Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

9 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Oh, I'm not above brewing the odd extract batch here and there. It takes a fraction of the time and adds some variety to the YouTube channel at least.

Only taking the piss Ruddy, I just remember you saying you were now probably one of those all grain snobs. 

I love your you tube channel mate and always watch your clips. Keep up the good work. You are one of the reasons I actually got off my ass and got into all grain. So Thank you. 

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's definitely a notable shift malt flavour-wise for the DIY Vintage Ale this year. I assume this reflects the commercial version of this year? ?

Anyways, the DIY 2018 malt base is very similar to the Coopers DIY recipe: Celebration Ale with just the 300gms of crystal malt & an extra 500gms of dextrose used in the Vintage Ale recipe.

I brewed the DIY Celebration Ale recipe back when it used the old Thomas Coopers Draught kit as the base in conjunction with the amber malt extract & it produced a super beer that I thoroughly enjoyed. I haven't brewed this recipe with the newish Bootmaker kit but have thought it would work well in with the amber malt extract.

Hopefully this "big brother" Celebration Ale hits all the right marks. I'll be interested to read peoples thoughts of this years recipe down the track.

Cheers,

Lusty.

quick question on the yeast, it says ROTM Pack includes :

1 x Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture &/or Brew Can Yeast

I recall previous ESVA's use US 05. Do we actually get a commercial yeast culture or are we expected to harvest ourselves from the trusty six pack method ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, normally there would be a reasonable length lagering period after fermentation. It's probably based on an assumption that a brew fridge isn't being used for the fermenter, but there's nothing stopping you from lagering the bottles once carbonation is done. 

However, if a decent amount of yeast is pitched, which it should be (and is for this recipe), then fermentation doesn't take all that much longer than an ale. My lagers are fermented at 10 degrees and usually finish inside 10 days. 

Cheers for the info Otto! Regarding lagering the bottles,  do you mean at cold temps in the fridge (say 0c or so) ? I have another lager recipe that's already in the bottle and not sure if they will be better at ambient temps, or in the fridge to mature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 11:23 AM, Beerlust said:

I've thought about doing this a few times over the last few years, but it then becomes a very, very expensive exercise ($80+ batch).

Cheers,

Lusty.

Planning to do exactly this, but it costs half that if you just buy the cans and use a light malt can. I don't have Citra so I'll use Vic Secret instead.

30 minutes ago, PaulW31 said:

Planning to do exactly this, but it costs half that if you just buy the cans and use a light malt can. I don't have Citra so I'll use Vic Secret instead.

It's a little different with the ROTM's that have quite a few extra ingredients, but agree you may be able to save a little with some separate 'bulkier' purchases. There is a freight cost if doing smaller $$ orders that would negate any savings. Where I am located, the local haunt brew shops do not stock the craft series cans, so if I wanted to brew them I'd have to purchase them online via the Coopers store. 😉

If they are out there in retail SA, I certainly don't know where to purchase them from.

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, PaulW31 said:

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

It's a little different with the ROTM's that have quite a few extra ingredients, but agree you may be able to save a little with some separate 'bulkier' purchases. There is a freight cost if doing smaller $$ orders that would negate any savings. Where I am located, the local haunt brew shops do not stock the craft series cans, so if I wanted to brew them I'd have to purchase them online via the Coopers store. 😉

PW - I have done the same before.  For example if the main ROTM is a ripper (and good value with extra ingredients, as Lusty describes), I will order it as a full blown ROTM pack.  However, if the Craft ROTM at the same time is not such great value, I have ordered the Mr Beer cans from Coopers in the same order.  Coopers usually has free delivery for orders over $80 at the time of the ROTM's.  

Sooo combine a large ROTM, couple of Mr Beer cans, Malt Extract pouches and maybe a 1.7kg can of another Coopers and my order is free delivery.  Get the other bits and bobs for the Craft recipe from local brew shop or on-line and I think it is win-win.

Cheers Shamus

• 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered the current ROTM "Enterprise Lager". Interesting similarities to a brew I'm developing & sounds really nice. I'll probably learn quite a bit from brewing it.

Cool spiel on the beer recipe too. 😆

You got me again Coopers! 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived