Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

In that case the actual reading is probably 2 points higher than what it says at the top. I often use this theory when taking readings from cloudy fermenting beer, or darker beers, and I read from the top and add 4 points (two extra points because it reads low in water). 

Interesting! Cheers. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, MitchellScott said:

Following on from above... Not sure whats going on but I am for the second brew in a row I am reading low on my OG.
Just read 1.064 for the Coopers Vintage Ale '19 which IanH spreadsheet calculated should've read 1.069.

Hey there Mitch… mate I wouldn't worry about it too much...  I am a recent convert to Hydrometers... and really do appreciate the data/direction they provide...

Got meself a fancy beaut glass fella that is pure gold... 

but I don't think that from Ian's spready and your measurement that you would need to be concerned about that minor difference...  1064 sounds ripper to me...

And then what comes out the other end the FG.... I reckon you are on the way to a ripper brew mate ; )

Others may argue otherwise but I don't reckon that 005 is worth any concern despite the fact that we all are aiming for excellence in brewing 😝

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there Mitch… mate I wouldn't worry about it too much...  I am a recent convert to Hydrometers... and really do appreciate the data/direction they provide...

Got meself a fancy beaut glass fella that is pure gold... 

but I don't think that from Ian's spready and your measurement that you would need to be concerned about that minor difference...  1064 sounds ripper to me...

And then what comes out the other end the FG.... I reckon you are on the way to a ripper brew mate ; )

Others may argue otherwise but I don't reckon that 005 is worth any concern despite the fact that we all are aiming for excellence in brewing 😝

Thanks mate! I'm sure the brew will be beautiful, just thought it was odd cause all my brews up until these last two the ianh spreadsheet was on the money with OG. 

Nonetheless I'm not complaining, my ESVA '19 is bubbling away nicely and I can't wait to age it a little and enjoy in a month or two!! 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

I'd be pretty annoyed if one of my brews was 5 points under target, because that would mean something effed up in the brewing process. But it's different with extract, because the same recipe will always have the same OG. 

I dunno why your hydrometer readings aren't matching up with the spreadsheet, but from knowing how to calculate SG from dissolved sugar amounts, I can tell you that it is always correct or very close regardless of what a real hydrometer reading says. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd be pretty annoyed if one of my brews was 5 points under target, because that would mean something effed up in the brewing process. But it's different with extract, because the same recipe will always have the same OG. 

I dunno why your hydrometer readings aren't matching up with the spreadsheet, but from knowing how to calculate SG from dissolved sugar amounts, I can tell you that it is always correct or very close regardless of what a real hydrometer reading says. 

Yeah if it was AG I'd certainly be trying to work out the reasoning behind it but since its Extract I'm not too bothered. The show goes on :)... Everything on this brew was done perfectly accurate, even the Dextrose was dissolved in boiling water before the extract was added so it's got me stumped as to why its low.

Mitch.

Maybe the percentage of water to sugar in the extract itself is a little different from what's used in the SG calculation. It's based on 80% solids for the liquid extract. 

The only other reason would be that it wasn't mixed as evenly as you thought. I'm sure the beer will still turn out fine though 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Shiraz/Merlot.   Don't often drink Pinot Noir.  Tastes thin and watery to me.  I like Aussie reds... they got some balls!   😁

I'm curious to hear how it turns out. I've heard the concentrates can be interesting fermentable additions to beers, but are not that great on their own. Are you planning on oaking? 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911

19 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Thanks mate! I'm sure the brew will be beautiful, just thought it was odd cause all my brews up until these last two the ianh spreadsheet was on the money with OG. 

Nonetheless I'm not complaining, my ESVA '19 is bubbling away nicely and I can't wait to age it a little and enjoy in a month or two!! 

Cheers. 

Gold.  Sounds good.  And yeah I guess if you were on the money with the other two hey.... 

A more happy Vat this time...

Another AG Hefeweizen with the famous W3068 liquid yeast... yeast slurry off the last brew now in the bottle ferment stages...

And some nice smelling Weizen odours coming off which hopefully is a sign of good things to come 😜

image.png.d6347fb0c88fdc526b4e58d004815f01.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I'm curious to hear how it turns out. I've heard the concentrates can be interesting fermentable additions to beers, but are not that great on their own. Are you planning on oaking? 

Cheers, 

John 

The only oak I can get hold is in spiral or chip form... and pretty pricey.  Decided to skip it this time... but if I like the result and decide to do another I might treat myself to some bits of over-priced wood chips! 

• Like 1

i had one of those brew Mitch...i called it Murphys pale ale... everytime i went to do something with the brew i messed up.

Turned out to be a ripper brew that i just bottled up my 2nd batch of it!

Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RepSpec said:

i had one of those brew Mitch...i called it Murphys pale ale... everytime i went to do something with the brew i messed up.

Fingers crossed for you!

Early days in my all grain brewing so it’s expected to happen while I’m dialing in. 

No doubt I’ll end up with beer so that’s a plus. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Fingers crossed for you!

My first AG was a bit like that RepSpec mate from some mash complications and it turned out to be Gold... sadly only got one bottle left.

Good luck with the NHP @MitchBastard reckon you'll get a beer out of it ; )

Just watch out that Cactus don't get tangled up in yer hydro though !?!  😝

Looks like it's keen for a slurp...

13 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Fingers crossed for you!

It can be hard to replicate these beers because nothing went to plan.  I had one that smelled pretty dubious at bottling.  However, on drinking it was grand.

• Haha 1

As per the brew day thread...

Hobgollum   😈

• 2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
  • 600g  LME
  • 250g Sugar
  • 25g Styrian Goldings @ 15min
  • 25g Styrian Goldings @ 5min
  • 5g Gypsum
  • 14g Coopers Blended Yeast

| OG=1.054 | ABV = 5.6% | IBU=40 | EBC=33 |

OG.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, BlackSands said:

First time having a go with one of those wine kits...   10L of concentrated juice...

Also interested to hear how this turns out. I mainly got into this brewing caper to produce some wine and so far have done mulberry, apple, pear, blueberry, apple/cherry, rhubarb, persimmon and mango but no red wine! What kit are you using Blacksands?

• Like 1

Just pitched my boh pils. OG 1.048, batch size 21 litres so those targets hit. 

I put the cube in the brew fridge last night about 10pm, so it had about 13 hours in there before I tipped it into the fermenter earlier. Pitching temperature about 9.5 degrees, set to ferment at 12. Will check SG on Friday to determine when to allow the temp to rise. 

I finally swapped the empty oxygen cylinder yesterday, so this batch was injected with oxygen for about 90 seconds before pitching the yeast. It'll be interesting to compare to the previous couple of batches of this beer done without oxygen. 

• Like 3