Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

Here is a pic of the air fried roast potatoes to show how the semolina flour crates a crunchy coating on the outside and they are soft and fluffy in the middle.  Perfect for sopping up the sauce from the slow cooked pork steaks mentioned below. 

After you have par boiled the spuds let them air dry completely (same as the chip process), may take an hour.  Then coat them thoroughly with olive oil and sprinkle semolina flour onto the oily spuds.  Cook in air fryer until crispy and golden.  I use one of those Parmesan shakers to sprinkle the semolina onto the spuds.

This is absolutely the way to go if you love crispy / crunchy roast spuds.

We had these with some salad from our garden plus slow cooked pork steaks that were both marinated for 12 hours and cooked in a sauce made of 1 x teaspoon crushed garlic, 2 x tablespoons whole grain mustard seeds, 1 x tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup Canadian maple syrup.

This meal is one of my wife's favourites and if she had her way, she would just eat all the roast spuds and then the pork steaks.  I would have had to survive on just the salad.

Air fried roast potatoes (semolina flour coating) - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

Here is a pic of the air fried roast potatoes to show how the semolina flour crates a crunchy coating on the outside and they are soft and fluffy in the middle.  Perfect for sopping up the sauce from the slow cooked pork steaks.  After you have par boiled the spuds let them air dry completely (same as the chip process), may take an hour.  Then coat with olive oil and sprinkle semolina flour onto the oily spuds.  Cook in air fryer until crispy and golden.  I use one of those Parmesan shakers to sprinkle the semolina onto the spuds.

This is absolutely the way to go if you love crispy / crunchy roast spuds.

We had these with some salad from our garden plus slow cooked pork steaks that were both marinated 12 hours and cooked in a sauce of 1 x teaspoon garlic, 2 x tablespoons whole grain mustard, 1 x tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup Canadian maple syrup.
This meal is one of my wife's favourites and if she had her way, she would just eat all the pork steaks and all the potatoes, I would have had to survive on just the salad.

They look really good Al, perfection, I do a similar process, aren't the Air Fryers a magic invention, they really crisp everything up nicely.

Semolina is truly a great help, I have used it with fish as well, it creates a nice crunchy crust. Well Done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big day on Sunday doing my annual batch of Spicy Plum Sauce made out of the Japanese blood plums off our tree.
I managed to rescue enough plums from the Sulfur Crested Cockie's and Rainbow lorikeets before they smashed every plum on the tree.
The sauce takes quite a bit of time to make, sort of like an AG brew day but well worth it as it lasts for years in the jars.  I got 24 jars plus some extra to marinate some chicken wings that we are going to have on Thursday night.

I must admit I had a technical issue with my blender as I was pureeing the plums.
Normally I cook up the SPS batches outside on the BBQ burner ring as it can get quite messy and sticky.
This time due to forecast thunderstorms / rain I stupidly decided to do it in the kitchen.

Big mistake.  Normally I hold my hand over the top of the blender as I drop the plum halves into the pureed liquid.  For some reason it decided to splat and fly out the top just at the exact time when I removed my hand to reach for the lid.
Kitchen looked like a crime scene from CSI where they were investigating the disposal of a body in an insinkerator.
Luckily the wife was out, and I had enough time to clean everything up before she got home.

NO, I did not take any crime scene pics and NO, it’s not funny!

Spicy Plum Sauce Batch 30Jan2022 - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 1/30/2022 at 3:52 PM, Mickep said:

Also stopped buying pre -shredded cheese - just buying the Moz blocks now and grating it at home.

Yep me too.  Also have stopped buying the pre-shredded ham too as its nearly 30 % saline solution.  I now buy a mini ham of the bone and shred what I need off that, the rest is used for lunch sandwiches and croissants at breakie / brunch time.

PS you can make a pizza for me anytime Mick, looks damn good.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep me too.  Also have stopped buying the pre-shredded ham too as its nearly 30 % saline solution.  I now buy a mini ham of the bone and shred what I need off that, the rest is used for lunch sandwiches and croissants at breakie / brunch time.

PS you can make a pizza for me anytime Mick, looks damn good.

Most of the stuff Cheese/Ham etc packaged is purely for convenience & as you point out it is mostly water & preserveatives.

There is nothing better than getting a good AUS made or imported more expensive Parmesan to grate onto your fresh pasta sauce or as you say invest in to some ham on the bone for shredding, the more we can avoid this packaged s... the better. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 4:42 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

So Boozer can you check I got this right in me head please ; )

FESTIVE FRITES STEPS:

1. Spuds peeled and cut evenly as possible

2. Par Boil for 5 MINUTES? in water and vinegar and salt - sorta how much vinegar and salt in the pot and it was 5 mins?

I thought that " meant inches?

3. Air dry that par-boiled-spud-chip product for a few hours to dry nicely

4. Then in the Tefffal u-beaut Fryer with @Pickles Jones Pickles Blue oil recovery container (that's right Pickles - after cool - drain and filter into bue container - is there a filter yer gotta clean from time to time PJ?)

So how long in the Teffal boiling oil do they go Boozer? 5 minutes again?

5. Then in the Air Fryer - for how long and what temp?

But if you wanted to eat them straight away for yer dinner and using the Teffal deep frier as you got no Air Fryer...  then what?

A. Par-boiled 5 mins, cooled, dried

B. Deep fried in the Teffal - for 5 mins at 190 think @stquinto Sainter goes 160 to begin with - Temp in degrees C  - then pull out basket and let drain - do you let them sit over the hot oil - or ? - and for how long do you need to let them sit?

C. Then finish - last step before drain and serve - 180 or 190 for another 5 minutes?

So you would do that final deep fry in two-step with the cooling off period or can you bang them through after par-boil in one hit?

Sorry for being such a Pommes Frites Luddite all you Deep Frying Legends ; )

And thanks for your help in advance!

1. Spuds peeled and cut evenly as possible
Yes - I have one of these potato chippers which can cut either thin french fries or pub style chips.

2. Par Boil for 5 MINUTES? in water and vinegar and salt - sorta how much vinegar and salt in the pot and it was 5 mins?
With say 5 kg chipped spuds you need about 5 L of water (enough to cover the chips) 4 x teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.  Make sure you rinse the cut chips well before putting them in the pot of cold water.  Don't put them in boiling water.
I thought that " meant inches?
it also means minutes in navigation terms ( Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds).

3. Air dry that par-boiled-spud-chip product for a few hours to dry nicely
Yep I spread them out single layer on clean tea-towels to allow steam to get away.  A couple of hours would probably be enough. 

4. Then in the Tefffal u-beaut Fryer with @Pickles Jones Pickles Blue oil recovery container (that's right Pickles - after cool - drain and filter into bue container - is there a filter yer gotta clean from time to time PJ?)

The filter is part of the oil tub not the blue tank and after draining the oil into the blue tank you simply put the tub part/filter along with the deep fryer lid and the chip basket into the dishwasher.

So how long in the Teffal boiling oil do they go Boozer? 5 minutes again?
I do normal spud chips, small french fries size - oil on 190 C (max for this fryer) 5".
I do sweet potato chips, small french fries size  - oil on 190 C for 3" as these cook quicker.

5. Then in the Air Fryer - for how long and what temp?
Normal spud chips, small french fries size straight out of freezer (in future meals) - 200 C for 30".
Sweet potato chips, small french fries size straight out of freezer (in future meals)   - 200 C for 20".
It will depend on the air fryer and quantities of course - just monitor them on first go.

But if you wanted to eat them straight away for yer dinner and using the Teffal deep frier as you got no Air Fryer...  then what?

A. Par-boiled 5 mins, cooled, dried
Yep same as above.

B. Deep fried in the Teffal - for 5 mins at 190 think @stquinto Sainter goes 160 to begin with - Temp in degrees C  - then pull out basket and let drain - do you let them sit over the hot oil - or ? - and for how long do you need to let them sit?
I lift the basket up to drain a bit for a few minutes after first cook then sit the basket with chips in/over an oven tray until ready for second fry.  If you leave them over the hot oil they will go a bit soggy.

C. Then finish - last step before drain and serve - 180 or 190 for another 5 minutes?
I do a two person side serve of small cut potato french fries at 190 C for and 3 - 4" until golden and crisp then lift up and drain for a few minutes then tip them out into same baking tray,  sprinkle with chicken salt and shake that through the chips to coat then serve immediately.  Sweet potato aim for 190 C for 3", depend on how you like them.

So you would do that final deep fry in two-step with the cooling off period or can you bang them through after par-boil in one hit?
Probably best to do a two stage fry with a rest in between as you will need to get the oil back up to 190 C for second fry and this takes a few minutes anyway and I think they are better with a good rest in between anyway.  I have tried triple cooked and think double cooked is about the best balance between crispness and soft centres.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

All this food looks good fellas I just had a frozen lemon chicken meal before was a bit un organized before night shift would much rather what u blokes showing.

Tell Megan to cook you something then! Oh no hang on she does the telling apparently!

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 6:42 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

A. Par-boiled 5 mins, cooled, dried

B. Deep fried in the Teffal - for 5 mins at 190 think @stquinto Sainter goes 160 to begin with - Temp in degrees C  - then pull out basket and let drain - do you let them sit over the hot oil - or ? - and for how long do you need to let them sit?

So you would do that final deep fry in two-step with the cooling off period or can you bang them through after par-boil in one hit?

@Itinerant Peasant mate, just to clarify my technique: 

A: Par-boiled in salted,tap water from cold for up to 5 minutes if the chips are cut thick. If they aren't, bring them up to the boil then drain them straight away. You'll see which is best: it could depend on the spuds as well (obvs got to get chipper ones), you don't want them to be collapsing on you. Leave them to dry, if you want to do the first oil fry, dry them with a tea towel or kitchen paper.

B: I just heat the oil to the maximum on the chip pan - it's around 180° - 190°C. The 160° comes from a recommendation in a book ,but I left a thermometer in once and the temperature drops immediately you put the chips in so I go for the max on the dial.

C : Drain them in the basket over the oil, wait for it to get back up to max temp, then another 5 minutes. Sometimes if they are not getting golden enough I might lift them out, stop the timer, wait for the oil to heat up again,  and finish 'em off.

Like the reverse sear mate, once you've gone down this route, no way back 😉

Mind you, I've never tried an air fryer...

I agree with @iBooz2 's detailed comments, never tried with the vinegar but I will do, obvs malt vinegar rather than some high-falutin' balsamic or wine vinegar or whatever.

In terms of the time between the tow frying sessions,, I confirm that if you leave the chips over the fryer for too long they aren't the best. But if it's only to wait for the oil the get back up to max temp of 180/190° it's OK.

The most important thing if for the oil to be at 180/190°, and not to over crowd the basket. I do two batches, so if I end up doing the second fry in two parts, it can work out OK time-wise.

Happy frying !

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep me too.  Also have stopped buying the pre-shredded ham too as its nearly 30 % saline solution

Where I am the cheaper chicken breast meat is like that: a vile frothy scum comes off when you are frying it... 🤮

On 1/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, yab said:

This is my third go at a chook on the weber kettle. It seemed to cook quicker than my earlier attempts - hopefully will make good eating.

20220130_163725.jpg

Hey Yab, looks really good. Indirect heat - yes? I've smoked heaps of these suckers on the bullet smoker - love 'em especially with some wood chips.

• Like 4

Yes - that is correct, with some Apple wood for smoke. According to the temperature gauge on the lid it sat at about 190 for the first 50 mins or so, and then I wound it back to about 165 for another half hour because it looked like it was cooking too quickly. I am eating the left overs now.  It is pretty good - wife and son both happy!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Tonight was Pasta Marina or should I sa Chili Marinara 🥵 I added a few different Chilis that are known to be hot.

Anyway it was great, now I need to cool my throat down, Cheers.

20220201_191413.thumb.jpg.74ce15c58e19bff1e9004c3805c9d60d.jpg20220201_191430.thumb.jpg.7dc07de33f13d02712f6bb62a14b7203.jpg20220201_200405.thumb.jpg.406ba3ba60d5acc76385acaf17e3a066.jpg

Outstanding Phil , looks the real business 👍

Got a great tip off an Italian restaurant cook recently, to add an anchovy to the oil and garlic and let it melt gently. before putting in yer wine/tomatoes/whatever comes next. Give a bit of sea flavour to the dish, especially if it's mussels, which don't have masses of flavour by themselves.

Bon appétit 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Outstanding Phil , looks the real business 👍

Got a great tip off an Italian restaurant cook recently, to add an anchovy to the oil and garlic and let it melt gently. before putting in yer wine/tomatoes/whatever comes next. Give a bit of sea flavour to the dish, especially if it's mussels, which don't have masses of flavour by themselves.

Bon appétit 😉

Yes I agree, I use them a lot, usually buy them in the big snap seal jar, I love anchovies, I add them to everything I can. You have to be careful when you add salt to a dish though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I agree, I use them a lot, usually buy them in the big snap seal jar, I love anchovies, I add them to everything I can. You have to be careful when you add salt to a dish though.

True enough mate :  better to salt the plate than ruin the dish. I’m pretty bad though: I salt stuff like a bloody sailor. Get an ear full all the time from the ladies, but that’s par for the course. Even if I’ve cooked everything, I’m still wrong…

• Haha 2

A simple TV dinner tonight using my home made spicy plum sauce which I made on Sunday from the Japanese blood plums harvested off our tree.  Chicken wings, jasmine rice, sesame seeds and spring onions to garnish.

Basically 100 ml Spicy Blood Plum Sauce, 1 x tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 x tablespoon Hoisin sauce, 1 x tablespoon brown sugar all for the marinade.

Marinate chicken wings in a zip lock bag for 24 hours in the fridge.   Next day put chicken wings in a foil oven tray and add 1/2 cup hot water to the marinate bag in order to rinse last of marinate out of zip lock bag and drain that liquid into the foil tray as well.  Put the wings into a preheated oven or in my case a Weber Q at 180 C for 60"

Turn wings and baste them every 20" until cooked and sticky with the sauce.  Serve on a bed of steamed rice and drain foil tray juices over the top.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.

Sticky Spicy Plum Sauce Chicken Wings - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

A simple TV dinner tonight using my home made spicy plum sauce which I made on Sunday from the Japanese blood plums harvested off our tree.  Chicken wings, jasmine rice, sesame seeds and spring onions to garnish.

Basically 100 ml Spicy Blood Plum Sauce, 1 x tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 x tablespoon Hoisin sauce, 1 x tablespoon brown sugar all for the marinade.

Marinate chicken wings in a zip lock bag for 24 hours in the fridge.   Next day put chicken wings in a foil oven tray and add 1/2 cup hot water to the marinate bag in order to rinse last of marinate out of zip lock bag and drain that liquid into the foil tray as well.  Put the wings into a preheated oven or in my case a Weber Q at 180 C for 60"

Turn wings and baste them every 20" until cooked and sticky with the sauce.  Serve on a bed of steamed rice and drain foil tray juices over the top.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.

Nice Al 😋

• Like 3

These are especially for those of you festive Brewers out there who love RAW product 🥳

Hackepeter (pork) below - and then far below in a plated combo with Salmon Sashimi.

Various forms of baby Zook of course ; )

(And apologies yes - the whole baby Zookas were cooked ☹️)

image.thumb.png.acdb03eedb3b74399c4562794e6000c9.png

image.thumb.png.b73e5a89453d98411afacfd67fe5d045.png

image.thumb.png.ed09575ce79ff843e9dd44fc589b3652.png

• Like 4