Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Last one of the Sheperd Neame Kentish Strong Ale   500ml   6.5% ABV

The more I think about it for $20.00 x 4 pack - members price at Dan Murphy's is quite a good buy & the bottles can be re-used.

I might shout myself a pack for the long weekend 🥳

Have many of you tried this apart from Stquinta ?

20220929_165530.thumb.jpg.922d24d0401834f60661745dd568b4f3.jpg

Nearly got one today, maybe next time. With Sydney weather being atrocious I went for the dark ones. My god this one is bitter, not sure about it 

34480D60-9243-4437-9618-AD1AEA175125.jpeg

• Like 4

I just pinched one of the cans my neighbour brings over but never gets around to opening, he usually ends up with a neckful of beers out of the tap & I am always opening bottles of something, so I figure he won't miss it 🤭 too bad if he does 🤣

There is a distinct difference in the new look label design & I think it looks great.

Oh, the beer is not bad either. 👍

20220930_145503.jpg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

lovely Pilsner, disappeared

Maaate - beer made in Franken - beautiful @Hilltop hops HH luvyerwork!

But don't tell @Aussiekraut I said this - he only believes that beer from Niederbayern and Oberbayern is any good... 

(they are all different parts of Bavaria 😆 and yeah there is plenty rivalry...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

All three are well made beers, but one was far too sweet, one far too bitter and one I really enjoyed. Have a guess. 

@Brauhaus Fritz BF mate I am going

Hook Norton...  Porter...  sweetness from the caramel malts?  And I sorta think the poms are more into that malty thing and not afraid if a little bit sweeter?  Hook Norton Brewery...  classic old pommy Brewery - vaguely remember imbibing some Old Hooky at some pub in the Midlands - but back then I really was a bit of a failure in appreciating English Beer...  

Kozel Czech...  Ripper:  I did drink some black beer in Prague a long time ago and ate some good solid tucker in some downstairs cellar type Wirtschaft and I remember the beer being good...  balanced, süffig and when I was there, remarkably priced, well... especially if you changed your westy currency on the street and not with the State run Bank 😉

So that leaves Bitterness to poor old Barock? 🤔

But I have been completely wrong many times before.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just pinched one of the cans my neighbour brings over but never gets around to opening, he usually ends up with a neckful of beers out of the tap & I am always opening bottles of something, so I figure he won't miss it 🤭 too bad if he does 🤣

There is a distinct difference in the new look label design & I think it looks great.

Oh, the beer is not bad either. 👍

20220930_145503.jpg

I feel like this is our equivalent of the pale ale. Also green tin. Cheers

IMG_20220903_113144.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I would have gone the same guesses as Phil, so I'm out.

9 hours ago, Pezzza said:

@Brauhaus Fritz BF mate I am going

Hook Norton...  Porter...  sweetness from the caramel malts?  And I sorta think the poms are more into that malty thing and not afraid if a little bit sweeter?  Hook Norton Brewery...  classic old pommy Brewery - vaguely remember imbibing some Old Hooky at some pub in the Midlands - but back then I really was a bit of a failure in appreciating English Beer...  

Kozel Czech...  Ripper:  I did drink some black beer in Prague a long time ago and ate some good solid tucker in some downstairs cellar type Wirtschaft and I remember the beer being good...  balanced, süffig and when I was there, remarkably priced, well... especially if you changed your westy currency on the street and not with the State run Bank 😉

So that leaves Bitterness to poor old Barock? 🤔

But I have been completely wrong many times before.

11 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I'll take a stab & say the Porter was best, the Kozel to bitter & the Kloster too sweet.

I know that everyone has different taste buds and preferences so my judgement is only what I experienced in that particular moment of time, ha,ha. Maybe the order I drank them in had its role as well. My favorite was the Weltenburger Kloster, another well balanced Beer from Bavaria. It was part of my German Beer Pack from the Cartel and deserved its place next to Schneider, Weihenstephan and Maisel's. The next day was perfect Dark Beer weather and I had the Twelve Days Original Porter, which for me was far too bitter. Expecting a smooth sweet malty beer (it wasn't sweet at all) the harsh bitterness was overpowering, not a bitterness from hops but a taste of burned coffee/over roasted grains, pity, with a bit softer taste it would be a great beer. Then I got exited to try something from the other side of the Fichtel Mountains. Driving as a kid from Berlin to the North of Bavaria (Franconia) I was always exited to see the sign for the turnoff to Praha (Prag) on the East German Autobahn, the mystery place behind the Iron Curtain. My god was it sweet, it reminded me of Malz Bier (non alcoholic malt beer we drank as kids in the past). Maybe I have to try the last two in reverse order.     Speaking of Bavaria, I gonna watch now Bayern München vs. Leverkusen. Love my Bundesliga

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Maaate - beer made in Franken - beautiful @Hilltop hops HH luvyerwork!

But don't tell @Aussiekraut I said this - he only believes that beer from Niederbayern and Oberbayern is any good... 

(they are all different parts of Bavaria 😆 and yeah there is plenty rivalry...)

No no no. I just say only upper and lower Bavaria are actually Bavaria 🙂 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pints said:

I feel like this is our equivalent of the pale ale. Also green tin. Cheers

I had a look on their website, it sounds like from the description the hops used could be Galaxy or Citra or even Mosaic. Coopers use Pride of Ringwood in their commercial Pale Ale.

They have a good range of beers, is it on tap in many Hotels ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I had a look on their website, it sounds like from the description the hops used could be Galaxy or Citra or even Mosaic. Coopers use Pride of Ringwood in their commercial Pale Ale.

They have a good range of beers, is it on tap in many Hotels ?

Hey Philter,  yes its a popular craft brand here, been going for quite some years. The pale ale is 4 % very fruity amd easy sipping. They have a lager, IPA, etc too. Their beers are found at most good establishments on tap. 

I actually sent them a message once, they use American as well as South African hops

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

exceptional value from Uncle Dan's 6 x 500ml Cans 4.7% ABV for $20.00 member's price. 

Before I started brewing again I slurped a few of these... they used to be like $47 for a carton of 24x500... guess that is a while ago now 😬

I found a German Durry Butt packed in underneath the cans one time...  the Brewery Canning Packaging Crew musta thought us aussies needed educating in their brands of filthy durries? 😆

They are not my fave but they are a good honest Reinheitsgebot Beer 👍

• Like 4

Spotted the Shepherd Neame Kentish Strong Ale at Dans so grabbed a couple.

It does not disappoint. Deep copper hue, fruity on the nose and perfectly carbonated. Quite a malty backbone to this ale with slight biscuity taste. Good bitterness that complements the fruity taste. Excellent drop, tossing up which is better between Shepherd Neame's IPA and this Strong Kentish Ale they are both great, but for me possibly the IPA has the edge.

2089e.png

• Like 7

On 10/1/2022 at 2:46 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

In keeping with the German Beer postings of late I thought I had better contribute with an Oettinger Pils, this really is a nice beer & exceptional value from Uncle Dan's 6 x 500ml Cans 4.7% ABV for $20.00 member's price. 

prost genießen Sie Ihr Bier

20221001_142922.thumb.jpg.a86a1a24a7c73a8194a6aed7e9a57159.jpg

All these German beer posts made me drop by Dans. Lovely beer and colour. 

20221002_155349.jpg

• Like 6