Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vaguely remember PB2 making a comment somewhere along the lines of it being beneficial having some simple sugars in the brew wort as being helpful to yeast. I had a quick look through some old posts in an effort to find it but could not. pouty

I did however find this unrelated piece of material...

...Only Brew Enhancer 1 and 2 are available. We are yet to release a Brew Enhancer 3 for sale…I have a blend in mind but I am yet to get the green light from the marketing department.

Congratulations on finally getting the BE3 put into production Paul. It only took 12 years! tongue

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Roll on BE4, hey Lusty?! lol

Yeah' date=' I guess what I'd like confirmed is that the raw sugar doesn't actually "help" the yeast in some way, rather it just increases the proportion of alcohol thereby lowering the FG.[/quote'] It will help to lower the AE (Apparent Extract), which us homies get an indication of by taking a Specific Gravity reading.

An indication of your raw sugar helping the yeast would see the RE (Real Extract) figure being lower. My guess, without doing a stack of ferment tests, would be that a judicious addition of sucrose neither helps or hinders the yeast. Next time I see our resident Dr. Yeast, I'll ask him the question. sideways

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

It's day 5 and I was about to dry hop my ESVA ROTM , as I'd normally do at this time ( then leave for a few days before cold crashing) ..... but glanced at the recipe instructions that came with it and it says to dry hop on day 7 and expect it to take 10 days to ferment. That's a lot longer than usual - I assume due to the 3 lots of yeasts and size of fermentables in there, but I'm going away next weekend for a week and want to bottle it before I go and need a few days to 'CC' - so should I just chuck em in now and 'CC' early next week as I planned?

Which raises a question I've always been curious about - does cold crash have an effect on dry hopping or can you do them at the same time?

Cheers

Chris

G'day Chris' date='

What I would do with this one is dry hop just before you go and cold crash as soon as you get back. That would give you a touch over 3 weeks in the fermenter and since this is a bigger beer a bit more time could be a good thing.

Cheers,

John[/quote']

Thanks John,

I don't go away until the 25 th Sept - so that'd be 2 weeks then a week dry hopped and a week cold crash - so 4 weeks all up.... oops, no hold on ????.. can't count, yep 3 weeks if I bottle as soon as get back. Cool - I'll do that, no point in rushing it

cheers

I tasted my ESVA last night and I simply blown away by good it tasted. I had made the Bockanator but it was contaminated so I had to tip out.

I'm a novice so I was amazed how good the ESVA smelled and tasted. It smelled great when I bottled but simply amazing after three weeks in the bottle. I know it's meant to get better with age. I think I'll start adding hops and grains to my brews from now on rather than just the kits.

P.S

I love your videos Kingrad, keep up the great work. Very informative and humour as well.

Im still way behind on mine ...

head off for a week on Sunday so will Cold Crash just before I leave and bottle when I return - so its going to be at least another 2-3 weeks before I can sample it sad

cant wait after the previous reports!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually had trouble accessing the store once I got on the Coopers website. Luckily for me the great staff at Coopers placed my order via phone. I believe I bought the second last ROTM at about 1pm. I'm looking forward to making this one

Archived