Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Yes it will likely be overcarbed. You could relieve the pressure once a day for a few days or wait for it to finish carbonating and release all pressure before pouring a glass. 

What I do with overcarbed kegs is the latter option. Bleed all pressure then just give it a quick hit to get enough pressure in it to dribble it out the tap. This allows me to pour a glass without all the foaming. I just keep doing that every glass until the carbonation drops low enough for serving pressure gas to be put back on. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes it will likely be overcarbed. You could relieve the pressure once a day for a few days or wait for it to finish carbonating and release all pressure before pouring a glass. 

What I do with overcarbed kegs is the latter option. Bleed all pressure then just give it a quick hit to get enough pressure in it to dribble it out the tap. This allows me to pour a glass without all the foaming. I just keep doing that every glass until the carbonation drops low enough for serving pressure gas to be put back on. 

Beaut.  Thanks Kelsey.

Another good lesson learned.

I'll write a note on the Keg and then deal with it at the time I crack it.

Cheers. BB

Another question for all you Keg Experts...

If I want to store for a few weeks either force carbed or naturally carbonated/carbonating kegs of lager/pilsener and ales is there a problem if the temp goes up to say 28 deg C for a sealed keg?

I realise that for instance Pils/Lagers do very well with a period of lager-conditioning at low temps... but am wondering whether I can get away with just plain ambient storage of 22-28 or might these higher temps be detrimental to this hard-won AG brew?

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Another question for all you Keg Experts...

If I want to store for a few weeks either force carbed or naturally carbonated/carbonating kegs of lager/pilsener and ales is there a problem if the temp goes up to say 28 deg C for a sealed keg?

I realise that for instance Pils/Lagers do very well with a period of lager-conditioning at low temps... but am wondering whether I can get away with just plain ambient storage of 22-28 or might these higher temps be detrimental to this hard-won AG brew?

I usually try to keep my kegs under 25 but it's not always possible. I've left lagers at ambient before and they've not deteriorated, but they do taste better if they're kept cold. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable. 

I can fit one, maybe two kegs in the second brew fridge with an FV in it, so I'll probably condition them in there while they wait for a tap, at least over the warmer months. The cold crash might even line up with when the kegerator becomes free so they can pre chill before going in. 

The pilsner will be kegged probably a few days before the ham in there is ready to come out so I'll leave the keg in there if the kegerator isn't ready for it yet, and then it and the ESB keg can go in together to carbonate when the latter is kegged. 

Currently there is only the centenarillo on tap, which is at the back, and I'd like to put the pilsner there so if it runs out before then it'll go straight in, and the ESB in the other front spot. It'll be easier than moving kegs out of the way to put it at the back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

Saison at ambient shed temps 12 hours after pitching. Don’t normally bother with the airlock but it’s a nice sound.

Hey mate, 

Saisons are the only yeast I don’t use airlock for. Each to there own, I’d just be careful doing that with the more finicky strains. 

Captain

• Thanks 1

Waimea's Sister - Golden Ale.    I messed up a bit with this one...  it was when I got up to 22 litres while topping up the volume that I remembered it was supposed to only be a 20 litre batch!  Doh! 

🤪 

I guess it just means it's now a bit more sessionable than originally intended!  😁     After priming should be just on 4% ABV. 

20191210_133026.jpg

5 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Hey mate, 

Saisons are the only yeast I don’t use airlock for. Each to there own, I’d just be careful doing that with the more finicky strains. 

Captain

Really only used it cause I couldn’t find the duct tape last night and it was sitting there.

What issues have you had with them Cappy?

2 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Really only used it cause I couldn’t find the duct tape last night and it was sitting there.

What issues have you had with them Cappy?

It is said that co2 blanketing in the fermenter can cause yeast stall. 
There are some yeast more prone than others but if your using dry yeast you probably don’t need to worry too much about stalling

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I usually try to keep my kegs under 25 but it's not always possible. I've left lagers at ambient before and they've not deteriorated, but they do taste better if they're kept cold. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable. 

I can fit one, maybe two kegs in the second brew fridge with an FV in it, so I'll probably condition them in there while they wait for a tap, at least over the warmer months. The cold crash might even line up with when the kegerator becomes free so they can pre chill before going in. 

Thanks Kelsey.  Yeah I would most certainly like to keep them cooler if I could as the ambient is gunna go up without a doubt. 

And my Lagering experiment with bottles for 2-3 months at 2 degrees I believe clearly (ho ho as it did clarify them too) made a nicer beer to drink - the results were quite remarkable.

I am going to see what I can do... I wanted to naturally carb them all in the keg - but instead - maybe I do that with one Ale - and then force carb the Lager and the Sparkling and cool store them.

Kelsey - All Keggers - how many days do we reckon I need for Secondary Carb to complete in the 19L Keg with US05 at around 23 degrees?   Albeit with 200g of Dex that me cobber Otto Man kindly advises that is bottling numbers not kegs 😋

I would connect the gas regulator so I could watch the carbonation levels and ensure it doesn't go to high and as a safety measure, but that is just me.

I have only done one batch with a secondary fermentation in the keg, I left it for 10 days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I would connect the gas regulator so I could watch the carbonation levels and ensure it doesn't go to high and as a safety measure, but that is just me.

I have only done one batch with a secondary fermentation in the keg, I left it for 10 days.

Those Corny kegs will take huge pressure; my Local Guy said 90psi did not blow one up! No idea why he would experiment to that extent.

To secondary ferment in a keg, ie, to add sugar to it for CO2, I would expect to run it over 2-3 weeks at 23 odd degrees, with US05.

I must admit though, I don't get it, when you can connect to a CO2 cylinder @ 30psi for 24hrs, then 12psi for several hours, then commence to drinkin'. 😋

Cheers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Worthog said:

I must admit though, I don't get it, when you can connect to a CO2 cylinder @ 30psi for 24hrs, then 12psi for several hours, then commence to drinkin'. 😋

All good Cob Hoggler!  

Fact is that I want to crack these kegs in January.  And if doing natural carb any residual Oxy the Yeasty Boys will scavenge any little last bit... so good for storing up.  And also less buying C02 for me if I am making the C02 meself.

So am on a bit of a project to crank out something like 3 kegs for early-mid January and want to get them done shortly... got Golden Ale in keg natural carbing (with too much Dex and yeah I cannot see that keg blowing up but there might be overcarb issues) and I got a Sparkling Ale and Lager in FVs right now... 

Reckon I might just get the Sparkling done... and the Lager done... Force Carb those two in keg and bottle the remainder.... and then before I head off put all kegs into the brew fridge at 17 deg C and hare off and hope we don't get burnt out or lose too much power while I am away 😆

• Like 1

Ok so ignore the safety measure part but wouldn't you want to know the psi in the keg? That seems like not a bad way to monitor it and if it gets to say 60psi then release pressure to help prevent it from overcarbing? Just thinking outside the box here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

Those Corny kegs will take huge pressure; my Local Guy said 90psi did not blow one up! No idea why he would experiment to that extent.

To secondary ferment in a keg, ie, to add sugar to it for CO2, I would expect to run it over 2-3 weeks at 23 odd degrees, with US05.

Cheers

That is a cool experiment. I would be too scared to try it but definitely good to know.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Probably not really any safety risk though, the kegs are rated to 100psi and I can't see it going anywhere near that 

@Norris! thanks mate... I think that these kegs are pretty tough bits of kit - as @Otto Von Blotto notes they are rated to 100psi... so am thinking I am going to be ok - but I appreciate your input and agree that things need to be taken carefully.... and will be careful when attaching and cracking!

It's fine brewing in glassies and then moving to Kegs but there is are loadsa things to learn - so appreciate all the feedback. 

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Norris! said:

No worries. I am a little cautious with things, probably too much so,  my ignorance of the keg capabilities isn't an excuse. Cheers on the kind reply.

Norris

Mate where there is gas under pressure there is plenty of stored energy so being cautious is mighty sensible.   Safety First even when it comes to brewing I think is good practice. Cheers. BB

• Thanks 1

So the Sparkling seems to be chortling along ok...  having a bit of trouble keeping it real cool... but am hoping the 22-23 degC with US05 might be ok.

@Ben 10 Benny mate if you are doing yours ambient up the Tableland suspect your temps would be in the 20s and your Ales go just fine?  

The odours from the ferment in the Coopers Plazzi FV are very nice:

image.thumb.png.c18fa9dcb05baab2fc4bd385a8891f2b.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

ESB is up and going, actually was yesterday. Probably 15-20mm krausen after around 22-23 hours so it likely started a few hours prior to that. I'll take my usual 72 hour sample tomorrow and see where it's at. 

Didn't get around to taking that sample. Work's been a crock this week and that looks set to continue into next week too, at least for Monday and Tuesday. 

Anyway, I decided to let it rise to 21 yesterday anyway, I figure it's dropped far enough for it. I'll definitely take a sample tomorrow though 😂 got a brew and BBQ day happening here. Mate coming round for a few brews too, should be good. 

• Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, BlackSands said:

Waimea's Sister - Golden Ale.    I messed up a bit with this one...  it was when I got up to 22 litres while topping up the volume that I remembered it was supposed to only be a 20 litre batch!  Doh! 

🤪 

I guess it just means it's now a bit more sessionable than originally intended!  😁     After priming should be just on 4% ABV. 

Well, this one has fermented out to 1.008 in two days - a couple points higher than estimated, so it's now looking like around 3.8% after priming.  

Curiously, the beer is already looking pretty clear - something I've noticed with all these recent AG batches - they seem to clear up much quicker and finish much brighter than my extracts or partials do. 

And... as for the HORT 4337 hops -  PEACHES!   Lots of PEACHES!  I've had a peaches vibe from Wai-iti before but not at this HORT4337 level.  

🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑   

It's inspired me to concoct a "Peach Pale Ale" recipe using  HORT4337 + Wai-iti + Waimea.    

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On thursday I removed the dry hop to my Mt. Hood Pale Ale. It's been cold crashing since. I will keg this tomorrow.

I'm gonna need it too.  Forecast for Northern Adelaide this week... Monday - Friday: 38°, 42°, 43°, 44°, 46°?? WTF?!! 😬

Take it easy this week fellow croweaters.

Lusty.

• Sad 1