Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

On 11/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, BlackSands said:

Back To Roots NZPA

As mentioned in the brew day thread, there's several NZ hops that seem to have either fallen into disfavour, are underrated, or have simply largely been overlooked, probably displaced by more recent new world varieties.   So, I thought it might be fun to revisit  two hops I used as a kid, Green Bullet and Sticklebract and try another classic NZ hop, Dr Rudi for the first time.   I purchased from a LHBS that I've never used before - THEY vacuum seal their hops.  The aroma of the hop bags was noticeably more potent than the hops a usually buy from elsewhere.  Dr Rudi was particularly pleasing to my olfactory nerves!   🤪

CC'ing this one at the moment.  I was actually a little suspicious about the grains when I received them.  There's a few hundred grams of supernova in the mix - the only specialty malt in fact and though it has a similar appearance to a med. crystal I couldn't really see it in the grain mix.   I thought the resultant wort looked lighter than expected too.  Today...  I drew off a sample and it is looking very pale.  It should be a light amber colour but this is more a light yellow hue - more like my golden ales, so I am now wondering if the brew store had either forgotten the supernova or used something different by mistake?   🙄     

Anyway, it's looking pretty clear already after a few days CC so I'll give it a day or two more and then bottle it up...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I also may know something about that other thing. May or may not use the same too.

Mmm little cryptic there benny haha

I'd like to make some mead up, i just don't like the thought of being down 1 fv for 3+ months,  "Masters of malt" online whisky merchants sell mead v/ cheap  excellent english & irish mead.

I will dry hop the pale ale I have brewing tonight after the grain bag finishes in the sodium perc. 50g of galaxy, mosaic, and amarillo in:

4kg of BB pale ale malt

.8kg BB wheat malt

.8kg of flaked oats

At 21l 1.049ish OG. FG is 1.010. New England yeast from lallemand, or whatever their name is.

The sample tastes nice and smells pretty good, fingers crossed. I am super paranoid about my beers after my last batch tasted off. I need to try one from the keg and bottle again to see if it has changed, but I am not holding my breath on that batch. It has totally messed up my pipeline. 2 kegs are almost empty, really light, and the third has the off batch in it, so I have some brewing in front of me....not that I mind to much.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Put this down today:

Cents & Mosaic APA

1.7kg Coopers Lager
1.3kg LME
400gm 2-row base malt
275gm Munich
200gm malted wheat 
5gm Mosaic x 20 minutes
15gm Centennial x 10 minutes
10gm Centennial x 4 minutes
15gm Mosaic x 20 minute hop stand
15gm Centennial x 20 minute hop stand
15gm Mosaic DH x 48 hours
15gm Centennial DH x 48 hours.
23L
10mL Clarity Ferm
14gm ale/lager blend

OG 1.047; FG 1.011; ABV 4.7% keg, 5.1% bottle; IBU 33.5; EBC 8.6; BU:GU 0.75

Brew day went well. Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Christina. 
  • Like 10

Checked the SG on my centenarillo ale earlier, sitting at 1.012 so it's probably pretty much done, after all it's been in there for 8 days. I'll check it again Saturday and if it's the same I'll begin the cold crash. It'll have a bit longer CC this time as I'll be in Melbourne from next Thursday through the Monday, so it'll be kegged on the Tuesday. 

Did the second part of my NEIPA dry hop. Took a sample and she looks almost done after four days.  Not a surprise as the yeast used is from the same guys who do Nottingham.  Certainly has the colour of an NEIPA and she tastes effing good. A tad bitter but should settle down 

FEE23049-C602-4BA5-983A-ACF08004BF02.jpeg

• Like 8

On 11/13/2019 at 3:56 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Put this down today:  Cents & Mosaic APA

OG 1.047; FG 1.011; ABV 4.7% keg, 5.1% bottle; IBU 33.5; EBC 8.6; BU:GU 0.75

Hey Christina - are you gunna force-carb.... guess yes is prolly the answer as your Bottle ABV has gone up... 

Have only just done my very first ever keg and force carbed it - was all fine - but am wondering whether I should have a crack at secondary ferment in the keg as recommended by @PB2...

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 3:56 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Checked the SG on my centenarillo ale earlier, sitting at 1.012 so it's probably pretty much done, after all it's been in there for 8 days. I'll check it again Saturday and if it's the same I'll begin the cold crash. It'll have a bit longer CC this time as I'll be in Melbourne from next Thursday through the Monday, so it'll be kegged on the Tuesday. 

…. trawling the HB shops of the capital of Victoria then Kelsey? 😉

Edited by Bearded Burbler

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey Christina - are you gunna force-carb.... guess yes is prolly the answer as your Bottle ABV has gone up... 

Have only just done my very first ever keg and force carbed it - was all fine - but am wondering whether I should have a crack at secondary ferment in the keg as recommended by @PB2...

Hi BB. Yup, I am fast carbing the keg and only bottling what does not fit into the keg. I think it makes sense to keg and fast carb hoppy brews, so as to have more time to drink them before the hops start to fade. 

One of the beers I have on tap now is a malty Oktoberfest. I fast carbed it but that was probably a waste of gas as it didn't taste all that good initially. It has been in the keg for just over three weeks now and is starting to improve. Might as well have naturally carbonated it as it needed to mature more....Going forward I will bottle malty brews like Oktoberfest, and stout, but English Bitters might be good candidates for naturally carbonating in the keg (or bottle). I have used PB2's method once already; that was English Bitter. 

I don't have a splitter or manifold, so carbing in the keg at serving pressure is not really an option for me. I can only have one keg attached to the gas at a time.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Did the second part of my NEIPA dry hop. Took a sample and she looks almost done after four days.  Not a surprise as the yeast used is from the same guys who do Nottingham.  Certainly has the colour of an NEIPA and she tastes effing good. A tad bitter but should settle down 

Nice colour there paddy. Yours was quick, mine is still bubbling at day 7!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Nice colour there paddy. Yours was quick, mine is still bubbling at day 7!

Must have lower pressure over there in WA and it's easier to let the bubbles out so ferments faster😜

It's either that or the power of @PaddyBrew2's pet  Leprechaun over the yeast in the FV I suspect?!

image.png.0cdfcd053a36eea8e3d529a48faa771a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1