Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Just put this down today. Recipe inspired by the Captain's Faded Jeans Pale Ale. 

El Capitano APA

1.7kg Coopers Lager
1.3kg LME
700gm Canadian base malt
300gm Light Munich
200gm malted wheat
75gm Honey malt
15gm Cascade x 10 minutes
15gm Cascade x 4 minutes
10gm Mosaic x 20 minute hop stand
20gm Centennial x 20 minute hop stand
20gm Cascade DH x 48 hours
10mL Clarity Ferm
Liberty Bell slurry

OG 1.050; FG 1.011; ABV 5.1% keg, 5.5% bottle; IBU 33; EBC 10.5; BU:GU 0.66

Cheers,

Christina. 
Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 7

Just dry hopped the red ale, and the bloody krausen was trying to escape the fermenter. The sample I left on the bar had finished fermenting and looked to be sitting around 1.010-12 somewhere. I'll take a proper sample tomorrow which will be 6 days since pitching, and again Friday. If they're the same I'll begin the cold crash on Saturday, as that'll be enough time for it to clean up if it's already finished. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just dry hopped the red ale, and the bloody krausen was trying to escape the fermenter. The sample I left on the bar had finished fermenting and looked to be sitting around 1.010-12 somewhere. I'll take a proper sample tomorrow which will be 6 days since pitching, and again Friday. If they're the same I'll begin the cold crash on Saturday, as that'll be enough time for it to clean up if it's already finished. 

I’m looking forward to a picture 

Pitched the US05 starter yesterday morning and by this morning all good things were going on in Coops Plazzi… got worried nothing in SS when went into the Larder... but lo and behold once the bubbler was reseated and a seal was achieved off it went like a frog in a sock!  The brews are now sitting together in the Larder at around 21... warmer than wished for 18... it's 16 in there so won't go any colder... hopefully running slightly warmer than the traditional 18 with US05 doing an Ale will be fine?

image.png.82b3b3e313fdd4c5c8cbe15c65f8b17b.png

• Like 3

Put down another brew, the second one this week. I make one stout a year.  This one is meant to last the winter and will be bottled so as not to tie up a keg. Originally I was going to make Dry Irish Stout in the 4% range but changed my mind. I wanted a higher ABV and thought the OS kit would be better suited. 

Winter Stout

1.7kg Cooper 
1.3kg Briess Golden Light LME
750gm Vienna 20%
400gm home toasted base malt 10.6%
75gm C75L 2%
10gm MJ New World Strong Ale yeast plus 7gm Coopers ale/lager blend dry pitched
21L

OG 1.054; FG 1.012; IBU 57.4; EBC 110; ABV 5.9% bottle; BU:GU 1.07.

Cheers,

Christina. 
  • Like 4

Dropped the controller down for a cold crash on the red ale earlier. Since the weather is getting warmer now I decided to take the probe off the FV and set the difference to 2 degrees, set temperature -0.5. Knowing this fridge it shouldn't have any trouble getting itself down there. It had already dropped from 22 to 6.5 in the couple of hours I was out. Might even be able to get it to -1. I'll add isinglass either tomorrow or Monday, and polyclar the day after, and keg it next Sunday. And then the AG centenarillo ale will go in. 

• Like 3

On 10/20/2019 at 8:46 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @PaddyBrew2, photo of bags attached, empty now though.  The bag on the right I put half of into the steep and resealed and labelled for dry hop day (labelled as approx 12.5g because I thought that is what half the bag would be).  When I weighed the remaining half of it today for the dry hop (because I thought it would be about 12.5g and intended to supplement it with some extra Mosaic of my own), it turned out to be 4.7g.

The bag on the left was the Cascade that was meant to be 25g of hops.  You can see the crinkling from the hops being vacuum sealed in the two bags looks about the same.  I weighed the Cascade as 10.6g, because I did not quite believe the weight of Mosaic (I thought maybe I stuffed up at the steep stage)

Just did a check on my scales against another set of scales and an item weighed 213g on the kitchen scales and 213.47 on my hop scales.

Make of it what you will.  I put it down to an honest mistake.  No big deal at the end of the day.  The brew will still be fine.  I can get some extra Cascade to up the dry hop if I want.

If you are genuine about the weights you used for the steep, then as PaddyBrew already suggested, flick Coopers customer service a message. They're really good like that.

customerservice@coopers.com.au

Cheers,

Lusty. 

• Like 2

Wakatu Gold

Yet another "lazy" brew.  Had some left over Wakatu hops and an OS lager can sitting on the shelf so I thought I do another quick 'n' easy hoppy Brit Golden Ale.  Should be good for the warmer months ahead.

• 1.7kg OS lager
  • 1.4kg Muntons Light LME
  • 200g GF Toffee Malt
  • 25g Wakatu @ 15 mins
  • 25g Wakatu @2min
  • Coopers A/L yeast slurry

| ABV=-4.5% | IBU=34 | EBC=8 |

Yeast was pitched at 21ºC -  which just happened to be the temp the wort ended up at after mixing.  Fridge is set to 18ºC.

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

Anyone else brewing the Styrian Pale Ale ? I didn't take the OG so not sure where it started. Now at 1.020 after 8 days, supposed to get to 6.5ABV. Only taken one reading so don't know if fermentation has stopped, though it looks like it has. Anyone know what the OG should have been?

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What's the ingredients and batch volume?

8.5ts

• 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer North West Pale Ale
  • 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Pale
  • 2 x 25g Styrian Dragon Hop Pellets
  • 1 x 11.5 Safale US-05 Dry Yeast