Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @Coopers DIY Beer Team and other brewers

I am doing the Coopers Vintage Ale '19 tomorrow (Saturday). There is a difference in the hop steep instructions between what is on the website and what is printed on the recipe that came in the ROTM pack.  The recipe has 1x25g Mosaic and 2x25g Cascade hops.  The website version says to add "half the Mosaic and half of one of the Cascade hops" to the hop steep.  But the printed version in the pack says " half of the Mosaic and half of the Cascade hops" to the hop steep.

Can I get some clarification:  Is it 12.5g of Cascade or 25g of Cascade in the hop steep?  It may not make a world of difference.  Either way I still think it will produce a good beer, especially because I will be temperature controlling this baby at 18°C.

Thanks Shamus

After making the vintage 19 i say go 25g of each with the dry hop. At 12.5 each its lacking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks great mate. Nice krausen. Take it easy when you start drinking it 🙂

Cheers Greeny!  If it turns out all ok and has the big ABV as forecast I shall commit to sitting down whilst consuming other than when dispensing by-products and avoid vehicles at all costs! ; )

Hi Shamus.

If you look back on the log of previous Vintage Ales up to & including the current 2019 version, it is always 25gms used on the steep, 50gms used for the dry hop. The configurations change, but that weight amount for each area doesn't differ.

This beer is an awesome home brew recipe regardless of brewing level (IMHO).

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

OG 1.066 and smelled beauutiful.

Wait til you taste it over various ageing periods. A very impressive beer for different reasons as it changes over time. 😎

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 3

Thanks @Beerlust

Maybe if I had reviewed the previous Vintage recipes I would have got the clue to the hopping ratios.  I am sure it will not effect my brew too much to have them slightly out.

I have a couple of the commercial 2019 Vintage in the fridge for tonight and am looking forward to trying it.

Also still have a couple of my 2018 Vintage tallies on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard.  They were set aside for opening when the 2019 Vintage came out.  Figured that would be close to a year.  As it has aged it has got closer to its commercial equivalent.  Got a couple of the commercial stubbies to compare with as well.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

...I am sure it will not effect my brew too much to have them slightly out.

You've gone over rather than under on the steep so I agree with you. If you're gonna miss a target with hopping, better to go over rather than under when steeping I reckon. 😉

I like the hop mix this year, & am thinking of making a batch up, but using the Real Ale/Pale can mix as the base which has been used for the DIY recipe up until the last 2 years.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

Done to the letter of the instructions, well I think so. Chrystal malt was steeped for 24 hours in the fridge. Pitched @ 18° and it is in the fermentation fridge @ 18°.

OG was 1.060.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, kmar92 said:

Done to the letter of the instructions, well I think so. Chrystal malt was steeped for 24 hours in the fridge. Pitched @ 18° and it is in the fermentation fridge @ 18°.

OG was 1.060.

Good luck with that KMAR and welcome aboard!

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:21 AM, Beerlust said:

...Currently very noticeable aromas from the yeast, so no doubting it's a Coopers yeast fermented beer. SG sample tasted of light tropical flavours, crisp, dry finish with a light spicy note from the Warrior bittering addition.

I will expect the hopping notes to become more prominent after cold crash as right now the yeast is still in suspension controlling a lot of the flavour & aroma profile. I'm interested to see how the aromatics of the Galaxy & Riwaka stand up to it.

I just plucked the dry hop chux baggy out of this brew & squeezed all the liquid goodness back into it. Highly aromatic now from the Riwaka/Galaxy mix, so much so it now masks the yeast characters to the point you wouldn't figure it for a Coopers commercial yeast fermented beer. The beer is now in cold condition mode & will be kegged this coming Sunday. The yeast character, hop flavours, & aromatics will come back more into some sort of balance by the time it is kegged. Very promising beer, so I am looking forward to getting into it.

For those that haven't used Riwaka in a beer yet, you're missing out. Late in the boil & dry hopped it is awesome in warm weather beers. It sells out very quickly on the homebrew circuit each year so if you get a chance to buy some, I strongly urge you grab some when it is available.

Timing is everything. My Chubby Cherub keg blew earlier tonight. What a shame, I'll just have to refill it with this stuff. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Beerlust said:

For those that haven't used Riwaka in a beer yet, you're missing out. Late in the boil & dry hopped it is awesome in warm weather beers. It sells out very quickly on the homebrew circuit each year so if you get a chance to buy some, I strongly urge you grab some when it is available.

Hey Lusty, sounds good. So what is the general flavour profile of Brother Riwaka?

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey Lusty, sounds good. So what is the general flavour profile of Brother Riwaka?

Grapefruit. Massive grapefruit.

It's similar to Chinook, but without the added spicy notes. If you like Chinook, you'll love the bang for your buck with this stuff especially late boil & dry hopping.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Grapefruit. Massive grapefruit.

It's similar to Chinook, but without the added spicy notes. If you like Chinook, you'll love the bang for your buck with this stuff especially late boil & dry hopping.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Tx mate sounds great.  No experience either with Chin Hook sadly - but am deffo keen to have a crack with the Ree Warka after your clear description!

Tx Lusty. 

BB

• Like 2

Well the Big Fat IPA is down from c. 1080 to around 1016 on Day 9... have taken it up to 20degC for a bit of a DiAcetyl Rest Fest... 

Any punters willing to forecast what sort of final SG I am going to achieve with US05?  This sort of AG brew in the past (without 2kg of LDME Booster) usually settled at around 1010...

Any suggestions Brewers?

image.png.8eaae06dde0bddb35fbcac0ab20a497a.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Probably won't really drop much more. Maybe 1.015. Higher OG generally means a higher level of unfermentable sugars than you'd get if it was say 1.050 OG. 

But if I am adding just plain old LDME to boost that OG... is it not mainly full of fermentable sugars? 

Mmmm…. I guess that the percentage of Fermentable-non-Fermentable is the same... but I am just adding adding adding… so the FG should go up as well?

45 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's always a percentage of unfermentable sugars in all malt based wort. The amount depends on a few factors, type of malt, mash temp etc.

With dry malt, it isn't 100% fermentable so the more you add, the more unfermentable sugars you add as well.

Yep... that was my "adding adding adding"... guess the bottom line goes up as well ; )

Thanks Kelsey.  Am thinking of leaving the brew settle for a few more days and the cold crashing after that for a week or so.

If I was going to add some Isinglass - when would I add it - and do I need to spray it on the surface of the wort or ?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 10/12/2019 at 7:02 PM, Beerlust said:

...but using the Real Ale/Pale can mix as the base which has been used for the DIY recipe up until the last 2 years.

With the rest of the recipe as is? I’m planning on making it on the weekend. I might try that next time. 

My cold-extracted Pale Ale has almost dropped bright in the fermenter. Interestingly the FG was fairly normal at 1.010. BRY-97 got up and running very quickly and my FG sample tasted great. 1.028 to 1.010 will give around 2.8% abv once bottle conditioned.

I'm still undecided on whether to dry hop tonight. Was going to use some Dr. Rudi and Mosaic, but am on the fence about just gong with the flameout addition. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1