Coopers Community

Brew chosen & paid entry fee today, email in the inbox.

Time to print label, adhere & deliver to the LHBS by Wednesday the 31st July!! That's still an hour & half drive away fortunately I need a few more supplies.

Hardest part was deciding which brew to run with. Did others have the same indecision issue or is it just me??

Been fun mucking around with a few different brews over the last few months.

At least I have backed myself to enter with the realistic expectation of not gaining any accolades but good to support the initiative by Coops.

Best of luck to all & hope someone from this Forum shines through.

Cheers

• Like 8

5 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Hardest part was deciding which brew to run with. Did others have the same indecision issue or is it just me??

No, I had pretty much decided to go purely all-grain at the time due to having too much beer on hand, so mine was a special one-off brew.

I did have some awesome kit beers in the cupboard but they were all too high ABV for the comp rules. Since then I added another kit brew to my cupboard just for fun, but again too high an ABV to enter.

Cheers, 

John 

20 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I did have some awesome kit beers in the cupboard but they were all too high ABV for the comp rules. Since then I added another kit brew to my cupboard just for fun, but again too high an ABV to enter.

Cheers, 

John 

Wow, think the Comp threshold for the ABV was below 7.8%, you must be brewing some seriously strong brews.

What flavour are your high ABVs' in your cupboard?

3 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Wow, think the Comp threshold for the ABV was below 7.8%, you must be brewing some seriously strong brews.

What flavour are your high ABVs' in your cupboard?

An 1800s style English IPA, an oaked imperial black saison and a Black DIPL.

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

Just a quick question for Coopers regarding the MOTB competition given judgement day is not far away...

In the FAQ's, along with the terms & conditions I couldn't see a date when winning entrants would be notified. Any idea @Coopers DIY Beer Team @Coopers ? 

I'm not expecting a call, but some lucky winners likely will be, so just thought I'd ask about the timeframe of this process.

Also, for Coopers Club members, you would have received a discount code in recent weeks that will give you a further discount above your Club discount on Coopers DIY product purchases over $50 through the online store. I used mine a little earlier today & saved a few dollars against going to my LHBS for these ingredients & get them delivered to boot.

This offer expires @ 4.00pm tomorrow, so take advantage of it while you can. 😉

Cheers & good luck to all entrants in the competition.

Lusty.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I couldn't see a date when winning entrants would be notified. Any idea

Please keep in mind that we haven't run this sort of competition before.  So, to some extent "we don't know what we don't know"!

Yes, we are a bit vague on the notification dates (state winners and overall winner).  Why?  There are a number of pieces contributing to the final MOTB prize (puzzle).  These include, state judging, notification of a deadline for submission of the next brew that state winners are required to submit.  Also, allowance for discussions with the winning brewer (there is always a possibility that the first winner decides, for whatever reason, to NOT have their recipe brewed by us).

Because I'm not involved with this project directly, I may have missed some other important factors...

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Gazzala said:

I’m a Coopers Club member but don’t remember receiving a discount code recently - when was this Lusty?

Cheers,

Gaz.

Mine came from the Coopers MOTB team on 7/07/2019. I'd paid for my MOTB entry by that stage, so maybe the discount offer was linked to that? 🤔

I assumed it was from the Coopers Club because it stated there was still time to get any entry in & the offer was about giving a good price on Coopers product lines.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

3 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Um ... isn't there a "no glass" rule?

[edit] Hmmm, I may have just imagined this

Can you point to the clause in the MOTB T&C's that excludes glass bottles?

MOTB T&C's do state "bottles" with a preference for 740ml PET bottles. Understandable given relocation etc.

Think you imagined it Ruddy?

6 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

2117292835_MOTBBot.thumb.JPG.6b46f4db56acf81fc899be1ab55b08d3.JPG

On the delivery run to the LHBS with the precious cargo. Cutting it fine!!

@Norris!My LBHS (Brew by You in Moonah) was delighted to receive my entry and was right onto onforwarding to where it needed to go too.

I was satisfied he was not going to drink it & send a recapped fizzy bottle of water to Coopers.

Mind you no receipt was provided so a high level of trust involved in this transaction.

Cheers

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gazzala said:

Ah I see! I didn’t enter so obviously the reason I didn’t receive one.

Thanks for curing my FOMO! 😂

I received mine before I'd entered and paid for my entry - I believe you had to sign up for updates, upon doing that, they sent the code.

This is the line in the email:

Great work, beer lover - you're in the draw to win $250 worth of DIY beer gear.

So basically if you entered the draw to win the diy beer gear, you'd get a code.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:38 PM, Beerlust said:

Hi Beervis.

US-05 on it's own is not meant to be a high head development/high head retention strain of yeast to use if you want these qualities in your final beer. That said, you can create those elements by using a smarter malt grist that leaves more (unfermentable) body behind in the beer whilst still using this strain of yeast to ferment the beer.

Carbonation levels are a result of available secondary sugars for yeast to chomp on once bottled & capped. Head development & retention is a result largely influenced by the malt grist you use. Certain yeast strains can influence that though.

What are the malt grists you are using with your US-05 brews, & what is the level of secondary sugars you are adding at bottling time?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty,

I've mostly been brewing Cooper's ROTM's and a few all extract small batch beers, plus some basic K+K's.  Most of the beers brewed with US-05 use a kit base, plus some steeped crystal, extra LDM or LME.  Some of the dry hopped beers have had better head retention.  I'm carbonating them usually with carb drops or the loose sugar equivalent (per bottle, not bulk primed).   Sometimes I think this is in my head, or it could be an effect of kit taste or something.  However I have had better results using other yeast strains.

cheers! 

7 hours ago, Beervis said:

Hi Lusty,

I've mostly been brewing Cooper's ROTM's and a few all extract small batch beers, plus some basic K+K's.  Most of the beers brewed with US-05 use a kit base, plus some steeped crystal, extra LDM or LME.  Some of the dry hopped beers have had better head retention.  I'm carbonating them usually with carb drops or the loose sugar equivalent (per bottle, not bulk primed).   Sometimes I think this is in my head, or it could be an effect of kit taste or something.  However I have had better results using other yeast strains.

cheers! 

You appear to have good malt depth in your beers that is a good thing for head development & retention. 🙂

Do you rehydrate your dry yeast or pitch dry?

Have you taken notice of how long after you've pitched your yeast that obvious signs of primary fermentation have begun?

How long after bottling are you usually drinking them?

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:13 PM, YeastyBoy said:

Can you point to the clause in the MOTB T&C's that excludes glass bottles?

Nope - I went back and had a look before which is why I think I imagined it. In fact, that thing you quoted about their preference for PET is probably what I was remembering

Hey Brewers!

Entries to Master of the Brewniverse are now closed and we are thrilled with the variety of entries submitted! We are sorting through the entries and preparing them for judging in a few weeks.

Qualifying state finalists will be contacted by our team in late August and given the opportunity to re-brew (the same recipe) for the national judging!   

Due to the high number of entries and logistics of state judgings, we had decided to take a streamlined judging approach and no feedback will be provided, as outlined in the Terms & Conditions. The exception is state finalists who can request their score when they are contacted about success of their entry.  

Good luck to all entrants - we are one step closer to discovering the Master of the Brewniverse!

Cheers,

Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1