Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

My Bo Pils is cold crashing at 2 degrees and I just added gelatine. I’m not fussed with my ales being clear but I do like my lagers crystal clear. 

The ABV is 4.7% which is around what I was targeting. I wanted something lighter in alcohol for the nights sitting out the back watching the A-League.
Daylight savings has just started in NSW and I absolutely love it. I can’t believe some states voted against it. 

I used W34/70 and no matter what I do I can never get it as low as what the software predicts. It got down to 1.010 it it was meant to get to 1.006. 

I’m sure it will still taste like delicious delicious beer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I used W34/70 and no matter what I do I can never get it as low as what the software predicts. It got down to 1.010 it it was meant to get to 1.006. 

Sounds good Baron.

Mate I am a supporter of the W34/70 and my AG brews with that specific yeast have produced great results but all also have only ever got to 1.010... 

Any yeast kings out there have any comment on that?  Obviously will depend upon the fermentables you start with... anyway... all is very interesting.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

I'm not usually a brewer of lagers and this my first time brewing a Munich Helles - somewhat unconventionally.  It's already progressing very well.  In order to satisfy my and others curiosity I'm actually fermenting cold with Nottingham yeast.  A day after pitch it's already dropped 6 SG points so there's no doubt that this very talented yeast is quite content fermenting cold! 

I also wanted to see how pale I could go colour-wise when using 40% LME (cerveza can), though I did already sacrifice 0.5EBC by adding 600g vienna malt to the grist. 

• 1.7kg Coopers Cerveza
  • 1.6kg GF German Pilsner Malt
  • 600g GF Vienna Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 200g Sugar
  • 25g Wakatu @ 10mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Nottingham Yeast

| ABV=5% | IBU=19 | EBC=6.5 |

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

My Bo Pils is cold crashing at 2 degrees and I just added gelatine. I’m not fussed with my ales being clear but I do like my lagers crystal clear. 

The ABV is 4.7% which is around what I was targeting. I wanted something lighter in alcohol for the nights sitting out the back watching the A-League.
Daylight savings has just started in NSW and I absolutely love it. I can’t believe some states voted against it. 

Because the extra hour of daylight faded the curtains and the old crook Sir Joh's peanuts never grew the same mate. Plus the cows milk production was down because they didnt know what time it was. 

Yeah my W34/70 never gets as low as my other lager strains being budvar and danish. Makes a good beer though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Because the extra hour of daylight faded the curtains and the old crook Sir Joh's peanuts never grew the same mate. Plus the cows milk production was down because they didnt know what time it was. 

Don't forget the extra hour of daylight makes it unbearable in north Queensland and farmers have to work one hour extra because they always work from sunrise to sunset... 🙂 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Don't forget the extra hour of daylight makes it unbearable in north Queensland and farmers have to work one hour extra because they always work from sunrise to sunset... 🙂 

Just not worth it it for WA. Trialed for 3 years in 2006 and rejected.  The extra hour made no lifestyle differences and we were still 2 hours behind the East, which made all the economic arguments about dealing with Eastern states offices still moot.

4 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Just not worth it it for WA. Trialed for 3 years in 2006 and rejected.  The extra hour made no lifestyle differences and we were still 2 hours behind the East, which made all the economic arguments about dealing with Eastern states offices still moot.

It doesn't help reducing power usage, as it initially was intended to do but it sure is great to not sit in the dark at 7:30pm. That extra hour of daylight is pretty cool. We don't have to take it to the extreme like this one, taken in Reykjavik at 1am just a few days after summer solstice 🙂

IMG_5023.jpg

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah my W34/70 never gets as low as my other lager strains being budvar and danish. Makes a good beer though.

That's it mate... luvyerwork! 

image.png.7fc4ec1c6dfeda04bbf8b0c03bb17f7a.png

I I I you you you, don't worry about a thing, we we we we'll look after you very very well.... 

Cool re W34/70 yeah I reckon it's a champion of a yeast... definitely does make great beer!

I am paling up at the moment with US05... but wanna have a crack at a straight 17 deg C Brew with the Weihenstephaner yeast at some stage to see how it goes.

Edited by Bearded Burbler

Goodness Gracious this is looking like being one SERIOUS IPA coming up... the ol' OG hydro is not sinking a long way in...

I did the AG thing but as I had some Light Dry Malt lounging around like an unregistered dog I thought maybe 'top things up a little'... was this a bad idea?

If this brews out down to 1.015 that's above 8% ABV.... will me poor old US05 yeasty cope?

Happy for advice here Brewers...

image.thumb.png.c4b474f4b2ddeac6f90786392d769bb5.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Perhaps WA should change their time by 3 hours.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Goodness Gracious this is looking like being one SERIOUS IPA coming up... the ol' OG hydro is not sinking a long way in...

I did the AG thing but as I had some Light Dry Malt lounging around like an unregistered dog I thought maybe 'top things up a little'... was this a bad idea?

If this brews out down to 1.015 that's above 8% ABV.... will me poor old US05 yeasty cope?

Happy for advice here Brewers...

image.thumb.png.c4b474f4b2ddeac6f90786392d769bb5.png

Fermentis state an ABV tolerance on US-05 of 9-11%, so it should be OK.

I'd just be ensuring you pitch sufficient amounts, probably 3 packs to be safe.

Mitch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Fermentis state an ABV tolerance on US-05 of 9-11%, so it should be OK.

I'd just be ensuring you pitch sufficient amounts, probably 3 packs to be safe.

Mitch.

Beaut thanks mate for that Mitch - that is good news... phew. 

Was wondering whether I had been a bit ambitious... with looking at using up the LDME.

I did a really nice US05 starter with one dry pack overnight and it was cranking when it went in - so hopefully that will do the trick... it was with the same wort too... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Thats a high ABV mate IPA mate. Should turn out well.

Thanks Greeny!

… no troubles you reckon with the US05 being able to cope?  Did a cracking starter overnight in the same Wort and it seemed pretty happy to be mixed up with that set of fermentables...

Guess I just am hoping the plain ol' US05 can cope processing all those available fermentables as the ABV rises higher....  Mitch notes US05 copes to 11% ABV so hopefully that means I am in the clear?

59 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Perhaps WA should change their time by 3 hours.

WA is closer to Singapore than Sydney, and in the same time zone. Qld are the oddballs here, they have no excuse for not changing, being in the same time zone as the whole east coast.

Back on Topic... What's in my fermenter (obviously suffering cos the time has been changed due to daylight saving-I'll keep the brew fridge door closed so as not to shock the poor brew)

is the big OG IP looking like it is on track with the US05 starter and some nice ferment smells coming off.  Will leave for a good few days before adding the Late Hop Triple C.

Go you good thing!!!

image.png.951f0a893b5bede8b3c8091e2008d08d.png

• Like 5

My CCA Riwaka/Galaxy brew kicked off early & had obvious signs of fermentation this morning before I left for work, & is bopping along very nicely @ 20°C atm. I've got a good feeling about this one. Looks & smells promising.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

Just bottled the Coopers Chubby Cherub. First brew without a beer kit. Interesting sample, expected to look and taste more like a WC pale, which is the style they're going for, which I'm assuming is Little Creatures Pale. It's not as hoppy as that, and looks more like a light amber.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Back on Topic... What's in my fermenter (obviously suffering cos the time has been changed due to daylight saving-I'll keep the brew fridge door closed so as not to shock the poor brew)

is the big OG IP looking like it is on track with the US05 starter and some nice ferment smells coming off.  Will leave for a good few days before adding the Late Hop Triple C.

Go you good thing!!!

image.png.951f0a893b5bede8b3c8091e2008d08d.png

Next time try to keep the starter wort around 1.040 SG. It's better for yeast health and growth than throwing it straight at practically 1.080 wort.

This is why I keep dry malt on hand. It's easy to make up starter worts and keep them all consistently the same. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks Greeny!

… no troubles you reckon with the US05 being able to cope?  Did a cracking starter overnight in the same Wort and it seemed pretty happy to be mixed up with that set of fermentables...

Guess I just am hoping the plain ol' US05 can cope processing all those available fermentables as the ABV rises higher....  Mitch notes US05 copes to 11% ABV so hopefully that means I am in the clear?

Yeah mate it will munch through it fine. Just to echo kelsey a bit i wouldn't do a starter in such high OG wort as well. I have on ocassion taken 2 or 3 litres of high OG wort when no chilling and fired it up and pitched the whole starter back into the wort but its not best practice. For repeatability for ales pitching a consistent number of cells is key in my opinion to getting repeatable results. The way to do that is make the starter in 1036 OG wort the same everytime.

Saying this with US 05 being a clean type yeast i dont think it would make much difference but consistency in any procedure will usually give a consistent result.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 3

@Bearded Burbler

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

I use this calculator mate but plenty of others around. The rates i tend to use different rates for different yeasts based on my preferences. Belgians for example i use a 0.75 but normal pales i use 1.0. For CCA yeast i use 1.25. For a big beer ill use 1.25.

Calculators are not for everyone. Some think pitching rates don't matter all that much but my experience especially with ales and in particular belgian ales tells me it does. 

• Like 2