Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

11 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

tis a bit powdery alright. my crush is a bit on the fine side also from my LHBS but would only have half that dust you have.

i also have to scoop chit out pre-boil but i wouldnt fill a sieve like youve done there. 

I got about 20 scoops of grain out before I got bored of doing it

21 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I got about 20 scoops of grain out before I got bored of doing it

So by all that, do you still think it’s the grainfather? 
The connect thing should be ok, so if it’s not connecting it’s faulty, as said before under consumer law they have to replace/repair item. 
Mills are cheap insurance against those frustrations mate. 

Just now, The Captain!! said:

So by all that, do you still think it’s the grainfather? 
The connect thing should be ok, so if it’s not connecting it’s faulty, as said before under consumer law they have to replace/repair item. 
Mills are cheap insurance against those frustrations mate. 

It’s probably all my fault. I just have to blame something other than myself😂

• Haha 2

I have the original controller which means I have to press buttons like a peasant. At least it always works.

How is the grain getting into the boil? I get a few strays floating in mine but the amount I'm talking about is the size of a 20 piece if held in your hand. Does the top screen drop and tilt creating an opening?

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

My LHBS has run out of Citra. I guess the 2018 harvest is all used up and the 2019 harvest in not available yet. When it arrives I am going to make all Citra brew to celebrate. I have not made one of those in a long time; it is a great hop. Too bad it is so expensive. It is the second most expensive hop my LHBS carries, exceeded only by Amarillo. 

Same here price wise.  Two hops I really like but they're pretty much double the price of most local hops so, as much as I like them, I find myself not using them very often.  I've done a single-hop PA with Citra...   was nice in a one-dimensional kind of way during the first few weeks, but I did tire of it quickly and then the inevitable hop-fade thing happened.   🙄

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:41 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Personally I would use Cascade alone and be done with it. IMHO a black IPA should not be a tropical fruit bomb; grapefruit is okay though. Citra would probably be nice too.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hey there Christina and @Ben 10

Took your advice.... have gone one brew just with Cascade and Citra as discussed... managed to get some Citra travelling last weekend (not cheap)... the Northern American hop style I believe.

And the other one I did with antipodeans... I believe they are Aussie - Galaxy and Enigma....

Around 4-5g per L late hopping now in for 3 days at 18 deg C.

Then into the bottle with Coopers Carb Drops...  Blue arrow to barely visible hop sock... SS hop tube in the SS fermenter...  Yeeeeeehaaaa!

image.png.3eb7e6803a864003cc2450fbd17a05b0.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/17/2019 at 11:48 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Its coming up to Xmas so its time for me to put down some megaswill for the family for the party.

Doing a 20L concentrate batch which will be split into 2 and topped up. I usually do a New clone but have a heap of saaz to get through so am doing an asian lager instead.

One will be fermented with Budvar. The other Danish Lager. Should be about 4%ABV in the keg for each.

Screenshot_2019-10-17-11-42-19.png

Screenshot_2019-10-17-11-42-41.png

Took both fermenters out last Saturday for a natural rise for the d rest. Both were at 1015 at that stage. Checked this morning and the danish is at 1006 which is about where i expected with the rice input but the budvar is at 1000. What the? 

Tasted the sample and they both taste fine. The budvar though is very very dry. No idea why it has went this low. Diastaticus contaminated maybe???

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Tasted the sample and they both taste fine. The budvar though is very very dry. No idea why it has went this low. Diastaticus contaminated maybe???

Do you think it would have had time to work on the longer chain sugars in that time?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Do you think it would have had time to work on the longer chain sugars in that time?

Good point. Diastaticus is usually a slower process. 

Maybe its the budvar yeast as it is over 20 times reuse. I would have expected a flavour issue though.

Anyway I have a pilsener coming up so will try it in that and see how it goes. If i get an issue ill turf the yeast. 

• Like 1

Back To Roots NZPA

There's several NZ hops that seem to have either fallen into disfavour, are underrated, or have simply been overlooked, probably displaced by more recent new world varieties.   A search on Google reveals little mention about these hops in current usage though I know one of them at least is commonly used for bittering in NZ megaswills and also in the Blackrock Beer cans.  WAY back in the 80's I used to regularly brew with two of these, available then as dry cones.  So, I thought it might be fun to revisit these two hops, Green Bullet and Sticklebract and use another classic NZ hop, Dr Rudi for the first time:

• 1.8kg Muntons LME
  • 2.2.kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 300g GF Supernova Malt
  • 150g Sugar
  • 20g Green Bullet @ 30min
  • 20g Dr Rudi @ 20min
  • 20g Sticklebract @ 10 min
  • 10g Green Bullet FO
  • 10g Dr Rudi FO
  • 10g Sticklebract FO
  • 20g Green Bullet DH
  • 20g Dr Rudi DH
  • 20g Sticklebract DH
  • Nottingham Yeast

| ABV=5.4% | IBU=38 | EBC=15 |

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

IPA today

These are the hops going into a 22l batch

Kapitan, how do you administer your late hops into your brew.... e.g. hop-sock or chux or SS tube?

Or are these all 'on the hot side' and there is more to come ?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

4 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

DC8D8C17-A761-4B23-93CE-F81D4C552A52.png

And Herr Kapitan - what is the thing with the Wheat - Flaked - is this malted wheat flaked or ?  

Am wondering what difference flaked to milled?

Am a regular Wheat user - but have had issues with mashing wheat - protein rest - and generation of a lot of burn-on goo...

Am wondering whether flaked wheat might be a better option than milling?

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Kapitan, how do you administer your late hops into your brew.... e.g. hop-sock or chux or SS tube?

Or are these all 'on the hot side' and there is more to come ?

My late hops are steeped in hop socks. 
The steep for 10 mins are cube hops. 

41 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And Herr Kapitan - what is the thing with the Wheat - Flaked - is this malted wheat flaked or ?  

Am wondering what difference flaked to milled?

Am a regular Wheat user - but have had issues with mashing wheat - protein rest - and generation of a lot of burn-on goo...

Am wondering whether flaked wheat might be a better option than milling?

The wheat is raw unmalted wheat I got from the pet store. Flaked wheat is just the closest thing I could find in BeerSmith 

I don’t do other tests as the wheat is there for mouthfeel. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

My late hops are steeped in hop socks. 
The steep for 10 mins are cube hops. 

The wheat is raw unmalted wheat I got from the pet store. Flaked wheat is just the closest thing I could find in BeerSmith 

I don’t do other tests as the wheat is there for mouthfeel. 

Oki doki… so you are adding the wheat as is without any flaking or malting... interesting.

I have Barrett Burston malted wheat... reckon I might try doing a flake on them with my porridge oat-roller.... rather than crushing them - might help reduce the flour-gel burn on content... 

And cool re the hop socks - I have a SS tube and am worried am not getting the flow through in the Late Hop Stage and not getting the aroma out into the brew.

Have just now tried a Sock in a Black IPA so will see if that goes a bit better... 

If you add a swag of lovely hops you want to get the oils/aroma into the brew hey!

Cheers and thanks Cappo!

BB