Ingredients:

2 x 1.7kg Thomas Cooper 86 Days Pilsner

2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

500g Coopers Dextrose

2 x 25g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Hop Pellets

2 x 50g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Hop Pellets

2 x 11.5g Fermentis W-34/70 Dry Yeast

1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

This one's definitely got me intrigued, although at 8.3% ABV, I won't be trying it. I can't figure out why people would want something so high, that you can actually taste the alcohol? 6%-7% is usually my maximum cut off.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S Accidently hit report to moderator on your post' date=' apologies to mods in advance. [img']sad[/img]

All good. And I dare say with that ingredient list you be hard pressed to match the price

Yeah that was my mistake assuming (we all know what that does) that it would be a single can recipe :embarrased:

Hi Guys' date='

Has anyone brewed the American Rebel Amber Ale (ROTM last Month)?

I have this and interested to see how it turns out and if there were any tricks.

My issue is the temperature in Perth at the moment.

Thanks,

Mike[/quote']

Just opened my first bottle of this. Just shocking. Far too over powered by a disgusting hops taste. Appears to be a very poorly thought out recipe.

This is my 6th craft brew and my first major disappointment. If it had been my first brew, I'd have never made a second.

Hmmm, I'm very surprised Dr Ralph. Last winter I brewed a 10.5 litre batch of red lager in which I boiled 15g Centennial for 5 minutes and then added another 15g Centennial at flameout (plus a normal bittering addition at 60 minutes). I got a pretty mild hop presence out of that post-fermentation. Oh well, at least you know to steer clear of Centennial I guess, must not be to your taste. Maybe you picked up an infection and it isn't the hops you're tasting?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I put down last months ROTM (Revered Pale Ale) last night.

I try to stick to the instructions however I made some slight changes:

• After the initial boiling of the hops I did not cool it for long in an ice bath. I strained the contents straight into the vessel when it was still hot.
    I activated the yeast in 30C water fro 15 minutes
    I stired in the Pale Ale can contents and added cold water up to 9L ( Better OG reading 1050)

We will see how this one turns out. I still need to dry hop the cascade after 4 days.

Anyone else use similar method or think I am doing it wrong?

This is only my second brew so I am still learning.

Cheers

Thanks Hairy

I figured as long as I got the final temp down to 18C it would be fine.

Keeping it at the correct temp is the problem I am having.

Cheers

If you can get a foam esky (or even a normal esky might do for the craft kit), stick it in there with frozen 1.25L bottles. My brew has sat dead on 18-20 with one frozen bottle.

Thanks Hairy

I figured as long as I got the final temp down to 18C it would be fine.

Keeping it at the correct temp is the problem I am having.

Cheers

If you can get a foam esky (or even a normal esky might do for the craft kit)' date=' stick it in there with frozen 1.25L bottles. My brew has sat dead on 18-20 with one frozen bottle. [/quote']

How long did it take you to get it down to 18-20, Paul?

That's a good question, I didn't take much notice unfortunately. I pitched at around 24 at 7pm, and when I check first thing Sunday morning it was sitting around 20 I think. It got a bit cold when I started adding 2 frozen bottles so I moved back to 1 and it's sat perfectly between 18-20 the entire time.

I would probably advocate using chilled water to bring your temp down first.

I have been using a large bucket filled with water and swapping the frozen bottles.

This method has kept my brew at around 20-22.

This being said, I went out and bought a chest freezer on the weekend and plan to use this in the future. $50 off gum tree!!

Looking at using a STC 1000 to control the temp on it.

Saves me having to get my wife to change the frozen bottles in the day. Also will allow me to brew lagers and Pils at cooler temps. Cannot wait to get this up and running :)

So the current ROTM have been taken down from the site.

Anyone want to guess what style is coming next?

I'm going to go with a lager.

Hope its something more interesting than a Lager.

Something dark, to enable it to be put down for a few month before winter would be great.

Wow. No offence to Coopers + team but 'The Hoff' craft recipe kit looks really over priced.

Fair enough that postage is included/free but $37 for 1 kg liquid malt, 25g hops, a yeast sachet & carb drops seems quite high to me.

Maybe it is a misprint....?

Apparently the Pacific Summer Ale is

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

whistling

Wow. No offence to Coopers + team but 'The Hoff' craft recipe kit looks really over priced.

Fair enough that postage is included/free but $37 for 1 kg liquid malt' date=' 25g hops, a yeast sachet & carb drops seems quite high to me.

Maybe it is a misprint....?[/quote']

I agree, given I can't get "Golden malt", but using light malt those ingredients come to less than $25.00 from a lhbs

Very disappointed with the offerings out today.

The pacific Summer Ale was offered only recently and The Hoff doesn't interest me.

Ah what's up Doc? as you are aware no doubt it's not possible too make everybody happy every time. wink

But if you were to have a look here' date=' DIY Beer recipes, maybe you will find something appealing. smile

Cheers.

Archived