Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

34 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have to agree Pressure Cookers are the real deal, I will be buying a new one shortly, the old one is a bit Karked. 

i love this extra wide one with the oval bowl. i haven't done any slow cooks yet, it's been pressure all the way. best rice i've ever made (blows my panasonic rice cooker out of the water).

currently doing the lamb in that while the other round one has done some rice and now some spuds for mashing. i'll pop some pics up once the lamb is done.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

There are three schools out there, all claim their way is the true way. Some people do remove the skin like my dad. He cuts the sausage length wise and then scrapes the two halves off the skin. Then there are those who eat the skin, like me. I just slice the sausage with skin and eat it. And of course there is the famous "zuzln", where people suckle the sausage from the skin.

I actually saw that when I Googled them AK, I have obviously never had them but I guess you would work out what method suits you best.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i love this extra wide one with the oval bowl. i haven't done any slow cooks yet, it's been pressure all the way. best rice i've ever made (blows my panasonic rice cooker out of the water).

currently doing the lamb in that while the other round one has done some rice and now some spuds for mashing. i'll pop some pics up once the lamb is done.

Yep I actually have been using them for years, back in the old days they were quite primitive but now it's a whole new ball game.

My memories of the first ever meal I ever cooked in one was an Irish Stew, Lean trimmed forequarter chops, Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Cabbage, a bit of stock & thyme & parsley, it was awesome, you could shake the meat off the bone & of course seasoned.

It is still good today.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yep I actually have been using them for years, back in the old days they were quite primitive but now it's a whole new ball game.

Years ago they were simple, close the lid and put the weight on the outlet spout which was located on the lid and leave it alone to do its job. Couldn't get much simpler and it was no fuss and worked.

Today you have a electronic selection pad on the front which will turn the cooker off and on and allow you to use it as a slow cooker and as bonus get you totally confused.

The old school ones are quiet desirable now as they are uncomplicated, no fuss and work as they were intended to.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I actually saw that when I Googled them AK, I have obviously never had them but I guess you would work out what method suits you best.

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

There are three schools out there, all claim their way is the true way. Some people do remove the skin like my dad. He cuts the sausage length wise and then scrapes the two halves off the skin. Then there are those who eat the skin, like me. I just slice the sausage with skin and eat it. And of course there is the famous "zuzln", where people suckle the sausage from the skin.

I just googled it too. Wouldn’t want anyone filming me doing the “zuzln” then ten years later running for politics and the video came out 😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

I just googled it too. Wouldn’t want anyone filming me doing the “zuzln” then ten years later running for politics and the video came out 😵

Reminds me of those that suck the guts & sh** out Yabbies, put's me right off. I can eat my share anytime but in a more civilised manner

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Popo said:

I'd love to fork out for a pizza oven but the Weber does alright. The base is crispy but I can't brown up the edges.

Pizza looks good but have you tried blind baking the pastry first for 5 mins ? ( for those that don't know it means cook for a short while without filling ) or maybe slightly smaller bases.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Popo said:

I'd love to fork out for a pizza oven but the Weber does alright. The base is crispy but I can't brown up the edges.IMG_20220123_103709.thumb.jpg.1c772b376aa54024d12182158a2fd590.jpg

Do you use a pizza stone, Popo? I'm not sure that's the solution for browning the edges but it could be worth a try if you aren't using one. I got a couple from BigW for $20 each. Not that I'd recommend them because one cracked I believe from getting too hot but you can get pizza stones cheaper than Weber's $70 offering.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Popo said:

Yeah, I use a pizza stone. Nice and hot. Well, as hot as I can get it. The underside of the base is perfect but those edges... Still tastes good and they are crispy just not browning up.

Hmm. Maybe one of the more chef types on here might have a solution. I see Classic has already made a suggestion.
I wonder if a light brushing of olive oil might do the trick? I don't know. It's just an idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Pizza looks good but have you tried blind baking the pastry first for 5 mins ? ( for those that don't know it means cook for a short while without filling ) or maybe slightly smaller bases.

I assume you use OO flour which is a higher quality for Pizza, if the bases are thin enough & the filling is not too wet ( it won't get enough time to dry out ) you should end up with crispy bases including the edges, I have got an older style weber but I have had success in the 4-burner hooded BBQ preheated to 220-250c & they turn out fine.

Now I cheat & mostly use my Air Fryer which has a Pizza Function.

I also do them in the oven on one of these trays with the holes. Good luck with your Pizza's.

Non-stick Pizza Baking Pan Tray with Holes Household Baking

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Yeah, I use a pizza stone. Nice and hot. Well, as hot as I can get it. The underside of the base is perfect but those edges... Still tastes good and they are crispy just not browning up.

@Popo , I have two Weber Q's (one mounted in my caravan on a slide out), both with pizza stones and the trick is not to get the pizza stone too hot before you slide the pizza on.   If you do the bases cook before the filling on the top has a chance.   The top obviously cooks from the reflected heat above it not heat transfer up through the stone.
Also use a trivet to get the stone up off the grill and plate sections so not as direct heat to the stone.  Crush a big aluminium tray down flat to form a heat deflector and place this under the trivet.  This will force the heat up and around the pizza.
My homemade pizza are pretty loaded up with toppings so now have learnt to give the pizza stone about 10 - 15" to warm up a bit, slide the pizza tray and pizza on then leave the Weber Q gas turned up high, (both burners if you have a Q with two burners).
I leave the pizza on the SS tray when on the stone during cooking this helps keep the stone clean as possible.
Hope that helps with your next pizza night.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

That really looks the business Stickers mate! How long in the gizmo?

seared each side for 5 mins in the unit on the sear function, then set for 80 minutes at high pressure (takes approx 10 mins of getting up to pressure at the start and then 10 mins depressurising at the end - so 100 minutes after searing). used 250ml of beef stock and 120ml shiraz as the liquid.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stquinto said:

Dunno mate that looks pretty amazing as is 👍

Yeah @Popo am with Sainter @stquinto on this one - that Pizza of yours looks pretty blllllardy good as it is mate! Yummmo!!

I also use the Baby Weber outside w Stainless Plate and Pizza Stone under and works pretty good cooking outdoors...

Then inside - the ol' Hot Dutch Oven Bread stooge - heat heavy cast iron Dutch Oven heated to whatever your oven can provide like for around halfer - w lid on - slide pizza in (I usually use a bit of kitchen paper under) - bake w lid on first - then w lid off - but then also up above on next shelf have Pizza Stone which has been in there heating up to raging hot temps all the time along as well... seems to be pretty effective.  I learned to do the Dutch Oven method for me bread when I am baking bread (but I go without the stone above -- otherwise it seems to make the crust too dark for my liking)...

image.thumb.png.bc7a4ce33e4b8c31c889b460aadee7c1.png

We did a Pizza Bianca that evening as well was a beaut... slightly less browning on edges...  just a timing thing really I think... and it went well w the black brew haha ; )

image.png.b7560be149f5e756bcf4e2264ca0bef1.png

White Pizza w Black Beer woohoo... Pizza Bianco e Birra Nero

image.thumb.png.3810c6672d18c0c74f083a05e966cab3.png

Cheers Brewers 👍

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yeah @Popo am with Sainter @stquinto on this one - that Pizza of yours looks pretty blllllardy good as it is mate! Yummmo!!

I also use the Baby Weber outside w Stainless Plate and Pizza Stone under and works pretty good cooking outdoors...

Then inside - the ol' Hot Dutch Oven Bread stooge - heat heavy cast iron Dutch Oven heated to whatever your oven can provide like for around halfer - w lid on - slide pizza in (I usually use a bit of kitchen paper under) - bake w lid on first - then w lid off - but then also up above on next shelf have Pizza Stone which has been in there heating up to raging hot temps all the time along as well... seems to be pretty effective.  I learned to do the Dutch Oven method for me bread when I am baking bread (but I go without the stone above -- otherwise it seems to make the crust too dark for my liking)...

image.thumb.png.bc7a4ce33e4b8c31c889b460aadee7c1.png

We did a Pizza Bianca that evening as well was a beaut... slightly less browning on edges...  just a timing thing really I think... and it went well w the black brew haha ; )

image.png.b7560be149f5e756bcf4e2264ca0bef1.png

White Pizza w Black Beer woohoo... Pizza Bianco e Birra Nero

image.thumb.png.3810c6672d18c0c74f083a05e966cab3.png

Cheers Brewers 👍

Now these are some awesome looking mafia cakes. Looks like I need to make pizza again 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3