Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

Very disappointed with the offerings out today.

The pacific Summer Ale was offered only recently and The Hoff doesn't interest me.

Brew something else? Hell' date=' I'm not interested in any of the ROTMs because I don't use kits anymore but it doesn't stop me from brewing and posting here. Some of them sound quite nice but I have a psychological problem that prevents me from going back to kits... [img']tongue[/img]lol

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheer up Dr Ralph' date=' life isn't all that bad. After your last few posts I think you are due for some positive ones.

Tip: you can buy ingredients separately and make whatever beer you want [/quote']

+1

The pacific Summer Ale was offered only recently and The Hoff doesn't interest me.

Brew something else? Hell' date=' I'm not interested in any of the ROTMs because I don't use kits anymore but it doesn't stop me from brewing and posting here. Some of them sound quite nice but I have a psychological problem that prevents me from going back to kits... [img']tongue[/img]lol

With the ROTM, you shouldn't always expect a brand new recipe to brew each & every month. There is quite a sizeable catalogue of great recipes over many styles of beer already listed in the Coopers DIY Recipe bank. And for that reason, occasionally recipes already listed in the DIY bank will be offered as ROTM's.

I personally am all for many of the current DIY recipes being highlighted & refreshed once in a while through the ROTM offerings. cool Continually expecting a re-invention of the wheel every month is probably expecting a bit much I reckon.

Fair enough if you're not interested in a particular months ROTM, that will happen from time to time as we all like different things. However, if you can't find something in the DIY database to brew instead, then I'd suggest you're pretty hard to please. pouty

From memory there was a lot of interest in the Pacific Summer Ale ROTM the first time around to the point where some missed out on the ROTM pack. Oddly enough it's still very warm here in AUS, so why not offer the pack again, particularly for those that missed out the first time around?

On top of that, even PB2 needs a holiday once in a while. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheer up Dr Ralph' date=' life isn't all that bad. After your last few posts I think you are due for some positive ones.

Tip: you can buy ingredients separately and make whatever beer you want [/quote']

+1

With the ROTM, you shouldn't always expect a brand new recipe to brew each & every month. There is quite a sizeable catalogue of great recipes over many styles of beer already listed in the Coopers DIY Recipe bank. And for that reason, occasionally recipes already listed in the DIY bank will be offered as ROTM's.

I personally am all for many of the current DIY recipes being highlighted & refreshed once in a while through the ROTM offerings. cool Continually expecting a re-invention of the wheel every month is probably expecting a bit much I reckon.

Fair enough if you're not interested in a particular months ROTM, that will happen from time to time as we all like different things. However, if you can't find something in the DIY database to brew instead, then I'd suggest you're pretty hard to please. pouty

From memory there was a lot of interest in the Pacific Summer Ale ROTM the first time around to the point where some missed out on the ROTM pack. Oddly enough it's still very warm here in AUS, so why not offer the pack again, particularly for those that missed out the first time around?

On top of that, even PB2 needs a holiday once in a while. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

+1

I missed out on the Pacific Summer Ale ROTM last time around, so I was glad to see it back, & get the opportunity to give it a try; so I just bought a pack whilst it's available.

The previous ROTM looked good too, but was a little out of my price range; though I may look at replicating something similar with ingredients from the LHBS.

Perfect timing for a repeat run of the Pac Summer Ale for me. We have a neighbourhood BBQ coming up shortly and I was looking for a bit of a "churn & burn" recipe that would appeal to a "wide range of tastes" and wouldn't hit the hip pocket too hard.

I plan to brew, keg and have everyone consume said brew quite quickly.

Wow. No offence to Coopers + team but 'The Hoff' craft recipe kit looks really over priced.

Fair enough that postage is included/free but $37 for 1 kg liquid malt' date=' 25g hops, a yeast sachet & carb drops seems quite high to me.

Maybe it is a misprint....?[/quote']

I was thinking the same. Probably valued at no more than $25.

Wow. No offence to Coopers + team but 'The Hoff' craft recipe kit looks really over priced.

Fair enough that postage is included/free but $37 for 1 kg liquid malt' date=' 25g hops, a yeast sachet & carb drops seems quite high to me.

Maybe it is a misprint....?[/quote']

I was thinking the same. Probably valued at no more than $25.

Most of the craft beer range is more expensive than the normal range. Even things like carbonation drops. In the Coopers store they are:

- Mr Beer Carb Drops - $3.10 for 72g

- Coopers Carb Drops - $4.00 for 250g

I know which ones I would buy.

Has anyone made the Pacific Summer Ale from the December release yet? Just curious how it turned out?

As some of the other guys had stated on here back in December, I'm a bit sceptical about whether the Windsor yeast might strip the hop flavour a bit too much for this style of brew?

It sounds like it's basically a clone of, or at least in the style of Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, which I believe is fermented with US-05 yeast. So the Windsor is an interesting choice. Personally I think an American ale yeast would suit the recipe better, but maybe that's why I'm not in charge of devising Coopers ROTMs. tongue

Has anyone made the Pacific Summer Ale from the December release yet? Just curious how it turned out?

As some of the other guys had stated on here back in December' date=' I'm a bit sceptical about whether the Windsor yeast might strip the hop flavour a bit too much for this style of brew?[/quote']

I didn't think Windsor was a hop stripper; that tends to be more the characteristic of Notto.

Perhaps the recipe is designed to have lower attenuation than a beer fermented with US-05. If you ferment Windsor at the cooler end of the range then you should reduce the esters too.

I'm surprised no one has given any feedback on this recipe yet. I am interested to see how they found using Windsor. I like Windsor.

It sounds like it's basically a clone of' date=' or at least in the style of Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, which I believe is fermented with US-05 yeast. So the Windsor is an interesting choice. Personally I think an American ale yeast would suit the recipe better, but maybe that's why I'm not in charge of devising Coopers ROTMs. [img']tongue[/img]

Good point.

I'm expecting my ROTM pack to arrive on Monday, but was thinking along the same lines.

I'm planning a trip to the LHBS in the next few days to get some Canadian Blonde to make up some Blushing Blonde for SWMBO, so I'll likely get some US - 05 while I'm there for the ROTM kit.

An extra spend of under $5 is worth it to get a superior result from a reasonable good brew.

It sounds like it's basically a clone of' date=' or at least in the style of Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, which I believe is fermented with US-05 yeast. So the Windsor is an interesting choice. Personally I think an American ale yeast would suit the recipe better, but maybe that's why I'm not in charge of devising Coopers ROTMs. [img']tongue[/img]

Good point.

I'm expecting my ROTM pack to arrive on Monday, but was thinking along the same lines.

I'm planning a trip to the LHBS in the next few days to get some Canadian Blonde to make up some Blushing Blonde for SWMBO, so I'll likely get some US - 05 while I'm there for the ROTM kit.

An extra spend of under $5 is worth it to get a superior result from a reasonable good brew.

I'm not sure "a superior result" is the way I'd look at it. Why not broaden your horizons & try the Windsor Zaphod? The beer recipe is aimed at having an English Pale Ale slant, so why not give it a go as is?

Hairy gives Windsor the 'thumbs up', & that would be good enough for me to try it.

That also gives you someone else to blame if something goes amiss! Hairy has put his hand up to be that person, so why not take advantage of that?! tonguelol

Don't wait for a world-wide shortage of US-05, before giving something new a try. Who knows, the yeast might really agree with you, but you'll never know if you don't give it a go. wink

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Hairy gives Windsor the ‘thumbs up’' date=' & that would be good enough for me to try it.

That also gives you someone else to blame if something goes amiss! Hairy has put his hand up to be that person, so why not take advantage of that?!

[/quote']

Hairy guarantees that Windsor won't be the reason your beer tastes like shit (should it do so) tongue

Yeah, I'm gonna put this down with US-05.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dass Alto looks like a better use of the Real Ale can than the Anzac Ale I made with it which I think is very average....well at least mine is! Some of it is bound for the sink.

As regards the Black IPA - I made one recently using the Craft Diablo IPA kit + Robust Extract, Cascade Hops and US05 - came out very nice. Quite a punch to it. Unlike other IPA's I find I can only drink 1 of them in a session usually.

The Dass Alto sounds nice. I've never tried an Altbier before though. Anyone know of any commercial altbiers available at Dan Murphys or anywhere like that?

Just found the following on the Dan's website' date=' looks like the only one they have but I'll be getting one to try.

3 Ravens - Golden Altbier

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_777309/3-ravens-golden-altbier/[html]

Archived