Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Another one to satisfy the masses.. this currently rates 1st for my 'commercial' tap.

Coopers Pale Ale tin

Wheat Malt extract 

250g light crystal malt soaked overnight

US05 yeast

Tastes good. Especially at lunch on a work day.

20210107_130152.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The Rye - cleared up nicely with more time in the keg - and as usual the keg is probably just about to blow... think I would drop the dark grains next time and let the Rye shine ; )

Interesting what difference a narrower glass makes too 🤔  Thanks for the inspiration to do this Rye @Green Blob GB!

image.thumb.png.230647eba33e36c62006f19546812889.png

• Like 9

@Graubart that glass isn't more narrow your on the wrong side of that fence its perception 😅

@Stickers are you visiting graubart? your on the other side of that fence next to that one he was on the wrong side of. 

I used to be the class clown but for some reason wasn't good enough to be a comedian i was booed of stage once.

• Haha 5

Citra XPA Fresh Wort Kit. Was going to give out a slug last night but someone brought home a slab of cans from work after the lockdown advisement and put them on the table.

Very nice beer after a rainy but busy day laying flooring at the old place. Nicely balanced, obviously a good slug of wheat in there but not too much so it tastes like a wheat beer. Citra always rocks but if I do it again I might see if I can get some cryo hops for the dry hop.

7AF0805E-1450-4A7A-9B3C-7041ED6CF69F.jpeg

• Like 10

First dive into this latest Kveik Voss fermented Golden ale.  Gladfiled Pilsner malt, some light crystal and a good dose of Simcoe and Centennial.  No complaints!

AND...   I forgot the whilfloc in this one...   but seriously, who needs it?   Two day CC and gelatine is clearly (pun intended) enough! 

Simtennial_Jan2020.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

My version of the Coopers K&K Heritage Lager recipe.  This batch was laid down on 28 April 2020 and bottled on 19/05/2020.  It was tweaked a little from the original recipe for my mate who wants me to brew some crown lager or VB copies. Sad!  He does not like hoppy beers and I am trying to sway him over to craft brews and appreciate the different tastes but my efforts so far are in vain.

Anyway these bottles are starting to surface now, after a big reshuffle of the layers of stored grog in my big lagering freezer which has held these and other bottles at 2 C for months now.

Now everyone knocks the OD lager tin but for mine with a few tweaks it produces a very nice beer.  I have substituted this can in the Pacific Summer Ale recipe and not noticed the difference so all good there, so no big deal if you don't have the right can on hand.  Such a simple and cheap as possible K&K recipe, such a easy drinking beer after 7 plus months. 

Volume 23 L

1 x Coopers Lager tin

2 x 500 g light dry malt extract.

250 g white sugar

Just 12 g Tettnanger hops steeped in coffee plunger for 10"

2 sachets of W-34/70 lager yeast

Fermented out at 13 C

Bottled on the 19/05/2020 using the @MUZZY method for carbonating PET bottles.  Now after all this time I still reckon we need to take this a step further when using PET's so I am recommending 2 x CSR white cubes per PET bottle forget the carb drops.  Do not use this method if using glass long necks, stick to the carbonation drops or plus 1 x sugar cube (whatever works for you).

Next time I bottle I will be using 2 x CSR cubes and will report the difference in due course.  If anyone else is bottling soon give this a crack and report back please.

I reckon a grain steep to help head formation and head retention would be the next step forward in this recipe particularly if you cold crash the FV for as long as I do so probably less viable yeast go into the bottles.

Cheers - AL

Heritage Lager - my version resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 9

Here is another lager, a lucky dip into the big chest freezer gave birth to a bottle of True Aussie Lager which was bottled on 11/09/2020.

Again carbed up with the @MUZZY method and also in a quest to create better head and head retention this batch used 1 x can Canadian Blonde plus 1 x can Coopers LME as per @Graubart recommendation plus my trial of a steep of 100g caramunich #1 (which obviously did 1 fifths of FA).  In hindsight you must use 250 g minimum of grain steep to assist with the head.  Lesson learned.

Batch size 23 L

No additional hopping (for my mates sake) but nice to drink on a hot day like today none the less.

Cheers - AL

True Aussie Bitter 09Sept2020 resized.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, Titans19 said:

Another one to satisfy the masses.. this currently rates 1st for my 'commercial' tap.

Coopers Pale Ale tin

Wheat Malt extract 

250g light crystal malt soaked overnight

US05 yeast

Tastes good. Especially at lunch on a work day.

20210107_130152.jpg

So this went from penthouse to doghouse on about day 3 or 4 in the kegerator.

Any ideas why? I'm assuming I didn't clean well enough. I emptied the keg and cleaned with combo cleaner from LHBS and Stellasan, and then filled from FV straight away.

1 hour ago, Titans19 said:

So this went from penthouse to doghouse on about day 3 or 4 in the kegerator.

Any ideas why? I'm assuming I didn't clean well enough. I emptied the keg and cleaned with combo cleaner from LHBS and Stellasan, and then filled from FV straight away.

Did you do a good flush of the combo cleaner?  I use the PBW from kegland and always do a good flush with 2 x hot water pressurise and push the hot water out through the liquid posts etc.  Then 3 x cold water pushing it out through the posts as well.  After that sanitise as normal.

Maybe oxidation.  What does it smell like when poured into a glass? Hoppy and fresh, sour-ish, mouldy, muddy, musty?  And the taste can you best describe it?

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Did you do a good flush of the combo cleaner?  I use the PBW from kegland and always do a good flush with 2 x hot water pressurise and push the hot water out through the liquid posts etc.  Then 3 x cold water pushing it out through the posts as well.  After that sanitise as normal.

Maybe oxidation.  What does it smell like when poured into a glass? Hoppy and fresh, sour-ish, mouldy, muddy, musty?  And the taste can you best describe it?

Cheers - AL

I definitely don't go to those lengths.. when washing out the combo cleaner I just hold the keg upside down and spray the hose up the liquid line and then all around in the keg.. maybe there may have been some residue??

I poured a glass and asked my wife what she thought if the smell. She quickly said off yeast as she knows the smell from cooking.. I would have said an off sour smell but I didn't know if it was just in my head. Hence asking the wife.

Taste wise it just tastes like one of my old brews I used to do before temp control and knowing what I was doing (still don't really)... just your stereotypical old home brew from the crazy uncle Tez.. Its drinkable but you politely decline the second.. The bit that confuses me though is it was ace the first 2 days, then come the weekend it turned bad?.. maybe it'll taste better again when I'm back at work 🙂

so you think it was cleaning? Or brewing process?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2