Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay Coopers why hasn't the Smooth Bockenator hipster bot got a beard!!!!bandit

silly Magnaman! A cyborg from the future can't grow a beard! "My CPU is a neuronet processor, a learning computer." Unfort the computer cannot learn to grow a beard

• 3 weeks later...

Devil's Brew Porter

I've just lifted a lid off my first ROTM Devil's Brew Porter. Its only 5 weeks in the bottle and a one word description..... "FANTASTIC". I don't know what words I could use when this gets to a few months of age. I can taste chocolate and coffee....yummy. Its really rich. A bottle of this is like having a pound of fruit cake with a bar of chocolate.

You would think the person doing the sales forecast for the Factory would have upped the forecast by now wouldn't you seeing as it stays in stock for days only..

Well at least you can still download the recipe and buy the ingredients elsewhere. Might be wrong but I don't think any of the ingredients would be that hard to source.

Anyway, the grains for my Bockenator are steeping, so will put this one down tomorrow. Looking forward to it but will have to wait at least two weeks before I can taste one.

And Morrie, what you said makes me want to source the makings for that Devils Brew Porter. I love porters so this one sounds great.

Phoenix76

The Devil's Brew is the first Porter I've ever had in my life. I've drank plenty of commercial Guiness and Coopers Best Extra Stout and have even tried Hobgoblin Ruby Ale. I dunno if I'm being biased here because I've brewed this but in my simple opinion this Porter beats all of the other commercial brews I've just mentioned. I couldn't get over how good it was for an extract / kit based recipe. I think it will most likely be on the agenda prior to winter every year from now on. I may look into an all grain version but if you only did the Coopers recipe you would be more than happy.

Morrie, I love Porters, and Stouts, anytime of the year. They're not just a winter drink for me.

I've brewed the Devil's Half Ruby Porter, which is only the kit plus some light dry malt, but mate, like your feelings for the Devils Brew, I thought it was outstanding.

Last time I was brewing, some years ago, I made a stout that, IMHO, that would put Guiness to shame. That's the thing with home brewing, you can some marvelous things if you want to have a go. The stout I made could probably be compared to the craft beers that Coopers promote. It was half volume to normal, and mate it was divine.

That said, I've downloaded the recipe for Devils Brew Porter and it's on my brew list. Cheers

Devil's Brew Porter

I've just lifted a lid off my first ROTM Devil's Brew Porter. Its only 5 weeks in the bottle and a one word description..... "FANTASTIC". I don't know what words I could use when this gets to a few months of age. I can taste chocolate and coffee....yummy. Its really rich. A bottle of this is like having a pound of fruit cake with a bar of chocolate.

plus one for this . mine is awesome.... bring on the warmer months to brew next winters batch

A bit off topic here...but I still have a few bottles of Coopers Bootmaker that is over 3 months of age which I whacked with some late additions of amarillo and cascade as well as some crystal malt steeped. Plus 1.5kg of wheat LME which I believe is 25% actual wheat malt. Also 0.5 kg of DME. I think it was Scotty that suggested I try out a wheat LME. This drop is now drinking fantastic. Great body, head retention and mouth feel along with great flavour. A really nice cold weather beer.

I find Guinness Extra Stout a far better beer than the nitro poured dry stout you most often find in pubs. How it compares to that Devil's Porter recipe I don't know as I've never brewed it, but yeah, as for Guinness I much prefer the bottled Extra Stout than the 'draught' version.

The Devils Brew is the only Porter I have ever consumed and my take on it was less hopped and less bittered than a stout. Also a more malty backbone than any of the stouts I've had. Its been a long while since I've had Guiness now I prefer Coopers Best Extra stout.

I suspect the difference lies more in the lack of roasted barley in porters, these days anyway. This probably makes them appear less bitter as well.

Porter was the original style, stouts didn't exist. Then they started creating "stout porters" which I can only assume were a stronger version, both in ABV and flavour, of porters. At some stage I guess it got shortened to stout.

Now, the ABV levels vary wildly across both styles. The main difference is the flavour - stouts generally (putting aside the sweet, milk and whatever stouts) are a lot more roasty and seem more bitter than porters. They may be hopped more, but it's probably partly due to the roasted barley imparting some perceived bitterness as well.

I've currently got an AG stout on tap, which is coming along nicely after some time in the keg. I'll have another glass of it tonight, but it's better than Guinness Extra or Coopers to me. I'm most likely biased because I brewed it though. lollol

Cheers

Kelsey

Morrie/Josho

Agree - the Devils Porter recipe was great...I have only a few bottles left and is one of the best dark beers Ive brewed....nice and rich. If you like that then I would also recommend the Robo-Choc Recipe - its EB kit based but with lots of choc malt grains and came out similar but just a bit more roasty.

KR - I reckon this ROTM for the ESVA looks like quite good value. I haven't bought an ROTM for a while as Ive found I can usually buy the ingredients at my LHBS for the same price or slightly less, but at first glance I reckon this would be $10 cheaper then I could get it (even getting the kits at the supermarket where they are the cheapest), also I know my LHBS doesn't stock Melba Hops (or maybe even Northern Brewer)

Morrie/Josho

Agree - the Devils Porter recipe was great...I have only a few bottles left and is one of the best dark beers Ive brewed....nice and rich. If you like that then I would also recommend the Robo-Choc Recipe - its EB kit based but with lots of choc malt grains and came out similar but just a bit more roasty.

also have a few bottles left... about to brew next years.... just finished ordering all the bits for the devils porter along with everything for the stix river pale ale and the ESVA

Hi MikeC.

I just got the ESVA ROTM. I think this is really good value.

Moved to AG brewing but could not pass on this one. What do you all think?

I couldn't agree more. smile

I've brewed the DIY ESVA a couple of times now & it's a terrific beer.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Yep, couldn't resist it - just ordered mine. First ROTM for a long time .....but I've eyed up the recipe so many times and never actually made it so this'll be a first. Read several positive endorsements of it on here - including Sir Lusty's above, wink so hopefully come out well and might be my first opportunity for a first taste test against a commercial beer. pouty

Clearly going to last a while at that ABVtongue

Hey Folks

just noticed something - was looking at the recipe details for this brew and it mentioned 2 carb drops per bottle....but only use 1 if intending to age for a while.

Could this explain why some brews I have had sitting in the garage for 6 months have turned out to be 'frothies' when opened when they weren't when consumed earlier? - if so, why? - I don't understand this. It has only happened to some brews - others have been fine when left for a while, and even then it can be bottle by bottle.

Anyone else experienced this?

Archived