Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So as no further feedback from any Master Brewers re my question above whether 3 days Dry Hopping is enough

Yep It is if you wish to avoid any vegetal &/or astringent tones in your beer derived from the dry hops. Some varieties are more prone to this than others though.

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...and smelled great when out of the hop tube... just beautiful - a few drips tasted like there was something there.... was wondering whether I pulled them too early at day 3?  Anyone?

That's why I squeeze. To extract as much highly aromatic hop oil that is still being held in the physical hop matter out of it into solution.

If interested, some really, really good info about hops...

Hop absorption rates...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2013/05/10/hops-squeezing-and-hops-absorption-more-bitterness-please/

Dry hop temperatures...

https://spikebrewing.com/blogs/ask-a-pro/dry-hop-temperatures

Hop chemistry & how long to dry hop etc.

I hope you find the information helpful. I know I did.

Cheers & best of luck with your brews,

Lusty.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hop chemistry & how long to dry hop etc.

I hope you find the information helpful. I know I did.

Cheers & best of luck with your brews,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty!

Thanks for all of the extensive information!

Will chase it up.

Thanks mate.

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Made a duvel clone yesterday which I put into the fermenter this morning. 4.4kg of pilsener malt mashed at 64c and 800gm dex for an OG of 1066. Pitched a 2.5L starter of WY1388 at 16c and raising a degree a day for 7 days. Should finish around 1004 for an abv of 8.7 once bottled. 

Duvel clone has finished at 1004 for a 93% attenuation. Right on target. Taste is great. Cant taste any alcohol despite being 8.1% at this stage. Two more days for cleanup then into the fridge for a week cold crash. Westmalle tripel is next on the list.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Duvel clone has finished at 1004 for a 93% attenuation. Right on target. Taste is great. Cant taste any alcohol despite being 8.1% at this stage. Two more days for cleanup then into the fridge for a week cold crash. Westmalle tripel is next on the list.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Greeny.  Sounds great. You are the Belgian Master!

Putting down a westmalle tripel this evening. While i love the chimay tripel the westmalle is quite different and very tasty as well and is supposedly the gold standard in the tripel category. What has surprised me is by the book "brew like a monk" there is no aromatic malt in it. Just a simple pilsner malt and sugar recipe. Surprised me as when i tasted it a few months ago i could have swore it had a touch of aromatic in it. Anyway going to follow the book on this one.

1568860580563449811053.jpg

• Like 2

Long time since I've been on this forum (life just got busy!) but I have been brewing!

It's one of those rare times that I have two fermenters in my fridge at the same time.  They were pitched days apart, so are both roughly on the same schedule.  Both cold-crashing now.

On the top I have a kettle soured Gose, to which I added 3kg blueberry.  The colour is sensational and the flavour... well somewhat lacking.  I was warned that blueberry doesn't infuse into the beer like other fruits (raspberry, passionfruit, watermelon, etc).  It's there, but mostly tastes like a kettle-soured Gose with a hint of blueberry.

On the bottom is a recipe I copied and pasted YONKS ago.  It was @headmaster, an APA he brewed that his tasters said was very much like Lord Nelson's 3 Sheets.  A malt bill that I like the sound of, mostly pale ale with a bit of munich, oats, wheat and rye.  I used Simcoe and Citra during the late boil and whirlpool, and Cascade and Galaxy dry.  Really just using up leftover bits of malt and hops.  Promising samples, can't wait to bottle it and taste it cold and carbonated.

• Like 7

Redback Pale Ale

I've got an extra drinker in the house at the moment and I'm desperately trying to build up stocks.  He's not a heavy drinker but that extra 4 or 5 bottles a week sure adds up!

So, a quick kit and bits brew.  This is an extract version of my Redback Pale Ale which actually sits somewhere between an APA and American Wheat.  In this version though there's quite a bit more wheat malt courtesy of the Wheat LME which is around 51% wheat,  so the total wheat in the final brew will around 23%.   In the original partial mash recipe I only use 10% wheat malt.

• 1.7g Coopers OS Lager
  • 1.7kg Wheat LME 
  • 300g GF Redback Malt
  • 100g Sugar
  • 25g Wakatu @ 15min
  • 25g Motueka @5min
  • 25g Wakatu (dry Hop)
  • 25g Motueka (dry Hop)
  • Coopers A/L Yeast

ABV=5%  EBC=11.5  IBU=30  

• Like 4

On 9/18/2019 at 11:38 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Putting down a westmalle tripel this evening. While i love the chimay tripel the westmalle is quite different and very tasty as well and is supposedly the gold standard in the tripel category. What has surprised me is by the book "brew like a monk" there is no aromatic malt in it. Just a simple pilsner malt and sugar recipe. Surprised me as when i tasted it a few months ago i could have swore it had a touch of aromatic in it. Anyway going to follow the book on this one.

Might it have something to do with the source of the Pilsner malt? I have read that Castle Pilsner is strongly flavoured. If you are using another pilsner, you could always add a tiny smidge of Aromatic.

Cheers,

Christina

Back to warmer climate beers for me. Nothing fancy

Coopers Pale - 1kg LDM, 250g WM, bittered a small quantity of Galaxy/Amarillo and will dry hop the rest.

Last time I did Coopers pale it was pretty average, so hoping the hopping and the addition of wheat malt will fill it out a bit

Edited by Lab Rat

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Might it have something to do with the source of the Pilsner malt? I have read that Castle Pilsner is strongly flavoured. If you are using another pilsner, you could always add a tiny smidge of Aromatic.

Cheers,

Christina

Yeah i think you might be onto something there Christina. I had a bag of castle pilsener once and it was like floor malted weyermann. Unfortunately my LHBS doesnt stock it anymore. 

23 hours ago, elLachlano said:

Gonna scrub one up for an Anarchy IPA bastard tomorrow. Got the Crystal in the fridge steeping.

Well I did this Anarchy in about 1 hour flat. Didn't bother with cooling the wort boil and went in with about 3L of near freezing water to counter. Came in at 24C at pitch and I tried my luck with some harvested CCA that I've been waiting to beef up with a brew.  The things you can do after a bit of experience with these mixes.

OG came in a little high so I hope the CCA I managed to get in there can cope with the 1052 I threw it at - I think the recipe could deal with 250g less of the LDME.

If the yeast doesn't take, I've got a few backup packets of dry yeast in the fridge.

Wondering, if I'm going for an English ale kind of profile what do you think would be better to throw in if I face a stall?

Can yeasts:

• APA
  • Real ale
  • Ruby Porter

At first I was thinking just the APA - but the Ruby could be interesting.

I do have some Morgans Premium Ale yeast which I used instead of some Nottingham in the above mentioned porter. I'll be washing this overnight, so it may do the trick.

Put down a slightly traditional swedish spiced wine to be drunk warm at christmas: 

fresh ginger, 1 kg raisins, 1 kg dried plums, 20 g Pomerans peel, 2 cinnamon sticks, 10 g cloves, 10 g cardamum seeds, some muscotflower in boiling water. 
1 kg Muntons dark DME
1 kg lingon-berries 
1,4 kg honey
1 l left over orange juice
21 liter
Lalvin RC212

Gonna put in more honey and taste my way to final sweetness. Experimental recipe as usual. 

• Like 6

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

But where do you get the secret yeast from Greeny?

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, drewbert said:

Put down a Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale kit on the weekend in honour of the lost Canadian Blonde...

1 can MJ's Belgian Ale

1kg Dextrose

1 extra yeast packet from a spare tin (MJ's yeast must have ben DOA...)

Hey DB - not tellin ya how to brew or nuttin - but if you go some extra liquid malt - rather than - or as well as the Dex - you will taste and see the difference!

Doing KnK w extra Liquid Malt will jump things ahead... but then again it really depends upon what outcome it is you are chasing toooooo ; )

Just a thought...

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey DB - not tellin ya how to brew or nuttin - but if you go some extra liquid malt - rather than - or as well as the Dex - you will taste and see the difference!

Doing KnK w extra Liquid Malt will jump things ahead... but then again it really depends upon what outcome it is you are chasing toooooo ; )

Just a thought...

I'll keep that in mind for the next one. It's one of my fave styles. So might just need to skip a few of the other brews and go back to back Belgians. 

It would push it towards a double? Or what ever they call it...

Just now, drewbert said:

I'll keep that in mind for the next one. It's one of my fave styles. So might just need to skip a few of the other brews and go back to back Belgians. 

It would push it towards a double? Or what ever they call it...

Greeny above is the King of the Belgians... my comment is more in principle for any KnK - my experience is that:

Sugar will help a Kit

But Dex is better than Sugar

But Dry Malt is better than Dex

But Liquid Malt is better than Dry Malt

And Partial All grain with a Kit is better than Liquid Malt...

And All Grain Trumps everything ; )

However, as all the MBs say (Master Brewers), a good KnK is better than a carp* All Grainer : )

And you can brew good beer with Kits... 

So if you want to do that style - sub the liquid malt for the dex to get the same ABV...  but better body and mouthfeel and head retention... 

You just got to work out what the equivalent fermentables are... But I reckon just off the top of me head and general brewing knowledge - that if you were going to put in a kg of Dex that 1.5kg tin of Liquid Malt would not hurt

I just put 1.7 kit and 1.5 liquid into 'Ian's Spreadsheet' and that came out at 4.3% ABV so that is not real strong... 

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I do these in an 11L batch and a 30L fermenter otherwise you need a blow off tube. Its even worse if using some dark malt. Crazy yeast

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa!

That is pretty festive Greeny.  Good stuff.

This probably does not fit in the 'What's in your Fermenter' Thread... but I guess that seeing that these brews are in the bottle at Secondary Ferment stage... maybe it is ok...

it should be more like - what is in your Lager? 😝

Anyway - got some Lager/Pils style brews that are going in for a couple of months of lagering… seems to have been a suggestion seen on a few posts... so will give it go.

Hopefully the leccy bill doesn't go through the roof !?!   It is a freezer so hopefully that might make it slightly more efficient ; )  Will be nice to see what the effect is... and if anything...

the beer at 2 deg C should be cold in two months time I would hope 😋

Lagering.jpg

• Like 5