Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

Yes, it does look like a tasty recipe Scottie, but I am puzzled by its name. I lived in Jamaica, the birthplace of the Rastafarian religion, Reggae music, and Bob Marley, from 1987-1990. I've also visited several other islands in the Caribbean. I have never seen a porter. In terms of dark beer the only ones I ever saw were Dragon Stout and Guinness Stout.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I lived in Jamaica' date=' [/quote']

Lucky Duck

I've also visited several other islands in the Caribbean. I have never seen a porter. In terms of dark beer the only ones I ever saw were Dragon Stout and Guinness Stout.

Poetic License' date=' sounds exotic.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

I must be missing something. Is the term mudlust something related to Jamaica? Everything in the description of it and the ingredients are all pointed towards an English style brown ale.

Yep I think you are Kelsey. Two separate recipes The Mudlust thing is the Craft Brew ROM while the Caribbean Porter in the DIY ROM.

rightful

Scottie

$39.95 with free shipping for the Bock in Black! Are you sure you priced that right Coopers?

Ingredients:

1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale - $15.26

1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Pale $3.05

1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Smooth $3.05

1 x 11.5g Saflager W-34/70 Dry Yeast

1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops $2.79

Coopers store price total = $24.15 + yeast, maybe $4-5 from LHBS, so at most this would cost $29.15. Maybe that 3 is meant to be a 2, or maybe it comes in a really nice box?

Lager yeast is more like 7-9 bucks a packet. It's probably not far from the cost really, even though it's free shipping that cost would be included in the price anyway.

While homebrewing isn't entirely about making cheaper beer, it's still a pretty expensive way to brew, $40 for a carton worth of beer. I know a commercial example of the same style would be 1.5-2 times (or higher) more than that to buy, but still. If I'm gonna spend $40 on brewing ingredients I want more than 8.5 litres out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mudlust and Macho Macchiato are about ready to try.. Interesting to see how they go, this is my first foray into ROTM's, thought it would be an easy way to experiment a bit without splashing out for a whole bunch of stuff I don't know what to do with.

I did the cascade hops craft one from a couple months back and that was quite nice - but if anyone from your LHBS ever tells you to chuck the hops in loose mate she'll be right, give them a slap. Seriously bad idea, ended up like that orange juice you buy with the floaty bits in it. The salvageable bottles were great but the hop flavour wasn't even, on account of the loose dry hop I think. Bit grassy as well.

I was puzzled by the Caribbean porter thing as well. Isn't it hot there like all the time? I've never heard the words 'Caribbean' and 'porter' used together once, ever. I'm gonna put that one down next week though and it looks nice. Maybe it'd be a bit more Jamaican if I dry hopped with a roughly chopped bag of ... something else

I was puzzled by the Caribbean porter thing as well.
Dark beer is quite common in hot climates. This recipe was inspired by Guinness West Indies Porter tongue

Have a look at the Bock in Black as soon as the bottles are holding good pressure - probably around the 4 week mark.

Ordered the Macho Macchiato Stout ... looks very interesting.

Unfortunately however I don't think my Coopers DIY fermenter will last long enough to ferment this. I think it has developed a harline crack somewhere in the base as liquid has been very, very slowly leaking. I noticed it first in my Cool Brewing Bag with this batch and then again on the plastic tablecloth it has been sitting on since being moved. So after bottling the batch in there I'll probably have to throw it out. Oh well, I got over 3 years use out of it, so fairly happy with that.

This unfortunately means that I won't be able to ferment my Macho Macchiato Stout ROTM pack to the specified 23 litres. Fermenting it to 11 litres in my little Craft fermenter would result in a BIG stout (the stats fit the Russian Imperial guidelines fairly well), so this is an option. I would be hoping that a cool ferment and the krausen kollar would take care of the ensuing mayhem.

From IanH's spreadsheet, making up the ingredients to 11 litres would result in the following:

OG: 1.089 (approx - depends how much you get out of the chocolate malt)

IBU: 69.2

I'd probably need to boil some hops to get the IBUs up a bit to balance all the malt and lactose, and then give it plenty of age.

I guess an alternative would be to ferment the kit as is to 11 litres in my little Craft fermenter and then dilute at bottling time. This could be done when using my 6 litre Tap-a-Draft bottles, just half-fill with cooled, boiled water before adding carb drops and topping up with the high-gravity Macho Macchiato brew.

Any thoughts?

Hi John.

A lot of yeasts will leave a higher FG with brews of this OG if fermented as a single batch, so I wouldn't advise fermenting it in the smaller volume FV.

I'd follow solidute's advice & go buy another 30 litre fermenter & ferment it in that, as it is advised to be at full volume.

As every Australian knows wages are hugely inflated in Canberra, so picking up a temporary FV from Bunnings shouldn't be an issue as you can write it off for tax purposes until your desired choice Coopers FV arrives via courier mail. tonguewink

Canberrians are very good at tax evasion as they often work for a government department, or know someone who does, so if you know one, even if you don't like them that much, stay friends for this reason alone as their continued knowledge of how to evade paying large amounts of tax will be invaluable over the years. biggrin

Cheers & good tax dodging,

Lusty.

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately having my wife recently stop work for at least the next 4 or 5 years means money is a bit tight at the moment. Well I guess the key thing is getting value for money, and while I could buy another 30+ litre fermenter for this batch, I don't think I'd get much use out of it after that. That's mainly because after recently buying a new mash tun to do no-sparge mash all-grain 11 litre batches, I'm not actually planning on doing another 'full volume' brew after the Macho Macchiato stout.

I have been doing a bit more research and thinking and it seems imperial milk stouts are a thing after all. Some I found that people rate fairly well ...

• Voodoo Cowbell
  • Cigar City BA Imperial Sweet Stout
  • Lakewood The Temptress
  • Pipeworks Jones Dog

Of course they're all from the land where 'bigger is better' so hmmm ... but I think I might have a go at making the kit up to 11 litres with the addition of a 30 minute boil of 10g Centennial to get the bitterness up to around 85 IBUs. I'll pitch plenty of WLP2308 slurry, and if it gets down to a 1.030 FG (from a 1.095 OG) then that might be ok for a strong, thick, roasty, sweet sipping kind of beer.

When I think about the grain bill, it would probably be pale malt, flaked barley, roasted barley, chocolate malt and lactose. The only gap might be crystal malt, but probably a good thing in a beer as big as this and already containing lactose.

Cheers,

John

Ordered the Macho Macchiato Stout ... looks very interesting.

Unfortunately however I don't think my Coopers DIY fermenter will last long enough to ferment this. I think it has developed a harline crack somewhere in the base as liquid has been very' date=' very slowly leaking. I noticed it first in my Cool Brewing Bag with this batch and then again on the plastic tablecloth it has been sitting on since being moved. So after bottling the batch in there I'll probably have to throw it out. Oh well, I got over 3 years use out of it, so fairly happy with that.

This unfortunately means that I won't be able to ferment my Macho Macchiato Stout ROTM pack to the specified 23 litres. Fermenting it to 11 litres in my little Craft fermenter would result in a BIG stout (the stats fit the Russian Imperial guidelines fairly well), so this is an option. I would be hoping that a cool ferment and the krausen kollar would take care of the ensuing mayhem.

From IanH's spreadsheet, making up the ingredients to 11 litres would result in the following:

OG: 1.089 (approx - depends how much you get out of the chocolate malt)

IBU: 69.2

I'd probably need to boil some hops to get the IBUs up a bit to balance all the malt and lactose, and then give it plenty of age.

I guess an alternative would be to ferment the kit as is to 11 litres in my little Craft fermenter and then dilute at bottling time. This could be done when using my 6 litre Tap-a-Draft bottles, just half-fill with cooled, boiled water before adding carb drops and topping up with the high-gravity Macho Macchiato brew.

Any thoughts?[/quote']

Why not just split the ROTM kit in half and run it through the craft FV twice? That way you're not fussing with dilution issues, and it allows you to tweak and play with the recipe in the two separate batches?

Why not just split the ROTM kit in half and run it through the craft FV twice? That way you're not fussing with dilution issues' date=' and it allows you to tweak and play with the recipe in the two separate batches? [/quote']

Thanks for the suggestion - not a bad idea at all.

Although the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of turning it into a nice big Imperial Milk Stout. I typically see 450g quoted as a good amount of lactose to use in a 19 litre batch, so 250g should be ok in an 11 litre batch. Recalculating the bitterness, I don't think I'll actually need to add any more hops ... (560 * 1.7) / 11 = 86.5 IBUs which should be plenty on its own. An ABV of somewhere between 8 and 9% sounds good too. It will end up completely different to what the good folks at Coopers intended of course, but I have a feeling it could be very nice.

Looks like the ESVA is on offer again. I highly recommend this!

It looks good

+1

I like the rare specific specialty grain inclusion this time' date=' & the inclusion of the newly released Denali hop.

They are massive cones! w00t

Very interesting indeed. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived