Coopers Community

This has been carbonating in a keg for a week. It is nice but still letting the bottles carb up over the weekend and then I will try one of them and see if I should send it in or not. It is a good beer from the keg. I left it cloudy on purpose.

Cheers

Norris

20190719_181842.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Probably more like first one to get tossed in the bin but it is a good easy drink. Thanks Hairy.

It might be just what Coopers are looking for. 🤔

OR, it could end up in the bin along side mine! LOL

Best of luck Norris.

Lusty.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

It might be just what Coopers are looking for.

We aren't looking for anything in particular.  I'm hoping that many of you, including the MOTB winner (of course) really surprises the judges! 😊

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PB2 said:

We aren't looking for anything in particular.  I'm hoping that many of you, including the MOTB winner (of course) really surprises the judges! 😊

It's anyone's guess what the overall standard will be, but this type of opportunity doesn't come around too often & it's a pretty big carrot Coopers are dangling, so I would expect those entries at the higher end quality-wise, to be top notch.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty. My only goal is to have the judge say, "this is a good beer." I will obviously never hear that with the current set up for this competition, but I will dream!

Just had a buddy try one, out the keg though, he liked it and asked for a bottle to take home, so I am sure it doesn't taste like swamp water, but I have had the secondary fermentation taste different enough from kegs that is is noticeable or I am just making excuses. Either way I think I will pay the $20 and enter.

• Like 3

Thought I had better check a tester of my entry, and really impressed. Needs at least another week to carbonate fully with the cooler temps and a little green still, but I reckon by the time the judges get to drink it, it should be at its peak.

Very easy drinking, great flavour from the chosen hops and a nicely rounded bitterness. Would of liked more head, but I’m putting that down to being not quite ready yet.

Not matter how it goes, I’ll do this again. It could be a stayer!

• Like 4

So this is mine. Bottled on 19/6, first taste was about 10 days after. I was pretty happy with the result. It's been getting better. :) I think I nailed the style, it certainly tastes like others of the style I've had. It's a little stronger than I usually make, so gotta be careful of how many I have.

Dropped off the entry last week.

Sorry yours didn't work out Ruddy. Big fan of the videos.

20190721_215756.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Massive newbie question, never entered a brewing comp! How do you affix the label to the bottle? A quick google suggests zip lock bag and rubberbands. Is that the go? 

Another newbie here. You can buy label paper from newsagent, stick it in your printer and print your entry. Peel it off and stick it on your bottle. Best to do test print first on plain paper. I’ve entered two beers into the competition this way.

• Thanks 1

(iii) Affix label and deliver Samples: The Entrant must ensure the entry label is affixed to each bottle included in the Sample. An electronic version of the entry label will be supplied when the entrant registers on the
Competition Website. 

I am sure this is user error, but I cannot see the entry label?  @Coopers DIY Beer Team?

Hey @Norris!,

Send us an email at hello@coopersmotb.com.au and we can email your entry label, ready for you to print (plain paper is fine). We've had a few entrants inform us that their labels weren't immediately delivered but seem to have been delayed through junk/spam filtering. 

As our FAQs suggest re affixing the label:  It is your responsibility to ensure that your label is secured adequately to withstand transportation and a cool room environment. A good way to secure it is to use Cello Tape (or any clear sticky tape). Fix the label to the bottle and do a few laps of Cello Tape, ensuring you cover the entire label with tape and making sure the tape is tight and adhering to itself.

Not long to go now until entries close (31st July)!

Cheers,

Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Thanks 2

Good thing cellotape is ok, that's what I used. Might do a few more wraps though just in case. 

I'm relying on my wife to drop my entry off at my LHBS for me. She doesn't seem to be in much of a rush to, so I think I'm going to have to cycle there at lunch time to drop it off before the deadline. I guess that means I'm riding to work tomorrow. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 3

I hope mine carbs up properly when they try it. It is meant to be kind of spritzy. I have been having carbonation issues when I try to keg and bottle some. I find that 2 drops don't carb it up enough for my tastes so I have been bulk priming...So far the last bottle I tried was almost there...temperature and time will get me there I think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I hope mine carbs up properly when they try it. It is meant to be kind of spritzy. I have been having carbonation issues when I try to keg and bottle some. I find that 2 drops don't carb it up enough for my tastes so I have been bulk priming...So far the last bottle I tried was almost there...temperature and time will get me there I think.

I know what you mean about the carb drops.  I'm wondering if my mix of fermentables is to blame, or the yeast... because when I have contacted Coopers about it they swear black and blue that Coopers Green is carbed to the same levels as if they used a carb drop and that there is no reason that my brews shouldn't turn out the same.  However I've found that all mine are low carbed to style (for my tastes) except the Saisons, lagers.  I'm experimenting with the Coopers commercial yeast at the moment, because I find the US-05 might be the culprit re the low carb levels.  All the beers I make with US05 seem to be low carbed and lack head retention.

Edited by Beervis
  • Like 1

Never had any bottle carbonation or head retention issues with the numerous batches I bottled that were fermented with US-05, except one batch when the bottles got too cold. 

It is the middle of winter after all. The most likely cause is temperature. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

Hi Beervis.

23 hours ago, Beervis said:

...However I've found that all mine are low carbed to style (for my tastes) except the Saisons, lagers.  I'm experimenting with the Coopers commercial yeast at the moment, because I find the US-05 might be the culprit re the low carb levels.  All the beers I make with US05 seem to be low carbed and lack head retention.

US-05 on it's own is not meant to be a high head development/high head retention strain of yeast to use if you want these qualities in your final beer. That said, you can create those elements by using a smarter malt grist that leaves more (unfermentable) body behind in the beer whilst still using this strain of yeast to ferment the beer.

Carbonation levels are a result of available secondary sugars for yeast to chomp on once bottled & capped. Head development & retention is a result largely influenced by the malt grist you use. Certain yeast strains can influence that though.

What are the malt grists you are using with your US-05 brews, & what is the level of secondary sugars you are adding at bottling time?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, porschemad911 said:

Good thing cellotape is ok, that's what I used. Might do a few more wraps though just in case. 

I'm relying on my wife to drop my entry off at my LHBS for me. She doesn't seem to be in much of a rush to, so I think I'm going to have to cycle there at lunch time to drop it off before the deadline. I guess that means I'm riding to work tomorrow. 

Cheers, 

John 

Woohoo! My wife came through and dropped it off for me ... and brought me home a giant funnel to help with filling my jerry cans once the wort has cooled. If I ever use them that is.

Cheers,

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2