Coopers Community

3 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Mine's been in the bottle for a week now ... but I have to remember that it's extract based (or is it?) and that I shouldn't taste any for at least another week. Then I'll decide whether to enter it or start again.

Similar stage to you although it's been a week or 2 longer in the bottle. Maybe I'll try one Friday night to decide whether or not it's worth entering. 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:40 PM, porschemad911 said:

Similar stage to you although it's been a week or 2 longer in the bottle. Maybe I'll try one Friday night to decide whether or not it's worth entering. 

I've been enjoying mine from the keg, but popped one of the bottles tonight as they can present a little different especially early. Carbonation level is good, but the head development is not as good as my kegged beer atm. Given the slower maturation of naturally conditioned beers in the bottle & that there is roughly another month before judging starts etc. I feel the beer will be at a better point by then.

So far, so good. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 4

I am re doing my entry. I did not get the kit flavour, very clean and crisp, but not enough hops for the style I wanted. I am fermenting my second attempt now. The fridge smells great, but haven't tasted it yet except for the OG, so fingers crossed. Good luck y'all.

I tried experiementing a little, which came out very drinkable but now going with an old favourite with a slight adjustment. It will be tight but should have 21 to 19 days to ferment in the bottle. I went with repeatability over trying to experiment, which I should of done first off, live and learn.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Still struggling to classify it though

Haha I've got the opposite problem. My beer looks and tastes pretty much spot on for the style but minus some crispness that will hopefully come in time.

But I'm not sure if I like it yet... Think I either prefer the bitterness to be way out of style guidelines or the kit base didn't provide enough IBUs post-fermentation to meet style guidelines.

I've had kit beers like this before that come into balance with some time, so hopefully this one will too... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

😁 A title never claimed by me! I do like the idea of the competition for a bit of fun though.

Everything is spot on. Except it's a bit salty.  In my spur of the moment wisdom, I thought it would be a good idea to add just a pinch of gypsum to my partial mash. I had it out with the other brewing gear and thought it couldn't hurt. It does hurt. Enough to taste the beer and know something is wrong 

I don't know much about water and additions and had only done a little bit of reading at the time. I have done a bit more now.

I'm not sure Gypsum leads to salty flavours, nothing in it should. 

I didn't bother making anything for this comp, but if I did I probably would have done something I knew 100% would turn out pretty much exactly how I wanted it to. Still interested to see what happens with it though.

6 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Mine's pretty bad actually and not at all what I intended ... should I enter anyway?

Probably not, save the $20. Unless you're confident everyone else's will be worse! Might be a case of 'no medal awarded in this category'. 

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Such masters, can't even get the beer to turn out as intended 😂😜

(I'm kidding around before anyone gets irate)

Haha I'm no master, but mine did turn out as intended. Just that I don't like what I intended lol. Let time work it's magic and maybe I'll like it. 

• Haha 1