Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

So the airlock has died down on my westmalle tripel. 1.006 the reading. Judging from the other times i have used it its got a point or two left. Just a bit above wyeasts guide of 74-78. 93% attenuation. 

As I noted above Greeny…. you are the Belgian Brew King!

Great stuff.

BB

Hi all,

Put my usual house IPA down last night, swapped out the Chinook for Simcoe for a slight change

FERMENTABLES

Coopers lager can, Coopers LLME can, 500g LDME, 250g Wheat DME, 200g Caramunich II, 300g sugar

HOPS

30g Simcoe, 25g Citra 10mins

25g Mosaic, 25g Citra 5 mins

Will dry hop 50g Citra, 25g each of Simcoe and Mosaic.

1.5L starter of Nottingham 

OG 1.061

Predicted FG 1.014

IBU 49

24 litres in FV

Will be putting the new kegerator together before the brew is done , so will not be bottling this one!

Cheers

James

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

After a shocking brew day last Sunday my Bo Pils has dropped very very quickly to 1.010 in 6 days despite fermenting at 12 degrees. The sample looked good 

Good to hear BB1... there can be challenging brew days... have had a few myself... glad to hear things are picking up mate.

BB2

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good to hear BB1... there can be challenging brew days... have had a few myself... glad to hear things are picking up mate.

BB2

I made a modification to my Grainfather and the new connection on the recirculating arm hasn’t sealed properly and it was sucking air in and putting it in the Grainfather so I couldn’t use it. While mashing I just had to keep stirring. I only missed OG by a point but mash temperatures kept fluctuating. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I made a modification to my Grainfather and the new connection on the recirculating arm hasn’t sealed properly and it was sucking air in and putting it in the Grainfather so I couldn’t use it. While mashing I just had to keep stirring. I only missed OG by a point but mash temperatures kept fluctuating. 

You Brewers and all your fancy electronic gadgetry BB1 !?!

You just need a big lump of stainless steel you can manage ; )

Just jarkin… I have all these problems with heat control and element burn on... so we all have our challenges mate it seems!

image.png.4cbb07e7a89cf55733440003be4a7ac6.png

• Like 3

I've just dumped the Nelson Sauvin/Citra/Amarillo dry hop into my current Dogfish Head 60 min IPA modified Pale Ale brew. Hydro sample was spot on 1.011. The colour looks divine in the hydro tube as a deepish orange colour, but colour depth can be a little misleading sometimes in the tube against what will be thrown once in the glass. At worst I still think it will throw a nice coloured hue. The aroma is nice & has a notable caramel-like influence, so am hoping the rather unique hop schedule & use of dextrose balances with that so the beer doesn't come across too sweet. It shouldn't, but the jury is still out on that one.

I'm looking to re-activate some CCA yeast soon, as I've found the Spring to be a great time to brew beers with this yeast to the point of ambient conditions being very helpful for those without proper temp control. I bought some Lemondrop hops a few weeks ago, so the Coopers XPA recipe looks like the use for that re-activated yeast.

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I've just dumped the Nelson Sauvin/Citra/Amarillo dry hop into my current Dogfish Head 60 min IPA modified Pale Ale brew. Hydro sample was spot on 1.011. The colour looks divine in the hydro tube as a deepish orange colour, but colour depth can be a little misleading sometimes in the tube against what will be thrown once in the glass. At worst I still think it will throw a nice coloured hue. The aroma is nice & has a notable caramel-like influence, so am hoping the rather unique hop schedule & use of dextrose balances with that so the beer doesn't come across too sweet. It shouldn't, but the jury is still out on that one.

Cheers Lusty - sounds great - good luck with that one!

BB

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 6:18 PM, Beer Baron said:

We all make mistakes. I'd un-modify it then. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

Hey @Beer Baron, It sounds like you did the camlock conversion.  I made this modification too.  Mine worked out fine though.  Nevertheless, I was paranoid about cutting the collar off the recirculating arm thingy.

If you haven't already checked, make sure that the compression fitting was installed properly.  You tube videos helped me to understand the right way.

Also maybe there are hacksaw grooves on the outside of the pipe where the compression fitting was attached.  These might be enough to allow leaks through.  You should be able to slightly re-position the fitting.

I hope you can rectify it.  I do not know why the Grainfather did not come standard with a camlock fitting.  It is so handy for switching or just removing the recirculating arm or the counter-flow chiller.

40 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Beer Baron, It sounds like you did the camlock conversion.  I made this modification too.  Mine worked out fine though.  Nevertheless, I was paranoid about cutting the collar off the recirculating arm thingy.

If you haven't already checked, make sure that the compression fitting was installed properly.  You tube videos helped me to understand the right way.

Also maybe there are hacksaw grooves on the outside of the pipe where the compression fitting was attached.  These might be enough to allow leaks through.  You should be able to slightly re-position the fitting.

I hope you can rectify it.  I do not know why the Grainfather did not come standard with a camlock fitting.  It is so handy for switching or just removing the recirculating arm or the counter-flow chiller.

Yeah I’m sure it’s only something small and it will be an easy fix. 
I should’ve tested it before brewing. 

• Like 1

Wacked a couple more pales in today. Interesting, I used the sloppy slurry method this time and as I was harvesting I realised that due to my process, my slurry has very very little hop matter. In fact it’s really really clean. 

No dry hop matter due to bagging, my cube hops get left behind due to syphon. The only hop matter in there is the 15-20g bittering addition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Wacked a couple more pales in today. Interesting, I used the sloppy slurry method this time and as I was harvesting I realised that due to my process, my slurry has very very little hop matter. In fact it’s really really clean. 

No dry hop matter due to bagging, my cube hops get left behind due to syphon. The only hop matter in there is the 15-20g bittering addition. 

How much slurry did you use mate? I have found it very unpredictable with ales to the point i dont do it anymore. 

44 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

How much slurry did you use mate? I have found it very unpredictable with ales to the point i dont do it anymore. 

Yeah I’ve often worried about that. Just pulled off about 100ml of thick yeast.  I’m not too fussed with how it ferments this time. Just a plug and play type a beer. 

I haven’t done this for a long time due to your reasons too, I just could not be assed today, 

16 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah I’ve often worried about that. Just pulled off about 100ml of thick yeast.  I’m not too fussed with how it ferments this time. Just a plug and play type a beer. 

I haven’t done this for a long time due to your reasons too, I just could not be assed today, 

Yeah mate. I used to do it and worked on a 1.5bn per ml figure. But experience told me that was highly variable as well. 

37 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah mate. I used to do it and worked on a 1.5bn per ml figure. But experience told me that was highly variable as well. 

I’m thinking that it’s slightly under pitched but honestly, if it makes beer, sweet. Just keg fillers really 

Plucked my dry hop baggy out & squeezed all the liquid goodness back into the beer yesterday comprising of Amarillo, Citra, & Nelson Sauvin. A really nice combo & smelled terrific. My partner gave me the thumbs up too. The malt balance against the hopping rate is still up in the air though. I'll know more after kegging & ageing for a short time whether I've got that right or wrong. The CaraBohemian weight vs dextrose will tell the major story on balance, but hopping weights can help with those balances too. 

For those familiar with posts from Dr. Smurto on other forums, this is a grain he has mentioned as one he has a personal liking for, & after reading his posts I decided to try it a year or two ago, & agree with him & like it too.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

After a week of cleaning and leering sit. My fv has a second to be of galaxy cerveza which I'm calling the Mexican stargazer.  Just a Cooper's kit and kilo but I do a hop tea at about 2/3 fermentation. 

Need to get as much as I can in before it just gets too hot. No fridge to control the fermentation. I'd be good but having lost my last two brews consecutive I'm now running low for an impending bastard of a summer

• Like 1
  • Sad 1