Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey BB. I do a magnum for half the IBUs in an IPA most times. Its pretty clean. But dont be afraid to try things. I did a POR and perle bittering addition in an IPA once as well to clear some hops and it was a really good beer. 

Hey thanks Greeny!  Yeah this evening I did a bit of a 'clean-out' of the hop cool store... so I did do a 50g of noble including Perle… as my bittering hops...  and then dropped in Enigma on the flame-out.... will go hard on dry hopping with some Enigma, Mosaic and Cascade I think later in the day...  ; )    Yeeeeehhaaa!

Maybe I am a 'brewing free spirit" but am just loving the journey and all the input from festive Brewers like yerself!

Cheers 

BB

• Like 3

My beer is clearing, it won't be crystal clear, up in cold crash phase. It was done fermenter on day 4 so I left it for 2 more days, dry hopped it for another day and then will cold crash for 5 days, it is on day 2, just now. Tastes alright, looking forward to when it is carbonated.

I went with this blend hoping to accentuate the citrus and mango while picking up some faint blueberry, pineapple and whatever Nelson sauvin brings for a right fruity hazy ale but that was the plan, we will see what comes out.

Screenshot_20191020-222154.thumb.jpg.1e700f32509dd32344794e6c62b6c1e5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ROTM Styrian Dragon Pale Ale. Very easy this one and looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Just finished to hop steep and now it has to go into a cold water bath to cool it down, but cool it down to what temp?

Edited by ozlizard

I'm going to fight my way through the following tomorrow...

Recipe: Roggen....
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Roggenbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 32.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         1          50.8 %        1.96 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)     Grain         2          33.9 %        1.30 L        
0.75 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         3          12.7 %        0.49 L        
0.15 kg          Carafa III (Weyermann) (1034.2 EBC)              Grain         4          2.5 %         0.10 L        
30.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5          14.5 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        6          -             -             

Wyeast Forbidden Fruit slurry

• Like 6

A Hop Question/Request For Input For All Who Take Up the Challenge..  My Black IPA attempt is now in two FVs... new system saw generation of large volume now split across two FVs.  US05 Starter seeming to be relatively happy... the sealed SS unit is already generating that happy bubbling after being pitched this morning.

So I have done the bittering.  I was going to then DRY HOP the two different Vessels and floating the below match-up:

1. Enigma and Galaxy

2. Cascade and Mosaic

Any thoughts?

And yeah the half kilo of Carafa III has seemed to have had the right effect re colour (and the brew does smell very nice as well)

image.png.2c4c5a1a92ae05b61734531f1b0d37b4.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

A Hop Question/Request For Input For All Who Take Up the Challenge..  My Black IPA attempt is now in two FVs... new system saw generation of large volume now split across two FVs.  US05 Starter seeming to be relatively happy... the sealed SS unit is already generating that happy bubbling after being pitched this morning.

So I have done the bittering.  I was going to then DRY HOP the two different Vessels and floating the below match-up:

1. Enigma and Galaxy

2. Cascade and Mosaic

Any thoughts?

And yeah the half kilo of Carafa III has seemed to have had the right effect re colour (and the brew does smell very nice as well)

image.png.2c4c5a1a92ae05b61734531f1b0d37b4.png

Personally I would use Cascade alone and be done with it. IMHO a black IPA should not be a tropical fruit bomb; grapefruit is okay though. Citra would probably be nice too.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Personally I would use Cascade alone and be done with it. IMHO a black IPA should not be a tropical fruit bomb; grapefruit is okay though. Citra would probably be nice too.

Cheers,

Christina.

Thanks Christina!  

Rightio will do endeavour to do one vessel with Cascade alone... hopefully have got enough of that...  buggggger sadly run out of Citra... IF I am running low on the Cascade to make it up - which one of the EGM... Enigma Galaxy Mosaic could I top up with do you think without going too Fruity?  Would that be Galaxy maybe?

And then I might do a tropical fruit bomb in the other Vat as part of my overall learning experience ?  An EGM... Enigma Galaxy Mosaic experiment...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...  buggggger sadly run out of Citra.

My LHBS has run out of Citra. I guess the 2018 harvest is all used up and the 2019 harvest in not available yet. When it arrives I am going to make all Citra brew to celebrate. I have not made one of those in a long time; it is a great hop. Too bad it is so expensive. It is the second most expensive hop my LHBS carries, exceeded only by Amarillo. 

Good luck with your brews. Maybe the EGM experiment will turn out fab and you can tell me I was wrong. 😉

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

Another awful brew day. I regret getting a Grainfather and wish I just went down the no chill BIAB path. 
The positive things are I have wort that will turn into beer and it turned out crystal clear. I overshot my target OG by 3 points which isn’t a big deal

C3E53537-DCF5-4AC0-9E7E-99A4C5A7A322.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Another awful brew day. I regret getting a Grainfather and wish I just went down the no chill BIAB path. 
The positive things are I have wort that will turn into beer and it turned out crystal clear. I overshot my target OG by 3 points which isn’t a big deal

C3E53537-DCF5-4AC0-9E7E-99A4C5A7A322.jpeg

BB,

Why the awful brew day? It’s fairly disheartening to here that mate. Sorry, especially when the grainfather ain’t exactly the cheapest option around

9 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

BB,

Why the awful brew day? It’s fairly disheartening to here that mate. Sorry, especially when the grainfather ain’t exactly the cheapest option around

The Bluetooth controller wouldn’t connect to my phone. I have an ongoing battle with my online home brew store about the crush........I know I know I need to get my own grain mill. I had a ridiculous amount of grain in the boil kettle. My top plate drops heaps and no one can seem to diagnose the problem. 
I don’t enjoy my brew days anymore. 
F$&K F$&K F$&K

2CD55962-45FD-4D63-A329-B0DA7B85F3A6.jpeg

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

My LHBS has run out of Citra. I guess the 2018 harvest is all used up and the 2019 harvest in not available yet. When it arrives I am going to make all Citra brew to celebrate. I have not made one of those in a long time; it is a great hop. Too bad it is so expensive. It is the second most expensive hop my LHBS carries, exceeded only by Amarillo. 

Good luck with your brews. Maybe the EGM experiment will turn out fab and you can tell me I was wrong. 😉

Cheers,

Christina.

Hey Christina - I really value your input!  And your research into things... really cool!

I will definitely do a Cascade dominate IPA as one FV and then do a crazy EGM on the other... @Ben 10 was also backing the Cascade and a bit of Citra approach for the Black IPA... good stuff. 

I have never used Mosaic before so maybe I will be given a serious hop lesson?

Anyway... it is all a learning experience for me doing AG/First Principles stuff and besides having a nasty burn-on for one mega-fail, everything has turned out amazingly quite tashty!

Cheers,

BB

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

The Bluetooth controller wouldn’t connect to my phone. I have an ongoing battle with my online home brew store about the crush........I know I know I need to get my own grain mill. I had a ridiculous amount of grain in the boil kettle. My top plate drops heaps and no one can seem to diagnose the problem. 
F$&K F$&K F$&K

Wow BB1 - can you take it back and say pursuant to Australian Consumer Law this equipment is not fit-for-purpose as it is not delivering what has been expressed as the normal outcome?

I am not technology averse - used to write in Fortran77 (Wooooo I can hear everyone saying Wow that bloke is SSOOOO old) and am showing my age here... but when I went diving into the pure blue sea of AG... was concerned about all the electronics... and instead then went into big SS Vats and Inkbird controllers and elements and stuff... Ah dear

And yeah.... when I bought my first 40L SS Vat I bought the Mashmaster Minimill @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey recommended and had hugely good wrap and is made in Aus... and has been pretty good... and my albeit LHPBS was buying one for their MicroBrewery… so can recommend that. 

I have had my testing times w hard wheat stopping my drill on the mill and w big SS vats and controllers and elements... but  been mostly positive.

Just a few thoughts mate.

BB2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

F$&K F$&K F$&K

that a ridiculous amount of chit mate. Definitely too fine a crush. ive put a sink strainer over my overflow pipe thingy when im mashing and recircing and that catches all the gunk before it flows down

Just now, PaddyBrew2 said:

that a ridiculous amount of chit mate. Definitely too fine a crush. ive put a sink strainer over my overflow pipe thingy when im mashing and recircing and that catches all the gunk before it flows down

I use the sink strainer too. I guess it’s too fine