Coopers Community

On 5/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Also, I'd suspect at least some of the folks who would enter it would have been tinkering with a recipe for some time, likely posting the variations already with other cats brewing them, like Dr Smurto's golden ale and my red ale (which isn't anywhere near as well known but a few here and on other forums have brewed it), so they're already out there and known about.

Given everyone knows the 3 & only beer you brew, it's gonna be tough for you champ! 🤣

You might have to break ranks here & brew something new? 😜

On 5/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, Mark D Pirate said:

If I were to enter I'd be ensuring it's a beer that will 

A:  sell in volume 

B: Use ingredients that are locally available in volume ( no experimental hop varieties ect)  

C.  Not compete against an existing Coopers product. 

+1

For something that is probably going to need to be popular with a wider drinking audience (particularly megaswill drinkers), it really does limit what type of beer would probably win despite the categories put up. I suppose it depends on whether Coopers are primarily looking at this as a marketing strategy, or a sales strategy. The knowledge gained from the entries will certainly be useful for the brewery moving forward I would think.

I'm gonna brew something that doesn't compete with an existing Coopers product & be true to myself with what I like to drink.

Good luck to all entrants. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 10:36 PM, Cerveja said:

The replies above from some very experienced brewers confirm my point exactly. This is not about the best beer or even recognising home brewers. It is a marketing exercise that is all about $$$. Trying to settle on the style most likely to 'win' says it all. Good luck to those wanting to be a part of it. For me, I'll settle for good beer and good times in my own bar with a nod to great products supplied by Coopers.

That's a strange point of view! Coopers are giving us a chance to have a bit of fun, show what can be done with their products with some skill and creativity. $20 is a reasonable entry fee. I can only imagine the amount of work that will go into judging 3000 entries if they get a full quota. And 100 cases of beer plus 3 return flights to Adelaide is a pretty generous prize. 

I would say the Best of Show round in any beer comp is going to have a little bit of unintended seasonal bias.

Anyway, still a couple of months to plan and brew something that will fit the time of year. Spring is a time when lots of different beer styles can be enjoyed. No clue what I'll enter, other than that it will be fermented with a lager strain. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

Well, even if I did enter one of my regular brews I could technically still talk about the original anyway. My beers aren't brewed with any extract so an entry brew wouldn't really be the same recipe 😜

I don't know whether I'll enter anything or not. It'd need to be something that would age well, 100 cartons is gonna take some time getting through so anything hoppy would be a bit ordinary by the time you got the last few cartons 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...It'd need to be something that would age well, 100 cartons is gonna take some time getting through so anything hoppy would be a bit ordinary by the time you got the last few cartons 😂

...maybe the way you make it. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

I have a question... @Coopers, @Master of the Brewniverse. (Tag not working)

I started to go through the entry process & reached a point where I was asked for very specific details about a beer I have yet to brew.

Given that there is 2 months to produce a beer for entry & there are only 3000 entry slots, I am mainly concerned with securing a slot.

I'd hate to go through the process of making a beer for the contest & upon having all the relevant information to enter, I am denied that chance because I didn't have the relevant stats on the beer before 3000 applicants submitted, despite having an entry ready within the allotted time-frame.

I would appreciate some clarification on this from Coopers please.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:06 PM, Mark D Pirate said:

If I were to enter I'd be ensuring it's a beer that will 

A:  sell in volume 

B: Use ingredients that are locally available in volume ( no experimental hop varieties ect)  

C.  Not compete against an existing Coopers product. 

A well brewed ESB would tick all those boxes and lend itself to an extract based brew .

D. Fermented with CCA yeast, as that is what they are set up for. I have never tasted CCA yeast but from what I have read, it would be well suited to the ESB style.

While an ESB would check boxes A, C, and D, it would not check B. An English Bitter needs Maris Otter, and Coopers doesn't use imported malt. So things like Munich should likewise be avoided in the recipe.

As I am typing this I wonder if rye is grown locally? 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

So things like Munich should likewise be avoided in the recipe.

Joe White make a Munich malt, so no worries there.

I've done a few different styles with the CCA yeast and found it fairly versatile. Not going to work in Canberra over the next 2 months though... Lager strains only from here on unless you're heating the fermenter.

Cheers, 

John 

10 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

D. Fermented with CCA yeast, as that is what they are set up for. I have never tasted CCA yeast but from what I have read, it would be well suited to the ESB style.

While an ESB would check boxes A, C, and D, it would not check B. An English Bitter needs Maris Otter, and Coopers doesn't use imported malt. So things like Munich should likewise be avoided in the recipe.

As I am typing this I wonder if rye is grown locally? 

Cheers,

Christina.

Coopers do produce a “Schooner malt”, which, by all accounts, is quite similar to Maris Otter.

Ive been considering using it in a trial as a replacement for Maris Otter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I have a question... @Coopers, @Master of the Brewniverse. (Tag not working)

I started to go through the entry process & reached a point where I was asked for very specific details about a beer I have yet to brew.

Given that there is 2 months to produce a beer for entry & there are only 3000 entry slots, I am mainly concerned with securing a slot.

I'd hate to go through the process of making a beer for the contest & upon having all the relevant information to enter, I am denied that chance because I didn't have the relevant stats on the beer before 3000 applicants submitted, despite having an entry ready within the allotted time-frame.

I would appreciate some clarification on this from Coopers please.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey @Beerlust

You can always find us by tagging @Coopers DIY Beer Team 😊

As the Master of the Brewniverse competition has only just launched, we envisage most brewers to be thinking of a beer they’d like to enter. Entrants will then need to purchase their relevant Coopers DIY Beer extract from either online or at a retailer such as Dan Murphy’s. Of course then the real magic happens – brewing your entry! Yes as per entry requirements we will need entrants to list all ingredients, the complete brewing process and the finished ABV.

Plenty of time to get brewing and enter online once your sample is ready! Best of luck!

Cheers,

Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Like 1

I ordered my ingredients for my MOTB comp entry brew a short while ago. I've gone for a totally bizarre mix of hops & malts that I've NEVER brewed in conjunction with before in a category I haven't made a heap of beers in. On paper it looks like an extremely interesting beer. At the glass the mix may not blend as well as I am hoping for.

At the end of the day, I'd rather put something out there that has never been seen or tasted before in an effort to create something new than follow what has been produced commercially in some way already.

I'm most concerned with my hop mix choice(s) as it's fairly complex & if I haven't judged the flow & entry points right, it could come across all wrong in the final beer. I'm sorta scared, nervous, & excited all at the same time TBQH.

It's in a category that Coopers don't currently have a commercial representative in so fingers crossed the beer turns out well as I'd like to retire early if I can. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, Beerlust said:

Agreed. Iron Jack, Great Northern, same shit, different label.

This relatively new stuff takes the cake though... Hahn Ultra Crisp Gluten Free.

I love the description given. The guy must have been semi-conscious when he wrote that. 🙄

I just don't get where they're going with all this. If I wanted to drink water, I'd bloody buy water!!

Cheers,

Lusty.

That's what I used to tell my wife when she used to drink caffeine-free diet Pepsi cola. There's no caffeine = no cola, no sugar = no flavour. Just drink water.

40 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Whatever it is we can be certain it doesn't contain Magnum.

Correctamundo! 👍👍

Truth be known, for a split second the thought actually crossed my mind of using some for this brew,.....but then I came to my senses & slapped myself! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Whatever it is we can be certain it doesn't contain Magnum.

That is right. It will have to be bittered with Pride of Ringwood if Coopers is going to make it. 

E: bittered with Pride of Ringwood.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

That is right. It will have to be bittered with Pride of Ringwood if Coopers is going to make it. 

E: bittered with Pride of Ringwood.

Cheers,

Christina.

Maybe not any more Christina, Pride of Ringwood is no longer being grown commercially.

Cheers,

John

Hi John.

35 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Maybe not any more Christina, Pride of Ringwood is no longer being grown commercially.

It actually is still grown commercially. Ellerslie Hop Farm varieties. I believe Coopers have a good relationship with them as the Melba hop is also sourced from them that I think is used in the Session Ale.

I'm not certain, but I think Crown Lager still uses Pride Of Ringwood too.

Cheers,

Lusty.