Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Berliner Weisse AG has gone well.  SG tonight is down to 1.011 from 1.034.  Sample has a reasonable taste of sour.  I was a bit surprised because there was no detectable sourness on brew day.

Very hazy.  Should I leave it that way or try finings and a cold crash?

Shamus mate I am by no means an expert on the Berliner Weisse but from the BW beer generally and a Weissbier perspective I would think you would not need to clarify this beer...

Just from a general knowledge thing of the BW from my beer slurping (not AG brewing) history...

And dirty old Wikipedia suggests same.... (whether it should be trusted?) 

I suspect there will be many better qualified and experienced brewers to provide advice... but those are my thoughts on the matter ; )

Berliner Weisse (German: Berliner Weiße) is a cloudy, sour beer of around 3% alcohol by volume. It is a regional variation of the wheat beer style from Northern Germany, dating back to at least the 16th century. It can be made from combinations of malted barley and wheat, with the stipulation that the malts are kilned at very low temperatures to minimise colour formation. The fermentation takes place with a mixture of yeast and lactic acid bacteria, a prerequisite that creates the lactic acid taste, a distinguishing feature of Berlin Weisse.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Very hazy.  Should I leave it that way or try finings and a cold crash?

Am thinking hazy is good from BW consumption memory... and here is a net-pic....  could not add it to my earlier post as the edit-allowed-time had timed out   :  (

🈴️

image.png.fd537cc4cce369defdd49641b104222d.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Am thinking hazy is good from BW consumption memory... and here is a net-pic....  could not add it to my earlier post as the edit-allowed-time had timed out   :  (

🈴️

image.png.fd537cc4cce369defdd49641b104222d.png

Mine looks a very similar colour in the sample tube.  Thanks for the research.  I will check the SG again on Saturday and if it is still the same I reckon I will bottle it up.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ozlizard said:

NEIPA is down to 1.014, same today so gave it a stir. Temp is sitting at 22. Smells good. Could be bottling this weekend!

Hey Lizzy, mate am going to check SG tomorrow - same - at 22 degC.  I have a split ferment... stirred the top FV... maybe I should stir the bottom one after all : )

It's just a bit harder to get the lid off 😋 but think I should do same.

Good luck with yours mate.  Am thinking bottling Sunday and might cold crash tomorrow depending upon the Gravity situation.

Cheers

BB

• Like 1

Question for any and all Brewmasters utilising Cold-Crashing for fines/particulate reduction and clearer beers... if you cold crash overnight say... is that good enough prior to bottling or should one leave in FV at low low low temps for a while to knock down the particulates as much as poss?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks im voraus i.e. in advance ; )

BB

48 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck with yours mate.  Am thinking bottling Sunday and might cold crash tomorrow depending upon the Gravity situation.

Cheers BB, hoping it drops another point or so but no worries if is doesn't, anything between 5-6% is ok by me. I often find that the gravity of the situation can be ameliorated by having a beer. Or two....

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Question for any and all Brewmasters utilising Cold-Crashing for fines/particulate reduction and clearer beers... if you cold crash overnight say... is that good enough prior to bottling or should one leave in FV at low low low temps for a while to knock down the particulates as much as poss?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks im voraus i.e. in advance ; )

BB

Hey BB. Overnight only and you would be lucky to drop any yeast. My cold crash depends on the yeast. Saisons and other belgians i cold crash for 2 days only as i want some yeast in the bottle. S04 like 3 days only as it drops like a stone. US05 and lager yeasts for a whole week.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Cheers BB, hoping it drops another point or so but no worries if is doesn't, anything between 5-6% is ok by me. I often find that the gravity of the situation can be ameliorated by having a beer. Or two....

Sounds good Lizzy - am with you there ; )

Further, encouraged by the earlier stirring discussions I did the deed and got in and gave bottom FV a stir with long handled sterile SS spoon... hopefully it will help the brew.... as it certainly did me a favour...

The Triple C aromas of late hop Cascade Centennial Citra were G for Gold!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey BB. Overnight only and you would be lucky to drop any yeast. My cold crash depends on the yeast. Saisons and other belgians i cold crash for 2 days only as i want some yeast in the bottle. S04 like 3 days only as it drops like a stone. US05 and lager yeasts for a whole week.

Beaut thanks Greeny.  Much appreciated. 

'Tis US05 in the main FV with IPA so reckon I am looking at brewing on the weekend (got a free FV) and leaving the IPA/Dampfbier (W3068) develop a little further to get it down a few more points maybe and cold-crash mid next week for bottling the following weekend.

I will look to pull out the dry hops tomorrow though as it seems 3 days is good - Mr Palmer - and longer may induce grassiness?

Anyone any advice on late hopping and avoiding the grassiness.... am at 22 deg C.... 

image.png.3c37741ded73df17c007e3c4b8cd518a.png

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

The Triple C aromas of late hop Cascade Centennial Citra were G for Gold!

I have a 3 c's pale ale on the go also. I have to say the aroma and flavour is pretty awesome. I open the fermentation fridge like 6 times a day just to smell it.  I realize now that I haven't used cascade enough.  Centennial, citra and cascade are amazing together, so far, I haven't tasted a carbed up version yet.

After this I will be revisiting some hops like Chinook, simcoe, and Columbus that I haven't used in a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have a 3 c's pale ale on the go also. I have to say the aroma and flavour is pretty awesome. I open the fermentation fridge like 6 times a day just to smell it.  I realize now that I haven't used cascade enough.  Centennial, citra and cascade are amazing together, so far, I haven't tasted a carbed up version yet.

After this I will be revisiting some hops like Chinook, simcoe, and Columbus that I haven't used in a while.

Gold Norris!  Good luck with the PA mate.

Yeah I like opening the FV Fridge too... though I think that since I got the advice to put in the dry hop fairly late (well after the big ferment fest is going on), that there is less CO2 and less aroma coming off with it... so hopefully more is being retained in the final beer ; )

CCC are pretty cool - am thinking whether I should try throwing in Galaxy as well some time in the future to make a CCCG?

Got a big fat bag of Mosaic in the freezer as well... which I have not yet had the chance to try...

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 5:47 PM, BlackSands said:

Pacific Gold

• 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 1kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 1kg GF Vienna Malt
  • 400g GF Wheat Malt
  • 15g Kohatu @ 10 min
  • 15g Pacifica @ 10 Min
  • 20g Kohatu @ 1 min
  • 20g Pacifica @ 1 min
  • 15g Pacifica (Dry Hop)
  • 15g Kohatu (Dry Hop)
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Nottingham Yeast

| ABV=4.3% | IBU=29 | EBC=8.5 |

First time my temp has landed under my intended pitching range!  Still, it's Nottingham so no worries!  

😎

Go Nottingham!  Already at FG=1.010, (actually 1 point below estimated) in just 3 days from pitch @16ºC.  Lag accounted for around 18 hours of that time so not bad going at all.  Fermented at 19ºC. I've now stepped the temp up a notch and if stable SG tomorrow will probably start CC'ing later in the evening.   

There's increased demand in the house at the moment with an extra drinker onboard for a few months so I need to get my production up, so this is a great help!   I'd ideally like to run two fermenters but my fridge is only big enough for one, so hopefully I can get away with another short CC on this one and get it bottled up in a few days time.  The last Notty brew I CC'd was chilled for only around 36hrs  -  it was pretty clear going into bottles while still ice cold and is now super bright in the glass at fridge temps. In total contrast however, the brew that followed, using Coopers A/L  kit blend took much longer clear up.    

• Like 1

So as no further feedback from any Master Brewers re my question above whether 3 days Dry Hopping is enough - I went with Palmer and pulled out the Dry Hop after three good days... A tale of two FVs...

Galaxy flowers in the Dampfbier… have managed to deflower that as best I could - and yes @Beerlust I did squeeze them out ; )  A few floaters remain... see how we go.

The CCC hop pellets came out in the hop tube after a bit of fishing about with the sterilised stainless steel long-tongs... and smelled great when out of the hop tube... just beautiful - a few drips tasted like there was something there.... was wondering whether I pulled them too early at day 3?  Anyone?

Anyway... will let things progress for a  couple more days at 22 deg C and then cold crash and bottle late next weekend.  

Cheers Brewers and have a great weekend.

image.thumb.png.aa13e902bb34a88cfa10108ab87dca2a.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So as no further feedback from any Master Brewers re my question above whether 3 days Dry Hopping is enough - I went with Palmer and pulled out the Dry Hop after three good days... A tale of two FVs...

Galaxy flowers in the Dampfbier… have managed to deflower that as best I could - and yes @Beerlust I did squeeze them out ; )  A few floaters remain... see how we go.

The CCC hop pellets came out in the hop tube after a bit of fishing about with the sterilised stainless steel long-tongs... and smelled great when out of the hop tube... just beautiful - a few drips tasted like there was something there.... was wondering whether I pulled them too early at day 3?  Anyone?

Anyway... will let things progress for a  couple more days at 22 deg C and then cold crash and bottle late next weekend.  

Cheers Brewers and have a great weekend.

image.thumb.png.aa13e902bb34a88cfa10108ab87dca2a.png

3 to 5 days is what I do, but I would say you got what you needed.

• Like 3

I am cold crashing my 3c's pale ale. I pitched about 250ml of US05 and Coopers ale/lager yeast blend I had, it was bubbling away 1 hour later, but that could've been due to a really good seal, pitched at 22c and brought it down to 18c ferment, it finished on Wednesday at 1.008, from Saturday 9pm pitch. I let it sit on the yeast cake to clean up and dry hop and now I think I will cold crash it for 6 days or until the keg blows.

It tastes good, really hoppy, so looking forward to the carbonated version.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Didn't see it 😂 but yeah three days should be long enough to get everything out of the dry hops.

Thanks Kelsey!  Just smelled that beautiful aroma when de-hopped and was wondering whether I had pulled out too early!? 

Anyway - sounds good.  Looking forward to the result.  And thanks re the Cold Crash - you and Greeny - will leave a week nice and cold!

Cheers

BB