Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

So this was AG Brew Day earlier in the week's product in the FV at 18 deg with US05 - a nice healthy starter - serious Krauessen the next morning which was nice...  Might end up being more of a Golden Ale than a Sparkling - though I am no expert on BJCP Classes... the Maris Otter, Voyager Veloria and Biscuit probably have given it a nice colour.  And the ferment - I dunno if I am crazy - as always just smells great... so hopefully the beer goes well and can go into THE VERY SECOND KEG ever ; )

Only downside is that Wollemi NP fire has flared again and we are back shrouded by smoke... had hoped the storms last weekend might've helped knock it out but not to be...

Any punters willing it guess how long this might run till it has done its dash with the ferment... started around 1055 - is US05 healthy and 18 deg C...   I usually leave it 10 days anyway in the brew fridge... 

image.png.201528bb39942e5f24b3332cefbace43.png

• Like 3

On 11/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll be brewing the ESB I planned a while back on Saturday so that'll go in early next week. I'll make the starter later in the week as well, could have done it today but it'd be ready too early. 

How long do you run your starter for ?

3 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Got my Coopers Session Ale in, it says to pitch at 16deg but I am going to use two Coopers brew can yeasts, do I really need to get that low?

Mate I have not brewed it so should not be commenting really but woulda thought 18 would be goooooood?  Maybe I am completely wrong... but 18's my go-to temp for Ales. BB

• Like 1

Just now, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate I have not brewed it so should not be commenting really but woulda thought 18 would be goooooood?  Maybe I am completely wrong... but 18's my go-to temp for Ales. BB

Yeah my very thoughts, got the PF sitting in some ice water so hopefully will get it down to 18, sitting around 22 atm. Got to get me a fridge, this is going to be a bugger over summer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Why does liquid yeast cost twice as much as dry yeast and also entails making starters which requires DME, science lab gear and a stir plate ? 

Good point. I have spent a fortune on a good quality lab coat and framed periodic table......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You dont need a stir plate. Its a nice to have and you can make one quite easily as well. Buying a flask is easy. Most LHBS have them. 

You will save craploads making starters over buying yeast everytime even with the DME cost. Plus it gives you about 5 times the choice that just using dry yeast would.

• Like 1

How long does yeast last though. I’m doing an esb next. I was looking at the white labs London esb liquid. If I harvested the yeast at the end and stored in fridge , don’t I just have one month to use ? The chances of me making another English bitter in that time are slim 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

How long does yeast last though. I’m doing an esb next. I was looking at the white labs London esb liquid. If I harvested the yeast at the end and stored in fridge , don’t I just have one month to use ? The chances of me making another English bitter in that time are slim 

Slurry yes about a month. But!!! You would find if you kept that slurry a year and a half you could still make another starter out of it. 

Harvesting and storing yeast is probably the best way to get ongoing savings from your brewing. Kelsey did a whole write up on his process of overmaking the starter and storing that. I use that process as it allows you to store under unhopped beer rather than hopped.. its a good read.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ozlizard said:

Yeah my very thoughts, got the PF sitting in some ice water so hopefully will get it down to 18, sitting around 22 atm. Got to get me a fridge, this is going to be a bugger over summer!

Gumtree or maybe a local Buy, Swap, Sell fakebook site. I got an all-fridge locally that takes 2 x FV.s for $30 and he brought it around for me.  😄 He also had 30 x PET's for $10 so bonus time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Why does liquid yeast cost twice as much as dry yeast and also entails making starters which requires DME, science lab gear and a stir plate ? 

It's just a shedload easier to keep the dry yeast in store and ship around the world cos it survives so well.... but the Liq stuff needs to be handled with care.... kept cool etc... so costs a bomb... I may not be complying with BJCP and Palmer rules... but from memory I just dumped my beautiful W3068 Wyeast Hefeweizen into the Wort and it worked an absolute treat... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Slurry yes about a month. But!!! You would find if you kept that slurry a year and a half you could still make another starter out of it. 

Harvesting and storing yeast is probably the best way to get ongoing savings from your brewing. Kelsey did a whole write up on his process of overmaking the starter and storing that. I use that process as it allows you to store under unhopped beer rather than hopped.. its a good read.

Where is this splendid document?

Kelsey's @Otto Von Blotto write up pray tell?

I awoke early this morning to the lovely calming sound of an airlock symphony. 😊

The WLP059 Melbourne Ale strain is a beast. It's got going very quickly after pitching late yesterday & the rate of which it is churning CO² I've not seen since the last Saison I made.

If it keeps up at this rate, it'll be finished fermenting the entire wort by the time I get home from work later today! LOL

Very impressive. 😎

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I've used slurry that was much older than a month without issue.   If you're worried about reduced viability after several months storage then perhaps just harvest and pitch more to compensate. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Thanks Greeny and thanks @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey.  Good stuff.

Lads - besides being a pure uncontam (if potential contam happens in a brew) version of your yeast - what are the advantages of 'harvesting a starter' over harvesting some slurry?

Is it a difference in the 'life phase' of the yeast population?

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I awoke early this morning to the lovely calming sound of an airlock symphony. 😊

I know some don't like the sealed FVs and bubblers - but when they work well and the ferment is cranking - the sound of the bubbler is truly a beautiful thing!  : )

I know you are a seriously committed brewer Lusty - but do you actually share your sleeping quarters with your Fermentation Vat?  🤔

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I know some don't like the sealed FVs and bubblers - but when they work well and the ferment is cranking - the sound of the bubbler is truly a beautiful thing!  : )

Have to agree BB. The Session Ale just sat there for 24 hours without a sign of life and I was started to get worried, especially as I had used two sachets of  brew can yeast. However this morning it is going off like a boiling kettle!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Have to agree BB. The Session Ale just sat there for 24 hours without a sign of life and I was started to get worried, especially as I had used two sachets of  brew can yeast. However this morning it is going off like a boiling kettle!

Cool Lizzo!

I love the burbling bubbles ; )    And your Brew sounds like it is very very happy.... pure gold!

Did you just add the sachets to the brew?  As it does seem to take a bit longer when just adding the dry yeast... so was it like 36 hours before going off?  It can be a harrowing experience I agree.   What temp you running at?

I have been doing starters from Dry Yeast Sachets... and after pitching the starter this latest Ale the brew was cranking overnight at 18 degC… 

Just chucked them in dry then had to wait 24 hours for it to get going. Temp is around 18-20 deg so spot on. I used two packs cos I had them sitting around from other brews where I had used a different yeast. Should ferment out pretty well!