Coopers Community

I brewed my entry up last night. I used half of (866g anyway, not a bad estimate in one pour lol) a 1.7kg kit in my 11l batch. I would have preferred to use an unhopped LME kit, but they're harder to get hold of vs walking to Big W at lunch. My LHBS was out of stock for next couple of weeks and I didn't want to go the online order route. 

Unfortunately that means I can't get any flavour influence from my bittering hop of choice, but oh well. More of a malt-driven style anyway. I did put 2 (yes first one, then the other) hop pellets into the boil to help with the hot break a little.

I guess there's no point doing the entry forms until it is packaged, just in case my yeast doesn't behave or my little boy tips the fermenter over with a cry of 'Daddy makes beer!' If the comp is full at that point then I guess I'll have a nice beer to drink.

Don't know what I'm going to do with the other 834g hopped LME in the fridge. I guess this means my next batch is going to be a partial mash too.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I brewed my entry up last night. 

Yeast pitched! It is looking promising so far... on the money for volume, gravity and flavour. My smack pack swelled up nicely, so yeast seems good to go.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

Started my brew today and is the fermenter now but forgot I broke my hydrometer so here is hoping my calculations are right and the mash went well.

I brewed a....ah, almost had me there Coopers!

Good luck everyone!

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Haha 2

On 5/9/2019 at 3:40 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

So what’s the prize other than Coopers and Dans profiting from your blood , sweat and tears ?

A palletload of your beer in its commercial form, and a couple of trips to Adelaide.

@Coopers DIY Beer Team, @Coopers.

Hi guys.

Given there are only 3000 slots, I was wondering if there could possibly be a weekly update/post (of sorts) stating available entry slots still available based on those already entered/received?

The contest has created a lot of interest, & it would be a shame if you were a home brewer planning on entering & going to the trouble of producing a beer for the contest, if only to be told, at some point earlier than you expected, "Sorry, too late".

Of course I'm speaking very selfishly here, but imagine there are others likely thinking the same thing.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Given there are only 3000 slots, I was wondering if there could possibly be a weekly update/post (of sorts) stating available entry slots still available based on those already entered/received?

That sounds like a good idea.  Especially if you are considering more than one entry.  Perhaps brewing a couple of different styles.  It would be a shame to get an entry done and then find out the comp is full and closed off.  

My entry is safely bottled, but somehow I'm not too worried if the comp is full by the time I get around to doing the entry form. It wasn't a beer I'd normally brew with a kit base, so that bit of experimentation was fun regardless. 

Although heaps of free beer and 3 free flights to Adelaide where my family is sounds pretty enticing! 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

Hey @Beerlust and @Shamus O'Sean,

It is absolutely prime brewing time at the moment for entry into the Master of the Brewniverse competition.

It's first in best dressed as you would expect, however most brewers are currently still crafting their entries so there are plenty of spots still available.

As a reminder for those who haven't yet started brewing, there is still time! Entries close on the 31st July 2019. 

Cheers,

Coopers DIY Beer Team

• Like 5