Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Bad Sheppherd Brewing Co - Peanut Butter Porter

Sweet vanilla aroma, with some chocolate in the background.

Tastes good, but not what I was expecting.  More like a bitter vanilla coke.  If I had not seen the can, I would not have picked it as peanut butter.  However, I can pick up some nut presence in the after-taste.  But I think that is because I am looking for it.

IMG_3260.JPG.ba8803f4e99f9e70bc860b2ba48521a4.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Tastes good, but not what I was expecting.  More like a bitter vanilla coke.  If I had not seen the can, I would not have picked it as peanut butter.  However, I can pick up some nut presence in the after-taste.  But I think that is because I am looking for it.

Unbelievable I bought a can of this about a week ago and found it in the fridge today! I had completely forgotten about it! I will be interested to see what it’s like after seeing your descriptors👍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I had a few a while ago, I quiet liked it. It's a great "Dessert Bier" on a special occasion. I did find an ingredient list, I think on their homepage. It does not contain peanuts, but Hazelnuts. 

• Like 4

I picked this and a few others up a few days ago.

I've a few Amber's on the go at the moment and wanted to see what a Commercial one was like.

Very unimpressed, poured flattish, gave it a splash with the last of the bottle, still nothing.

First taste was not good, almost poured it out, finished it but not happy with the taste.

(this could just be my taste preference, others may like it)

20221002_161258.thumb.jpg.4a1f47fdf349a8920bd3bb30fccbd9df.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I picked this and a few others up a few days ago.

I've a few Amber's on the go at the moment and wanted to see what a Commercial one was like.

Very unimpressed, poured flattish, gave it a splash with the last of the bottle, still nothing.

First taste was not good, almost poured it out, finished it but not happy with the taste.

(this could just be my taste preference, others may like it)

20221002_161258.thumb.jpg.4a1f47fdf349a8920bd3bb30fccbd9df.jpg

@DavidM FWIW my favourite of the Shepherd Neame line is the IPA, lovely ale in the English style.

• Like 3

Finally got my hands on some Coopers 2022 Vintage. I like it. Fruity aromas in the nose, fruity flavours, good sweetness and a lingering bitterness. I like it better than last year’s. Two went in the fridge, the remaining 4 will go into storage. Unless I get my hands on a carton of course. 

D2786AFA-526A-4061-9B28-E0FB35D196DF.thumb.jpeg.5fe1a3cf09c6a371c2d738e4436ab807.jpeg

• Like 11

Super Hornet DIPA by Black Hops Brewery. I don’t know what NATO hops are but man this is full on fruity aromas and flavours, before an onslaught of bitterness pulls your cheeks together and makes your tongue stick to your gums. Holy hell. And then there is the 8.7% ABV. For some strange reason, I like this beer. 

7D73F495-CA4F-4DC1-A02F-DD552B759FC4.thumb.jpeg.f3d2fca716f7c3c6e22b7056673767de.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Super Hornet DIPA by Black Hops Brewery. I don’t know what NATO hops are but man this is full on fruity aromas and flavours, before an onslaught of bitterness pulls your cheeks together and makes your tongue stick to your gums. Holy hell. And then there is the 8.7% ABV. For some strange reason, I like this beer. 

Sounds like everything I would like in a beer, I have tried a couple of theirs so I might check it out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

First I thought this is the odd one out, a can and not from Bavaria. But it absolutely has its place in the German Beer Pack. Beautiful brew, easy drinking. Worthwhile getting again.

5F62FBED-BDB6-401D-8F30-1565C63F6C9D.jpeg

I tried that one and absolutely loved it. Prime example of a great Kolsch.

• Like 3

India Pale Ale: Shepherd Neame & Co

Same as last nights, (scroll up a bit) poured flattish and even with a big splash, not much head.

Taste is Ok but no way I'm buying it again. Just wanted to try something different.

I've had very few commercial brews in the last 12 months, it's all been My home brew, good bad or Bloody beautiful.

(I'm sure I've spoilt my taste buds)

20221003_175548.thumb.jpg.311952931272f4bf98ea3f0aa5325ed1.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Same as last nights, (scroll up a bit) poured flattish and even with a big splash, not much head.

Taste is Ok but no way I'm buying it again. Just wanted to try something different.

I've had very few commercial brews in the last 12 months, it's all been My home brew, good bad or Bloody beautiful.

Sorry to hear that. English ales, for our Australian taste buds, are very different I guess. Out of interest what temperature did you taste it at?

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Never had an issue with a head on that beer. Probably the nicest IPA I've tasted. Traditional in my opinion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Sorry to hear that. English ales, for our Australian taste buds, are very different I guess. Out of interest what temperature did you taste it at?

Poured at around 4deg, let it sit, outside as I drank.

As I said, it may just be my taste!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Poured at around 4deg, let it sit, outside as I drank.

As I said, it may just be my taste!

I think it is David, I notice the difference, but I seem to be able to tolerate different beer tastes, I gave my neighbour a Butcher Glass of the Kentish Strong Ale & he struggled with it & I know for sure the guys in our lunch group would all be the same. Strange really because if I gave some to a couple of other mates that brew it would be different. 

QUOTE:
What temperature should beer be served in the UK?
Imperial stouts and brown ale are packed with rich ingredients and are popular beers in England. So, it’s no surprise that England has forever been associated with drinking warm beer. Stouts, old ales and dark ales are ideally served between 12 - 15 degrees celsius.