it all over here 😄

Will do, Paley, but I will post this disclaimer: *Taste is subjective. What I think is excellent, others might think is garbage. However I'm fairly confident most would like this beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Why? Because it is a big unknown, one that is usually connected to a fair investment and it scares people. In my case, kegging was like AG brewing, it was done by the gurus who knew exactly what they're doing. When I went AG, I was surprised how un-wizardy it actually was but kegging was still something wayyyy above what I can do and understand. Until I convinced myself it ain't rocket science. Well, I just had my 1st kegging anniversary, sent lots of rockets into space and don't miss bottling one bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Why? Because it is a big unknown, one that is usually connected to a fair investment and it scares people. In my case, kegging was like AG brewing, it was done by the gurus who knew exactly what they're doing. When I went AG, I was surprised how un-wizardy it actually was but kegging was still something wayyyy above what I can do and understand. Until I convinced myself it ain't rocket science. Well, I just had my 1st kegging anniversary, sent lots of rockets into space and don't miss bottling one bit. 

Excellent post, and exactly how it is. All Grain and Kegging does not involve any wizardry.

The only one downside is initial outlay for equipment. Like everything i guess.

I think i personally wasted years and years of brewing not all graining and kegging because i thought it was for the elite.

Confidence is a big thing.

• Like 4

@Classic Brewing Co @Aussiekraut
I'm now kegging and enjoy some aspects of having beer on tap but if I could turn back time I would have stuck with bottles exclusively.
Cost isn't the negative factor for me because I still figure I'm saving thousands a year by making my own beer, so this offsets the cost of buying the kegging gear. The cruncher for me is the fact I'm inherently lazy. Watching regulators, changing kegs over when I'm pickled etc. I've found somewhat annoying.
Aside from sediment issues I think bottles are better than kegs....but each to their own. Cheers!

• Like 3