Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

ROTM ordered yesterday' date=' arrived today!!! Just in time to brew this weekend, after the Bockenator is bottled. Thanks Coopers![/quote']

Really?....cripes, where do you live?....next door to the warehouse?

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I bought the ESVA kit too (I also bought the extract Pilsner craft kit too).

I've never added dextrose to beer before, as my understanding is that dextrose purely raises the ABV of a beer without adding to the flavour/mouthfeel at all?

If that's correct, do you think that the beer would suffer at all if I chose not to put the dextrose in? Or does the higher alcohol content add to the beer in some way over time?

Cheers

Blake

Last months bockenator was my first ROM purchase and I just ordered this ESVA - could be a habit developing here.

That's an interesting question about the dex and I look forward to reading the replies it gets. Meanwhile, for myself, I have a sneaking suspicion that those blokes at Coopers know more about this brewing lark than I do, so will be sticking to their recipe.

Hi Chuznut.

I've never added dextrose to beer before' date=' as my understanding is that dextrose purely raises the ABV of a beer without adding to the flavour/mouthfeel at all?

If that's correct, do you think that the beer would suffer at all if I chose not to put the dextrose in? Or does the higher alcohol content add to the beer in some way over time?[/quote']

The added alcohol likely gives the beer an increased longevity, but if you plan to drink the beer within the next 12-18 months I can vouch for the fact that you can brew a lower ABV version that still has all the wonderful flavours of the full ABV version. I did this successfully a few years back. biggrin

Session-able ESVA?

Geez that was a nice hop combo on that one too, even if I do say so myself! innocentcool

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

I too bought the 2016 ESVA recipe of the month pack, it looks like a good one. I will be adding all the ingredients including the dextrose. I think the additional alcohol will balance the malt flavour with that slight boozy edge that the commercial ESVA has. I'll rehydrate all 3 of the yeast packs and keep it fairly cool, so hopefully they rip through the ferment fairly quickly and cleanly to start with. The plan is to package into 3 x 6 litre Tap-a-Draft bottles and hide them away to condition for quite a while. Well I'll probably drink one or two while it's young and hoppy innocent

How long do I age this one for? How long are you guys/gals planning on ageing yours?

G'day Beer Baron,

The commercial ESVA is very tasty as soon as it is released, when the hops shine. It is also tasty a year or more after release, when the hops fade and the malt flavour seems to get richer and smoother. Depends on which of those you prefer. I like them both, so I'll probably drink 1/3 of the batch pretty early, 1/3 after a couple of months, and tuck the other 1/3 away for at least 6 months.

Cheers,

John

How long do I age this one for? How long are you guys/gals planning on ageing yours?

I've still got a few bottles of my 2013 ESVA hanging about. I was hoping to keep them longer but I think the last of them will get finished before the end of the winter, they have aged beautifully.

I just picked up the 2016 pack from the post office, really looking forward to brewing this weekend. I'm very tempted to order a second batch before they sell out...

I've just noticed that in the write up for the ESVA recipe, it's referred to as an 'American Style IPA'.

Does that mean that the current commercial version of the ESVA is an IPA as well? I was always under the impression that the ESVA was considered as an English Strong Ale?

Doing some *ahem* "research" on this one tonight while SWMBO is away. I reckon I'll definitely skip the extra dex, however for the sake of the video I'll pretend to add it.

So, any suggestions on how to hilariously split the 1kg dex into 500g? I'm thinking axe wink I reckon if I take out the contents, fill the empty box with a bit of wood and some flour then I'll get a decently funny white explosion if I hit it just right ...

I've just noticed that in the write up for the ESVA recipe' date=' it's referred to as an 'American Style IPA'.

Does that mean that the current commercial version of the ESVA is an IPA as well? I was always under the impression that the ESVA was considered as an English Strong Ale?[/quote']Over the years, with the benefit of tasting back vintages, our brewers have realised that the bitterness needed a boost in the interest of longevity. So ESVA has become more hop driven (bitterness and late hop character), which has moved the style from English Strong Ale into American IPA.tongue

... I reckon I'll definitely skip the extra dex' date=' however for the sake of the video I'll pretend to add it...[/quote'] The addition of simple sugar helps with attenuation, which helps to get the FG closer to the commercial version. wink

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

About time the site stopped teasing me with the advert for the ROTM.

I got all keen and penciled it in for my next brew day only to find out I was too late mate. Might have to bastardise my own version. Good to see though that there's a strong demand, this should see it continue with some quality recipes.

Can't wait to see what next month's is.

Hi guys,

I received my ESVA kit today, although the seal on one of the hop bags (Northern Brewer) was broken, so it isn't vacuum sealed. It says that it was packed back on the 8/7/16.

It's still going to be a few weeks until I'll get a chance to do this brew. Do you reckon this could be an issue using these hops? Or should they still be fine to use after being unsealed in this time frame?

I've used stale hops once before, and I could definitely notice it in the beer, although I have no idea how long it takes for hops to go stale in the first place?

Cheers

Blake

Hi guys' date='

I received my ESVA kit today, although the seal on one of the hop bags (Northern Brewer) was broken, so it isn't vacuum sealed. It says that it was packed back on the 8/7/16.

It's still going to be a few weeks until I'll get a chance to do this brew. Do you reckon this could be an issue using these hops? Or should they still be fine to use after being unsealed in this time frame?

I've used stale hops once before, and I could definitely notice it in the beer, although I have no idea how long it takes for hops to go stale in the first place?

Cheers

Blake[/quote']

I had this happen once with a pack. emailed store@coopers.com.au and they sent me another bag. that said if you put them in a ziplock bag and chuckem in the freezer they should be fine.

Hey Folks

just noticed something - was looking at the recipe details for this brew and it mentioned 2 carb drops per bottle....but only use 1 if intending to age for a while.

Could this explain why some brews I have had sitting in the garage for 6 months have turned out to be 'frothies' when opened when they weren't when consumed earlier? - if so' date=' why? - I don't understand this. It has only happened to some brews - others have been fine when left for a while, and even then it can be bottle by bottle.

Anyone else experienced this?

[/quote']This has been discussed in other threads recently as well. The yeast can apparently release an enzyme that breaks down the previously unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones that the yeast can then obviously ferment, creating more gas and therefore overcarbonated gushers. I have had this happen on some batches stored for longer periods as well, but not all of them.

Other causes can be English ale yeasts as some of them are "designed" if you will, to keep slowly fermenting over time. These are usually used in cask ales as a way of maintaining the small level of carbonation. I don't bottle condition any beers with English ale yeasts anymore for this reason.

Hey Folks

just noticed something - was looking at the recipe details for this brew and it mentioned 2 carb drops per bottle....but only use 1 if intending to age for a while.

Could this explain why some brews I have had sitting in the garage for 6 months have turned out to be 'frothies' when opened when they weren't when consumed earlier? - if so' date=' why? - I don't understand this. It has only happened to some brews - others have been fine when left for a while, and even then it can be bottle by bottle.

Anyone else experienced this?

[/quote']This has been discussed in other threads recently as well. The yeast can apparently release an enzyme that breaks down the previously unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones that the yeast can then obviously ferment, creating more gas and therefore overcarbonated gushers. I have had this happen on some batches stored for longer periods as well, but not all of them.

Other causes can be English ale yeasts as some of them are "designed" if you will, to keep slowly fermenting over time. These are usually used in cask ales as a way of maintaining the small level of carbonation. I don't bottle condition any beers with English ale yeasts anymore for this reason.

Thanks Kelsey - don't understand all the science behind it but I will reduce the priming in the bottles I plan to age out of this brew and will be wary of the English Ale yeasts. Don't want to repeat my experience with the BRY97 - the brown ale I produced with that is horrible and after all the effort I will be tipping it!

Hi guys' date='

Cheers

Blake[/quote']

I just wanted to give a shout out to Coopers... They saw my post from the other day, and without me contacting them directly about it at all, they emailed me this morning to say that they have sent me a new bag of Northern Brewer hops.

Great customer service Coopers.

... I reckon I'll definitely skip the extra dex' date=' however for the sake of the video I'll pretend to add it...[/quote']

The addition of simple sugar helps with attenuation, which helps to get the FG closer to the commercial version. wink

If I said "the addition of simple sugar results in the dilution of the final solution due to the presence of extra alcohol, hence a lower FG" would that be saying basically the same thing?

In this case, simple sugar is added to the recipe rather than substituting malt extract with simple sugar. If anything, less water is added (albeit a smidge less) to achieve the same brew volume. So the term "dilution" may be misleading?? Dunno...

What is it you mean by "helps attenuation"?
The addition of simple sugar helps with attenuation' date=' [b']which helps to get the FG closer to the commercial version[/b].

That would be the way I took it. wink

The commercial version is obviously mashed quite low to create a wort that is more fermentable. In a homebrewing scenario, the combination of the kits likely creates a slightly more forward flavour that can then have a simple sugar added to it to reach certain ABV marks, maintain drink-ability with the commercial version, & without impacting on overall flavour.

Increasing ferment volume is another way to reduce FG. In such a bold flavoured beer as the ESVA, this was the other way I dealt with the OG/FG scenario when I brewed my more sessionable lower ABV% version of this beer. The flavours were still very bold. coolhappy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived