Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll keep plugging away and  see if I can get that outside crust looking good.

The pizza looks great mate as is, but do you have an oven grill? Maybe just whack it under the grill for a few minutes....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Looks the goods there Sainter - reverse sear? Flat chips look damn good, and so does the sauce.

@Mickep certainls is The Reverse Sear mate ! All I do now, thanks to you fellas, if the steak is thick enough.

Sometimes it is hard to estimate how long the meat will take ot come up to 44° C (I aim for 9° C less than I normally cook to) and it might be ready 20 minutes before I am ready with the chips etc. In that case I open the oven door to stop it carrying on cooking.

With sous-vide you don't have that problem, you can leave it meat in its bag in the water for quite some time and it won't affect the internal temperature. The problem though is the sear: the meat really needs drying out as it is a vile, flabby, grey mess when it comes out of the bag. I sear using one of those blow torches you use to burn weeds in the garden but the gas is maily butane. You get much better heat off propane but you can't buy small canisters where I am, I think they are illegal. So reverse sear is for me !

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stquinto said:

@Mickep certainls is The Reverse Sear mate ! All I do now, thanks to you fellas, if the steak is thick enough.

Sometimes it is hard to estimate how long the meat will take ot come up to 44° C (I aim for 9° C less than I normally cook to) and it might be ready 20 minutes before I am ready with the chips etc. In that case I open the oven door to stop it carrying on cooking.

With sous-vide you don't have that problem, you can leave it meat in its bag in the water for quite some time and it won't affect the internal temperature. The problem though is the sear: the meat really needs drying out as it is a vile, flabby, grey mess when it comes out of the bag. I sear using one of those blow torches you use to burn weeds in the garden but the gas is maily butane. You get much better heat off propane but you can't buy small canisters where I am, I think they are illegal. So reverse sear is for me !

@stquinto your meal looks good, I also like simplicity & having different ingredients/styles of potatoes - Chips/Sauteed/Stamed/Boiled & a simple salad whatever but for christ's sake man cook you meat !!  😬 Ha Ha each to their own but I cannot eat it that rare - blue. We do what we do but I am a medium steak person, others I know like theirs well don, what a waste of meat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Yup, no ‘blue’ pork for me, that’s for IP and his raw mince 😲 

I know what you mean, tonight I am doing Curried Sausages, sounds boring but if you go to a lot of trouble & add the appropriate ingredients, must have sultanas, it can be a very nice meal, of course it will be hot but full of flavour. I will be serving it with my version of Special Fried Rice & Papadum's & you know what. 🥘

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Yup, no ‘blue’ pork for me, that’s for IP and his raw mince 😲 

Yum that Porker looks great Cobber.  As for the raw pork mince Hackepeter yummie am hoping to have some again soon so I must make sure to post it for you @stquinto Sainter 😋 

What was the configuration of the spuds this time mate?  You called it "crushed potatoes"... sorta looks like a warm german-ish pot salad to me - is that the direction or have I gone up a dry gully?

Probs doesn't matter anyway as am trying to cut the carbs for a while and go -- protein of some sort -- and non-starch veg of all sorts pretty much -- but I can dream of beautiful spud delights haha! 😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yum that Porker looks great Cobber.  As for the raw pork mince Hackepeter yummie am hoping to have some again soon so I must make sure to post it for you @stquinto Sainter 😋 

What was the configuration of the spuds this time mate?  You called it "crushed potatoes"... sorta looks like a warm german-ish pot salad to me - is that the direction or have I gone up a dry gully?

Probs doesn't matter anyway as am trying to cut the carbs for a while and go -- protein of some sort -- and non-starch veg of all sorts pretty much -- but I can dream of beautiful spud delights haha! 😆

I boiled small, new spuds for 20 minutes with a cuppla peeled garlic cloves in the water. Then fried up (no colour to them) some finely-chopped  scallions in a good slosh of olive oil. 
Drain the spuds, and roughly mash ‘em with a fork. Then mix in the scallions with the oil, add some chopped herbs, a few chopped gherkins and a big spoon of grainy mustard. Yum yum!

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, Pickles Jones said:

We use Beef Dripping or Rice Bran Oil depending on what we want to deep fry. The Tefal fryer as below,  filters the oil/dripping removing the bits out of the oil/dripping as it drains into the container (blue) below. I bought an extra container so we can use oil or dripping what ever is best. The cleaned oil/dripping lasts for months when the containers are kept in the fridge. You may not need to fridge depending on the ambient temperatures.

Thanks PJ for recommending this Tefal Fryer, I went out and bought one.  I do big batches of chips and freeze in meal sized zip lock bags for later dinner sides and have always used my Sunbeam slow cooker which has a sear mode.  The sear will get the oil up to 180 C to do batches but the recovery time was terrible took 25" or more.

Yesterday was chip making day, 10 kg spuds and 5 kg of sweet potato all turned into french fries.  Very happy with the recovery time of the Tefal set on 190 C recovery between batches was only 4 " so got through them pretty quickly.

I par boil in water with vinegar and salt for 5 " (from cold) then spread them out on multiple tea-towels and air dry them for hours.  Have the lot all "first fried" cooled then bagged up and in the freezer for future consumption when they will be put through the air-fryer.

Today is Plum Sauce making day.  Going to make a Chinese style plum sauce out of home grown blood plums.  Last year we were up at Tewantin QLD and on the wharf there one of the restaurants sold Duck Spring Rolls with plum sauce so I am trying to replicate that sauce.  We guts ourselves on those rolls, beers and wine, a good day/evening.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Today is Plum Sauce making day.  Going to make a Chinese style plum sauce out of home grown blood plums.  Last year we were up at Tewantin QLD and on the wharf there one of the restaurants sold Duck Spring Rolls with plum sauce so I am trying to replicate that sauce.  We guts ourselves on those rolls, beers and wine, a good day/evening.

Yum they sound real good, last year I made a Chili Nectarine Jam - the type you would use on a cheese plate or charcuterie etc.

Is was pleasantly sweet, hot & only too hot for some but you can cut down on the chili.

I am going to try it with plums this time as I feel that would also work.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Very basic Pizza, made for the Bride really - not a fan of pineapple but had to go with it.

Also stopped buying pre -shredded cheese - just buying the Moz blocks now and grating it at home.

Nice looking Pizza,

I actually don't mind a bit of pineapple on a pizza especially if you have got Trinidad Scorpion or Carolina Reaper Chili on it 🥵

I agree fresh grated cheese always tastes better.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice looking Pizza,

I actually don't mind a bit of pineapple on a pizza especially if you have got Trinidad Scorpion or Carolina Reaper Chili on it 🥵

I agree fresh grated cheese always tastes better.

Thanks Phil, it had some hot green chillies in there...maybe not as hot as some but hot enough. The cheese thing was suggested to me recently by a mate of mine who is a foodie of note. Trying to do away with all the food that has  anti caking agent included in it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yesterday was chip making day, 10 kg spuds and 5 kg of sweet potato all turned into french fries.  Very happy with the recovery time of the Tefal set on 190 C recovery between batches was only 4 " so got through them pretty quickly.

I par boil in water with vinegar and salt for 5 " (from cold) then spread them out on multiple tea-towels and air dry them for hours.  Have the lot all "first fried" cooled then bagged up and in the freezer for future consumption when they will be put through the air-fryer.

So Boozer can you check I got this right in me head please ; )

FESTIVE FRITES STEPS:

1. Spuds peeled and cut evenly as possible

2. Par Boil for 5 MINUTES? in water and vinegar and salt - sorta how much vinegar and salt in the pot and it was 5 mins?

I thought that " meant inches?

3. Air dry that par-boiled-spud-chip product for a few hours to dry nicely

4. Then in the Tefffal u-beaut Fryer with @Pickles Jones Pickles Blue oil recovery container (that's right Pickles - after cool - drain and filter into bue container - is there a filter yer gotta clean from time to time PJ?)

So how long in the Teffal boiling oil do they go Boozer? 5 minutes again?

5. Then in the Air Fryer - for how long and what temp?

But if you wanted to eat them straight away for yer dinner and using the Teffal deep frier as you got no Air Fryer...  then what?

A. Par-boiled 5 mins, cooled, dried

B. Deep fried in the Teffal - for 5 mins at 190 think @stquinto Sainter goes 160 to begin with - Temp in degrees C  - then pull out basket and let drain - do you let them sit over the hot oil - or ? - and for how long do you need to let them sit?

C. Then finish - last step before drain and serve - 180 or 190 for another 5 minutes?

So you would do that final deep fry in two-step with the cooling off period or can you bang them through after par-boil in one hit?

Sorry for being such a Pommes Frites Luddite all you Deep Frying Legends ; )

And thanks for your help in advance!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

4. Then in the Tefffal u-beaut Fryer with @Pickles Jones Pickles Blue oil recovery container (that's right Pickles - after cool - drain and filter into bue container - is there a filter yer gotta clean from time to time PJ?)

No you can drain hot oil into the blue container. It flows better through the strainer easier when hot/thin. I usually drain the oil straight away when finished frying.

You can then remove the blue container when oil has drained out. And store it away in the fridge or slide it back into its place in the fryer. Depends on the ambient temperature.  I store it in the fridge, so it doesn't go off, until next use and then the pour oil back into fryer. 

The fryer comes to pieces for easy cleaning. The filtering mesh is about 30mm in diameter and fixed, you clean it when washing the fryer. No pulling to pieces or unscrewing !!

Works well.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Some crackingly good mountain bike trails there, lovely spot.

Yes I know as I did some of them.

Tried to take a short cut from the Botanical gardens back into Tewantin and accidentally found some.

Problem was I was towing a 9 metre caravan at that time so we had some hair raising moments 😬 and astonished some National Park staff. 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 2