Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Its coming up to Xmas so its time for me to put down some megaswill for the family for the party.

Doing a 20L concentrate batch which will be split into 2 and topped up. I usually do a New clone but have a heap of saaz to get through so am doing an asian lager instead.

One will be fermented with Budvar. The other Danish Lager. Should be about 4%ABV in the keg for each.

Screenshot_2019-10-17-11-42-19.png

Screenshot_2019-10-17-11-42-41.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ozlizard said:

@The Captain!! Good watering hole that! Must be time to get down that way and try a few more of their brews...

Off to Bunbury tomorrow to get some brewing stuff so will drop into Dans and see if they have any of Bostons.

Why yes it is. 

Have you popped into Mojos yet? They have some very good beers in their bottle shop part. 

Im off to Wild Hop on Saturday with the wife and kid. Can’t wait

15 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Have you popped into Mojos yet? They have some very good beers in their bottle shop part. 

No I haven't, might have a look tomorrow if I have time (drop the wife of at the train station for Perth at 2pm so anything is possible!). Wild Hop looks good, will check it out next time we are over that way. With keeping this thread somewhat on topic: Coopers ROTM Styrian Dragon Pale Ale in the bucket on Monday followed by yet another NEIPA (ingredients picked up tomorrow). I think I need another fermenter and some more bottles!

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Red Rye time.

C3791505-D6FD-4717-9035-1272D11CE14F.png

Hey Kapitan!

Looks like a cracking Brew

Just one quick question - the Carafa - you use it sparingly - I just got meself some for prolly Black IPA and Stout... 

to be used with Caution?

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey Kapitan!

Looks like a cracking Brew

Just one quick question - the Carafa - you use it sparingly - I just got meself some for prolly Black IPA and Stout... 

to be used with Caution?

It’s used for colour. Trying to get the red colour. Caraaroma and dark grains make red

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, The Captain!! said:

Red Rye time.

Hmmm, Captains????? I sense some thievery there.... 🏴‍☠️

Recipe: Kveik
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          80.0 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
60.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           3          29.6 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik (Omega #OYL-062)                      Yeast         5          -             -             

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Recipe: Victoria IPA (fridge cleaner)
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                     Name                                                           Type          #        %/IBU         
3.90 kg               Gladfield Ale Malt (3.9 EBC)                         Grain           1        70.9 %        
0.70 kg               Golden Promise Pale (3.9 EBC)                     Grain           2        12.7 %        
0.30 kg               Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)                                Grain            3        5.5 %         
0.10 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC)       Grain            4        1.8 %         
0.50 kg               Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)                        Dry Extract   5        9.1 %         
10.00 g               Simcoe [13.00 %] - FWH 60.0 min                Hop              6        14.4 IBUs     
300.00 g             Victoria [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool          Hop              7        42.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)           Yeast            8        -        

The Victoria % is an estimated based on what I have researched regarding the variety and the location we are growing them. I will also add another 150g of dried flowers once its cooled to 80c.

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, Ben 10 said:

Interested to know how this turns out. I have considered making one but have not. I have a kilo of carafa III

Benny - in a 23L batch for a Black IPA - how much Carafa III would you use?

Brew Day for a Black IPA of sorts... nice dark Carafa III grain... and some Pale and Schooner malt.. Black and White ; )

Trying the new Vat and SS Mesh Basket out and doing a pumping recirc of the Wort... a few teething issues but hopefully will work out ok.

The colour is darkening up over time... even though I did not have me cobber @PaddyBrew2 's suggested roasted barley and dark crystal...  ah well.... next time.

image.png.ec49b5bd7a932bcdf198fce98f2ead54.png

• Like 4

Hey there Brewing Legends!

Had a bit of a scary brew day with new gear... and am finishing now.... I take ssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo long... ah well.

But have got onto some internet music site thing and have had great music all afternoon including revisiting some 70s and 80s dance classics YEEEEHAAAA!

Anyway - got a Hop Question for you all:

Just a general question.... but for the IPA thing... black, gold or indifferent... what style of background bittering hops would one use earlier on in the boil?

Have done the recent CCC late hopping in my 1080 big IPA brew which is just starting to smell nice... Cascade Citra Centennial....  used some Ella and Cascade a bit earlier in that one.

But am just wondering whether there is some general rule for IPAs for bittering earlier on in the boil?

Guess this might be a 'how long is a piece of string' type question where it really depends upon what flavour profile one is chasing.... so apologies for a dumb question as they say in German... im voraus…   apologies before we even begin the discussion ; )

• Like 1

You need a good clean bittering hop like magnum or warrior.  I use magnum and find it does the job. Yer man beerlust has a grudge against it which I bought into without ever using it but when I switched to AG I started to use it and it does the job perfect 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

You need a good clean bittering hop like magnum or warrior.  I use magnum and find it does the job. Yer man beerlust has a grudge against it which I bought into without ever using it but when I switched to AG I started to use it and it does the job perfect 

Wooooohoooo…. sounds good Paddly!

I have got the Burbler Bodgy Black Brew boil done now and am doing the Super-Desert-Cool using the fan ; )

Shall check out the Magnum and Warrior for future brews!

Thanks mate.  BB

• Like 2