Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Any of you good lot use a flamethrower like the below to heat brewing vessels... mash tuns - sparge water etc ?  i.e. am doing BIAB

I have a SS brewing vessel and a have used a 2200W electric element which is plumbed in through a hole... And have had a couple burn-on incidents... am wondering whether having the heat spread across the bottom of the vessel - even if I have to get a flame-tamer heat spreader/diffuser plate between the Gas Burner and the bottom of the SS Mash Tun/Boiler...  might avert the burn-on potential?

image.png.0180bd41fe813a7d51f7fc088bc70ff8.png And then such a device could double up for outside cookery... wokking up/outdoor curry?

5 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Group brewday at Left barrel brewing in the Adelaide hills organised by our local brewing club 

300 litre batch of amber ale for 15 of us to take home for cold side magic.

Mark your brew club sounds awesome. That is a great idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Mark your brew club sounds awesome. That is a great idea.

Indeed it is,  about 100 of us by now and despite the fact we come from broadly different backgrounds we all get along. 

What we share is a love of beer and fun times , we help each to make better beer 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’d like to find a Homebrew club. Just wouldn’t know where to start. 

Err, put an ad in the local rag, put a note on the local independent grocery store pin-up board, find a local Facebook community page & post something there. There's likely many others I've missed.

If you start it, you get to become the President/Chairman, or in your case "Captain". 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Indeed it is,  about 100 of us by now and despite the fact we come from broadly different backgrounds we all get along. 

What we share is a love of beer and fun times , we help each to make better beer 

I need to join the one where I am. I am thinking I am missing out on some fun, great conversations and improved brewing techniques. If I get 2 out of 3 it will be a win.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Err, put an ad in the local rag, put a note on the local independent grocery store pin-up board, find a local Facebook community page & post something there. There's likely many others I've missed.

If you start it, you get to become the President/Chairman, or in your case "Captain". 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ha ha ha find one Lusty, like an existing one. 

I dont use social media, well, except this forum. The LHBS is not people I want to spend time with away from my family.

might ask my wife to post something on the community FB page and see what comes back

On 10/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Any of you good lot use a flamethrower like the below to heat brewing vessels... mash tuns - sparge water etc ?  i.e. am doing BIAB

I have a SS brewing vessel and a have used a 2200W electric element which is plumbed in through a hole... And have had a couple burn-on incidents... am wondering whether having the heat spread across the bottom of the vessel - even if I have to get a flame-tamer heat spreader/diffuser plate between the Gas Burner and the bottom of the SS Mash Tun/Boiler...  might avert the burn-on potential?

image.png.0180bd41fe813a7d51f7fc088bc70ff8.png And then such a device could double up for outside cookery... wokking up/outdoor curry?

Hi BB,

I have one similar which I think is a keg king one it’s a beast, pretty good on gas as It’s running at the low end of it’s capacity as I start off with approx 33 litres. I use it in my garage so there is no wind but would be hesitant if you use it outside as it will blow out when boiling as it is barely going. My dad made me a stainless steel plate to go under the tap as it melted the plastic on the handle and possibly some of the o-ring but it’s not leaking. If you have more questions no worries 🍻 I originally bought a ring burner what a piece of rubbish just burnt too rich and made my pot black🤬 I took that back and nearly used half a bottle of gas for one batch

0500A133-1208-4ADF-8B3B-E85ACC8F8FDE.jpeg

9DF5E00B-AB97-4A80-849C-544705E41215.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:47 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

On 10/10/2019 at 9:47 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Hi BB, I use a triple ring gas burner with my keggle BIAB with no issues. Not sure how it compares with electric element time to reach temp but no burn on issues as you mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Brew day today. I haven’t posted many recipes recently so I figured I should start doing it again.

All Killer, No Chiller Pale Ale #1

4.75kg Gladfield American Ale malt

250g Gladfield Munich malt

10g Centennial @ 60 min

10g Mandarina Bavaria @ 5 minutes

20g Mandarina Bavaria- whirlpool

20g El Dorado - whirlpool

30g Mandarina Bavaria- Dry hop

30g El Dorado - Dry hop 

23 litres

OG - 1051

IBU - 35 (no chilled)

Mashed @ 64°

Yeast - Wyeast 1450 Denny’s Favourite 50

Should be a good summer beer.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm brewing my AG version of Neill's centenarillo ale today. Just about to squeeze out the grain bag then start bringing the wort to the boil. I'll post the recipe itself when I go to the computer to input some data into Beersmith. I've kept the hopping pretty close to the extract version with some small changes to the timings and increased the Centennial amount a bit. Grain bill was designed to try to mimic the two tins of pale extract used, just added some black malt to get it a little darker. No dextrose being used, achieving the target FG with the mash temp. 

• Like 2

Here's the recipe. Missed the pre-boil efficiency target by a couple of % but meh, it'll still make a nice brew. I hope 😂 Will ferment at 18C, 25 litre batch size based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Mashed at 67 degrees for 70 minutes before my usual rests at 72 and 78. Forgot to turn the urn off during the mash out and it got up to 85, so hopefully that doesn't bugger it up too much

Est Original Gravity: 1.0505 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0117 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 35.2 IBUs
Est Color: 13.5 EBC

36.00 L Brisbane Water (APA (Distilled Water)) Water 1 - -
8.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
5.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
4.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.95 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
4.800 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 90.2 % 3.13 L
0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 7 9.4 % 0.33 L
0.020 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 8 0.4 % 0.01 L
25.00 g Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 18.6 IBUs -
40.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 9.9 IBUs -
40.00 g Amarillo [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 11 6.8 IBUs -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 7

So I am doing the Kilowog Krush, I made slight adjustments, as I do with this recipe. I am going with galaxy in the dry hop over azacca and mosaic because I am hoping for a really punchy aroma that will, hopefully, compliment the flameout additions...hopefully. I also looked at the original recipe, it was actually all citra, galaxy, and Nelson sauvin, but as I drew away from galaxy I subbed in mosaic and azacca. Anyways, I want to try this and see how it comes out. I also added biscuit malt because, as it will be fair strength, at 1.049 OG, I wanted it to have some maltiness and body come through and complement the hops but not overpower. Hopefully just enough to know you are drinking a beer and not hop juice.

Screenshot_20191013-211319.jpg

Screenshot_20191013-211330.jpg

Screenshot_20191013-211343.jpg

• Like 4

Missed my OG by one point, ended up on 1.0494, but due to the lower than desired pre boil volume I cut the boil time by 13 minutes so I could still fill the cube, or at least fill it enough to not have to squeeze much air out. It'll go into the fermenter after the red ale is done, or maybe before it if I get the second brew fridge ready in time. Making up the shelf next weekend. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, RDT2 said:

Hi BB,

I have one similar which I think is a keg king one it’s a beast, pretty good on gas as It’s running at the low end of it’s capacity as I start off with approx 33 litres. I use it in my garage so there is no wind but would be hesitant if you use it outside as it will blow out when boiling as it is barely going. My dad made me a stainless steel plate to go under the tap as it melted the plastic on the handle and possibly some of the o-ring but it’s not leaking. If you have more questions no worries 🍻 I originally bought a ring burner what a piece of rubbish just burnt too rich and made my pot black🤬 I took that back and nearly used half a bottle of gas for one batch

Gold! Thanks for that RD

Good stuff... and thanks for the good detail on the photee… 

Pretty cool that yer Da could spruce you up a SS heat deflection plate - nice - hopefully your Dad enjoys your good brews too!

Really good helpful info - thanks mate!

BB

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, Hairy said:

Brew day today. I haven’t posted many recipes recently so I figured I should start doing it again.

All Killer, No Chiller Pale Ale #1

Is this an AG or a Partial Lusty?

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Hi BB, I use a triple ring gas burner with my keggle BIAB with no issues. Not sure how it compares with electric element time to reach temp but no burn on issues as you mentioned. 

Thanks mate!

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Here's the recipe. Missed the pre-boil efficiency target by a couple of % but meh, it'll still make a nice brew. I hope 😂 Will ferment at 18C, 25 litre batch size based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Mashed at 67 degrees for 70 minutes before my usual rests at 72 and 78. Forgot to turn the urn off during the mash out and it got up to 85, so hopefully that doesn't bugger it up too much

Soooooo Kelsey... I am learning about the Mash... 

Here you have completed the Mash... and then in the Mash Out …. why would going to 85 be a problem..

As you are going up to the Boil anyway?

And think that the brew book suggesting that Mash Out probably does not make much of a difference anyway....

Am keen to read your feedback : )

35 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Because the grains were still in there. High temperatures can extract astringency/tannins. Obviously once the grains are removed it doesn't matter but a mash out is done with them still there.?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh - right - I assumed the malted grains were gone...