Coopers Community

1 hour ago, rtotem1 said:

hello everyone im pretty new to brewing coopers mixes and i had good success with my coopers larger but i find it a little cloudy. I went online and look at some ideas ,this last batch of coopers larger i fermented it  with  brew enhancer#2 let it ferment for 5days until i got a  hydro reading of 1010 then instead of bottling i transfered it to another carboy. is this called Racking?

I aslo  read that this will clear beer for me. I want to know if i like the  beer set in the racking  carboy  will i still  be able to carbinate  with  the coopers surgar drop? 

The best way to clear your beer is to cold crash it at as close to 1C -2C as you can get.

Alternatively you can use finings to clear the beer.

There is not much point in transfering the beer to a carboy.

In this instance you could have transfered your beer directly into the bottles and then add carbonation drops and leave it.  This allows the secondary fermentation (carbonation) and conditioning to take place.

Beer will clear naturally without doing anything but it takes a very long time.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Collie said:

What is the alcohol tolerance of your 007 yeast? 

Hi Collie and welcome to the Forum.

Based on the various Coopers recipes that use the 007 yeast, most are in the range of 4 - 5.4%.  However, the 007 brew can yeast seems pretty alcohol tolerant.  Two of them are used in the 9.2% Russian Imperial Stout recipe.  Plus it is used in many of the 7.5% Coopers Vintage Ales along with the Australian Pale Ale's R3426 (which is a blend of 007 and a lager yeast).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 6:55 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Collie and welcome to the Forum.

Based on the various Coopers recipes that use the 007 yeast, most are in the range of 4 - 5.4%.  However, the 007 brew can yeast seems pretty alcohol tolerant.  Two of them are used in the 9.2% Russian Imperial Stout recipe.  Plus it is used in many of the 7.5% Coopers Vintage Ales along with the Australian Pale Ale's R3426 (which is a blend of 007 and a lager yeast).

This is precisely why you are called The Guru.

Mariska Hargitay. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 11:38 AM, Mickep said:

The Forums FAQ's section suggests I can use household unscented Bleach mixed with water to sanitize the fermenter and the accessories - is that correct?

I realise this is a very old thread but I've just come across it. I use a bleach ( 1 cup) and white vinegar (1/4 cup) combo for a fermenter full of water and leave to soak for a few hours. IMPORTANT: Mix bleach first with most of the water then add vinegar and rest of the water.DO NOT add vinegar to the undiluted bleach which will give off very toxic fumes.

Hose out fermenter at least three times ( don't forget to run the rinse water through the tap ) your nose will tell you when the bleach is all gone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

I realise this is a very old thread but I've just come across it. I use a bleach ( 1 cup) and white vinegar (1/4 cup) combo for a fermenter full of water and leave to soak for a few hours. IMPORTANT: Mix bleach first with most of the water then add vinegar and rest of the water.DO NOT add vinegar to the undiluted bleach which will give off very toxic fumes.

Hose out fermenter at least three times ( don't forget to run the rinse water through the tap ) your nose will tell you when the bleach is all gone.

For $10.00 you can buy 500ml of Stella San & you only need 25ml in 20-30 litres of water, I use a 50l plastic container with a lid from K-mart & you can re-use it for all of your equipment again & again, why muck about with bleach.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=73b132e4b09483e9d2d838f31c37c1a2JmltdHM9MTY1NzE0NTgzMyZpZ3VpZD0yYmFhY2IwZC0xZDBhLTQ3NGItOTQ5MS01YWU1OTNjZTk2ZDgmaW5zaWQ9NTQ0MA&ptn=3&hsh=2&fclid=62de23a0-fd79-11ec-8958-dfc4891c79e7&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cua2VnbGFuZC5jb20uYXUvcGhvc3Bob3JpYy1hY2lkLWJsZW5kLXNhbml0aXNlci01MDBtbC1zdGFyc2FuLmh0bWwjOn46dGV4dD1TdGVsbGFyU2FuJTIwU2FuaXRpc2VyJTIwNTAwbUwlMjAtJTIwMTAwJTI1JTIwRm9vZCUyMEdyYWRlJTIwbm9uLXJpbnNlLGl0JTIwd2lsbCUyMHN0YXJ0JTIwdG8lMjBmaWxsJTIwdGhhdCUyMGNoYW1iZXIlMjBvbmx5Lg&ntb=1

StellarSan Sanitizer is completely food grade and non-rinse. This phosphoric acid based sanitizer is a high foam, acid cleaner/sanitizer with a synergistic blend providing a unique killing system. This product is formulated to impart no off-odors or off-flavours and is a non-rinse sanitizer when used at the recommended concentrations. It is also stable over a high temperature range making it ideal for use in hot or cold water. StellarSan Sanitizer is effective against a large range of microbes including Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. The formulation is highly concentrated and will make over 300 Litres when diluted. You can also re-use the sanitiser over and over again making it even more cost effective. The phosphoric acid blend provides a unique killing system, unaffected by organic soils and delivering a high foaming formulation with optimum coverage and penetration. The formulation is made to impart no off-odors or flavours. Unlike other sanitizers it is non-staining, non-corrosive on stainless and stable over a wide range of temperatures. This sanitiser comes packaged in a convenient 2 chamber mixer container so you can easily measure the required amount simply by squeezing the bottle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

, why muck about with bleach.

Because Stella San is a sanitizer. It is not a disinfectant.

You should use a disinfectant on your fv to make sure all microorganisms are gone imo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tone boy said:

You should use a disinfectant on your fv to make sure all microorganisms are gone imo

I use StellarOxy, StellarClean & the aforementioned StellarSan for all of my cleaning/sanitsing procedures. 

In addition to that I have Bi Carbonate of Soda.

I have never had a problem with any infections or any issues with any of my equipment from bottles, FV's. Kegs, & all accessories.

There are Bicarbonate of soda benefits that you may be unaware of. Bicarbonate of soda is power-packed with antacid properties and is known to be a great alkalising agent. It is known to have many antiseptic properties along with being an amazing exfoliator.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I haven't used bleach in a long time. The only thing that comes into contact with the inside of my FVs is a plastic spoon to stir in finings, so there are no scratches of concern inside. I fill them with a sodium percarbonate solution and let them sit 24 hours, then they get a good rinse. Just before filling, I use 3l of Stellar San solution to sanitise them. This works rather well for me. I've had one infection in the last 3 years and have no clue where it snuck through. This may not be the perfect way of doing things of course but it appears to work. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I haven't used bleach in a long time. The only thing that comes into contact with the inside of my FVs is a plastic spoon to stir in finings, so there are no scratches of concern inside. I fill them with a sodium percarbonate solution and let them sit 24 hours, then they get a good rinse. Just before filling, I use 3l of Stellar San solution to sanitise them. This works rather well for me. I've had one infection in the last 3 years and have no clue where it snuck through. This may not be the perfect way of doing things of course but it appears to work. 

That’s pretty much what I do too AK. Worked well so far. 
I do use bleach for my glass bottles from time to time to get rid of biofilm, as the sodium percarbonate doesn’t get rid of it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah I tried bleach years ago & it takes forever to get rid of the smell, I only use it now to clean the bird bath.

Besides you don't see it on the shelf at LHBS.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

1. Hot water rinse once empty (NOTE: Remove tap before hot water rinse - tap care is important! Clean it in warm water separately)

2. Percarbonate Solution (Aldi brand Di-San Pro Oxy Ultra White SENSITIVE - the sodium percarbonate is 25%) when I am ready to clean it. I use a cloth and let it soak overnight.

2.a. I soak all my used PET bottles in this overnight soak while I am at it, and clean them along with the FV)

3. Stellar San solution before I use it 

Subclause: I only bleach if I suspect i have an infection or just don't like the smell. And then I put on my Wally-With-Water Hat on and rinse the Bejiggery out of it.... Back to Step 1....

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2022 at 12:46 PM, Cee said:

1. Hot water rinse once empty (NOTE: Remove tap before hot water rinse - tap care is important! Clean it in warm water separately)

2. Percarbonate Solution (Aldi brand Di-San Pro Oxy Ultra White SENSITIVE - the sodium percarbonate is 25%) when I am ready to clean it. I use a cloth and let it soak overnight.

2.a. I soak all my used PET bottles in this overnight soak while I am at it, and clean them along with the FV)

3. Stellar San solution before I use it 

Subclause: I only bleach if I suspect i have an infection or just don't like the smell. And then I put on my Wally-With-Water Hat on and rinse the Bejiggery out of it.... Back to Step 1....

The pink one has a bit more Sodium Percarbonate

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, JimInCollie said:

I note that all the materials contained in this Master Of The Brewniverse are dated 2019 or 2020 - ie. the competition has been and gone.

Is the competition going to be repeated one day?

Kind regards,

Jim (JimInCollie)

Good question, I am not sure if it was a one off or not.

Maybe @Coopers DIY Beer Team could enlighten us.