Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

OG should be around 1.055-56 from that. It would have to get down to about 1.009 FG to get 6.5% in the bottle, not sure an all liquid extract brew would get that low, I'd expect 1.012 or above. 

Cheers Otto, the figures didn't look right to me either. On my brew spreadsheet I had estimated 1.055 so it has a way to go. I would be happy with 1.012, anything over 5% is fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Added the isinglass to the red ale yesterday, then dropped the bloody stir bar in as well. Won't be using polyclar on this one unless I can find the other stir bar which seems to have gone walkabouts. 

Physics I say... gets us every time... 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Started my third brew yesterday evening. 

Thought I'd use up the OS Lager that came with the kit.

• 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 1.3kg LDM
  • 110g Molasses
  • 20g EKG  60mins
  • 10g EKG 30mins
  • 15g EKG 15mins
  • Yeast - Safale S04 (hydrated)
  • OG = 1042
  • FG = 1011 ? (estimate)

Will be adding Dry hops when appropriate, not sure what yet, have 25g EKG and 15g Cascade left over so may drop those in.

Pitched at 23C and fridge set to 17.5C. Check it this afternoon at 15:30pm (16hrs in ) and already a 10/15mm Krausen, checked again at 18:30 and it's up at 30mm-40mm !!..   

Not sure how this will turn out, was aiming for a Bitter ale 🤨

20191029_184028.jpg

20191029_184423.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd be raising that temperature in a couple of days up to about 21 or so. S-04 tends to go to sleep before the job is done otherwise 

Ok, thanks.

It's going like crazy at the moment !, Krausen has almost doubled in the last 3 hours, a nice even 50mm all over now. The wort almost looks like it's simmering on a hot plate 😮.

I hope it stays in the FV as there's no room for the collar 😅

• Like 1

Actually I just checked my fermenter and realised that when I topped up the wort I must have had a brain fart and only topped it up to 8lt not 8.5. What difference might that make to the OG and eventual ABV?

(still sitting at 1.020)

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The OG would be 1.059 in 8 litres. Surprised it's still sitting that high.

Thanks, well that gets it just over 5% so I might just have to run with that, temps have been good and now it's at day 10 so I can't see it doing much more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Abbot-67 said:

Ok, thanks.

It's going like crazy at the moment !, Krausen has almost doubled in the last 3 hours, a nice even 50mm all over now. The wort almost looks like it's simmering on a hot plate 😮.

I hope it stays in the FV as there's no room for the collar 😅

Really interested to hear how it goes AB - reckon that is off to a great start!  From the KnK life before I reckon those high Krausens come with that good protein/viscosity of brew that gives good head retention... I might be wrong... but I reckon it should be good.   I got no idea of S04 and reckon best to pick up on Kelsey's @Otto Von Blotto advice for a good finish!

Cheers mate... lookin' good!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, ozlizard said:

Actually I just checked my fermenter and realised that when I topped up the wort I must have had a brain fart and only topped it up to 8lt not 8.5. What difference might that make to the OG and eventual ABV?    (still sitting at 1.020)

I reckon you lucked in OzzyLizz… over 5 is good!

7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I reckon you lucked in OzzyLizz… over 5 is good!

Yeah, well in the bottle now, so we shall see. Don't think I will bother with a small brew again though, measly 8 bottles, just doesn't seem worth it! Still, got another NEIPA ready to go just got to get the hops from SW Hops and get it going.

4 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Yeah, well in the bottle now, so we shall see. Don't think I will bother with a small brew again though, measly 8 bottles, just doesn't seem worth it! Still, got another NEIPA ready to go just got to get the hops from SW Hops and get it going.

I agree mate... the only thing for small vats is if you do a bigger brew and maybe wanna try different yeasts in same wort... split the brew across a cuppla smaller vats... maybe different temp regime in same wort... or maybe dry late hopping different experimental varieties and amounts... that sort of thing.

Yes only 8 bottles... but they will be GOLD 8 bottles mate!!!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, Abbot-67 said:

Started my third brew yesterday evening. 

Thought I'd use up the OS Lager that came with the kit.

• 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 1.3kg LDM
  • 110g Molasses
  • 20g EKG  60mins
  • 10g EKG 30mins
  • 15g EKG 15mins
  • Yeast - Safale S04 (hydrated)
  • OG = 1042
  • FG = 1011 ? (estimate)

Will be adding Dry hops when appropriate, not sure what yet, have 25g EKG and 15g Cascade left over so may drop those in.

Pitched at 23C and fridge set to 17.5C. Check it this afternoon at 15:30pm (16hrs in ) and already a 10/15mm Krausen, checked again at 18:30 and it's up at 30mm-40mm !!..   

Not sure how this will turn out, was aiming for a Bitter ale 🤨

20191029_184028.jpg

20191029_184423.jpg

Not sure i understand. Did you just boil everything? Or just the hops.

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Not sure i understand. Did you just boil everything? Or just the hops.

No, not everything. I was following the Brewery instructions from the IanH spreadsheet.

I created a boil with 533g of the LDM, then added the hops to that.

Stirred in the molasses, lager kit and remaining LDM with 5mins to go before the end of the boil.

1 hour ago, Titan said:

You should  never boil the kit as it will change bittetness and aroma.

I had a feeling that might happen, will be interesting to find out how it finishes up. 

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Treat your hop additions seperate. Make hop tea based on your timings.

So are you saying not to add the hops to the boil with the initial LDM (added to bring the gravity up to 1.040)  ?  I thought that was the idea

47 minutes ago, Abbot-67 said:

I had a feeling that might happen, will be interesting to find out how it finishes up. 

So are you saying not to add the hops to the boil with the initial LDM (added to bring the gravity up to 1.040)  ?  I thought that was the idea

What you have done with the hops is fine.  I think that @Titan is saying not to boil the kit can specifically.  Most of the other ingredients (molasses, LDM) do not need to be boiled, but will not suffer from it.

• Like 2

day 6 of ferment for my SeXPA and it’s pretty much done sitting at 1.011

5kg pale malt

.25 wheat malt

.25 oats

12g warrior @60

30g Mosaic @15

15g FO at 90 deg

comes in at 42 ibu

US-05 

going for a 70g dry hop tomorrow (Day 7) with 50g mosaic and 20g Citra. 4 day dry hop, remove and CC.

Am preferring dry hopping a bit later than day 4 as of recently.  Anyone else?

2C00FFE0-408D-4721-B027-43D899622983.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

going for a 70g dry hop tomorrow (Day 7) with 50g mosaic and 20g Citra. 4 day dry hop, remove and CC.

Am preferring dry hopping a bit later than day 4 as of recently.  Anyone else?

Nice brew photo MB!

I reckon you are on the money with a late late hop... when things are burbling away the C02 bubbles I believe helps scavenge the hop volatiles and helps transport them up and out of the brew.

The brew when approached therefore smells ripper - but all that beautiful hop oil volatile aroma is in the fridge/brew room and off into the great beyond and not in the bottle.

Well that is my (beginner late hopper) take on things... 

Will be interesting to see what the other Brewers think.

Have got some mosaic but not used it yet... a good one for IPA?

Cheers Mate and good luck with the brew!

BB

• Thanks 1

What WAS in my fermenter... pulled the late hopping equipment out of my two separate FVs for the AG Black IPA...  the nylon mesh bag was given the @Beerlust squeeze and the SS hop tube drained... the Enigma-Galaxy aroma was good and strong for FV1 and Cascade-Citra seemed somewhat muted for FV2... hopefully there are lots of aromas in the brew... late hop rates at 4-5g/L so we shall see once the secondary ferment US05 yeasties in the bottle have done their wild thing!

image.thumb.png.da2a59d2709d4248ca73729d183831cf.png

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I reckon you are on the money with a late late hop... when things are burbling away the C02 bubbles I believe helps scavenge the hop volatiles and helps transport them up and out of the brew.

The brew when approached therefore smells ripper - but all that beautiful hop oil volatile aroma is in the fridge/brew room and off into the great beyond and not in the bottle.

Have got some mosaic but not used it yet... a good one for IPA?

I think they call it hop scrubbing when the expelling CO2 takes the hop with it. I may be muddled up though...

this is only the third brew I’ve implemented the later Dry hop schedule but I’ve noticed the two previous brews have had a much cleaner hop taste/aroma than what I used to do and dry hop on day 4 until I bottle. 

i think mosaic would be good in an ipa. Its a regular of mine. I’ve found that it’s a hop you can use a fair bit of and won’t get too much over bearing-ness 

• Like 2

Well round 2 of the MOTB Golden Ale got bottled last night. Sample tasted excellent, maybe a touch better than the first one but I really didn’t do anything different.

Then saw all that lovely yeast sitting there, so mixed up a quick kit and kilo (+) sparkling ale for a fridge filler and tossed that in on top.

Innkeepers Daughter Sparking Ale

1.5kg LDM

300g Dextrose

23l

CCA yeast

• Like 1
  • Haha 1