Coopers Community

38 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

two tradies discussing the beer selection

“ what about this mate , Little Creatures Pale ale for   a pineapple”

” tastes likes flowers mate, yeah nah grab the iron jack you poof”

Paddy,

By gingoes that puts a bad light on us tradies. I’ll narrow it down to either plumbers or grano workers. Us carpenters are much more sophisticated 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Excellent. Top Marks to Coopers for running this MOTB.

I am definitely going to give it whirl. Not likely to win however got to be in it to win or maybe even get a honourable mention.

Pleased they have put a nominal entry fee on a total of 3000 entries.

Cheers

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Paddy,

By gingoes that puts a bad light on us tradies. I’ll narrow it down to either plumbers or grano workers. Us carpenters are much more sophisticated 

Haha the Dans is in Balcatta, the less said about the place the better 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Iron jack. What a piss poor excuse for a beer.

Agreed. Iron Jack, Great Northern, same shit, different label.

This relatively new stuff takes the cake though... Hahn Ultra Crisp Gluten Free.

I love the description given. The guy must have been semi-conscious when he wrote that. 🙄

I just don't get where they're going with all this. If I wanted to drink water, I'd bloody buy water!!

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Agreed. Iron Jack, Great Northern, same shit, different label.

This relatively new stuff takes the cake though... Hahn Ultra Crisp Gluten Free.

I love the description given. The guy must have been semi-conscious when he wrote that. 🙄

I just don't get where they're going with all this. If I wanted to drink water, I'd bloody buy water!!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty I agree. Hence why I posted my great northern super Crisp clone recipe on here the other day. AKA soda stream...

Hahn's Ultra Crisp is a rice beer. Hahn is likely trying to capitalize on the global move away from gluten. A lot of people are adopting a gluten free diet without ever being tested, based on scientifically questionable books like, "Wheat Belly," and "Grain Brian." You can see the phenomenon in action on menus in restaurants. Almost all restaurants now list a couple of gluten free options, and some are going gluten free altogether, to differentiate themselves from the competition. The gluten free section in grocery stores keeps getting bigger. Gluten free food production is big business. 

Although Clarity Ferm reduces gluten levels in barley based beers to safe levels for celiac suffers, most non-celiacs who are adopting a gluten free diet would never touch a barley based beer. Being gluten free is like a religion.

The Canadian prairies used to be synonymous with wheat fields, but because of falling demand a lot of farmers have had to switch to growing other crops like canola and lentils.

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Gluten free religion... The Canadian prairies used to be synonymous with wheat fields...

Sometimes I think the whole world's going mad Christina.

I guess it's a blessing in a way for those who are Celiac since there's a lot more options available now, but also a curse in that they are now tarred with the same 'fad' brush.

John

50 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Sometimes I think the whole world's going mad Christina.

I guess it's a blessing in a way for those who are Celiac since there's a lot more options available now, but also a curse in that they are now tarred with the same 'fad' brush.

John

Yes, you got that right John. And a lot of commercially prepared / packaged gluten free foods are loaded with sugar, MSG, and emulsifiers (in place of gluten) to bind things together. Emulsifiers are not good for the lining of your gut or your microbiome. 

Cheers,

Christina.

I'm afraid T&C number 21 disqualifies me. I was going to brew my Styx River Pale Ale. Even if I brewed another K&K I wouldn't be able to maintain the level of confidentiality for what would be deemed my best beer ever.

Number 21 sucks actually, can you imagine how deprived the global brewing fraternity would have been had Dr Smurto entered a similar competition all those years ago?

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Mixer

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I could not imagine the amount of beer that is going to be posted all around this great country of ours leading up to that judging.

There will be some very happy judges for sure !!!!!!!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tömmy8888 said:

There will be some very happy judges for sure !!!!!!!

Judging is actually hard work , made harder here by fact that entrants don't even have clear style guidelines to brew against .

Still be interesting to see what takes home the prize,  good luck to those entering 

4 hours ago, Scottie said:

I'm afraid T&C number 21 disqualifies me. I was going to brew my Styx River Pale Ale. Even if I brewed another K&K I wouldn't be able to maintain the level of confidentiality for what would be deemed my best beer ever.

Number 21 sucks actually, can you imagine how deprived the global brewing fraternity would have been had Dr Smurto entered a similar competition all those years ago?

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Mixer

I can see where you're coming from but what's to stop the winner from posting the recipe somewhere well after the brew has been brewed and sold? I'm guessing it's not gonna become a regular beer in the core range. 

Also, I'd suspect at least some of the folks who would enter it would have been tinkering with a recipe for some time, likely posting the variations already with other cats brewing them, like Dr Smurto's golden ale and my red ale (which isn't anywhere near as well known but a few here and on other forums have brewed it), so they're already out there and known about. 

If I was to enter it I would use my red ale, obviously having to substitute some of the base malt for a tin of extract. The recipe is already out there for all to see. But since I've just put a keg of it on tap and have other brews coming up, the timing is all wrong. 

If I were to enter I'd be ensuring it's a beer that will 

A:  sell in volume 

B: Use ingredients that are locally available in volume ( no experimental hop varieties ect)  

C.  Not compete against an existing Coopers product. 

A well brewed ESB would tick all those boxes and lend itself to an extract based brew .

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

If I were to enter I'd be ensuring it's a beer that will 

A:  sell in volume 

B: Use ingredients that are locally available in volume ( no experimental hop varieties ect)  

C.  Not compete against an existing Coopers product. 

A well brewed ESB would tick all those boxes and lend itself to an extract based brew .

I was thinking the same thing, but I was thinking a bitter of some liking, but yeah ESB does fit those bills.

Good post Mark.

By the time this comp is judged it will likely be spring time. Still deciding if I'll enter or not. The Mrs is encouraging me to surprisingly. Given the time of year it'll be judged I'll probably steer clear of anything too heavy lime a stout because it won't be in season. I, like a lot of others in here tend to brew a lot of hopped up pale ales etc, and given Cooper's is launching an XPA soon, then I doubt a beer in similar style will win out because it'll directly compete with their new product. 

The replies above from some very experienced brewers confirm my point exactly. This is not about the best beer or even recognising home brewers. It is a marketing exercise that is all about $$$. Trying to settle on the style most likely to 'win' says it all. Good luck to those wanting to be a part of it. For me, I'll settle for good beer and good times in my own bar with a nod to great products supplied by Coopers.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Oh crap, T&C #21 kinda sucks for me! I was going to make videos of course, but I suppose I won't be able to until the competition has ended. Glad you all picked up on that!

In another way though ... it does give me a chance to be a bit silly about entering as well so all is not lost.