Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

Hey all - just got my ROTM delivered and noticed that the Spalt hops weren't properly vacuum packed (sealed, but air in the bag). I know it probably won't be an issue as I will be using them within the next week but just wanted to make sure lol

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Woody.

The hops would have been packed fresh, & given you're going to use them pretty much straight away, there really is no issue. If however you were planning to store them for a period of time, their forward properties would diminish more rapidly than if vacuum sealed.

Just on this months ROTM promo pic...

...I thought these days we were all being discouraged from drink driving?! tonguewhistling

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey all - just got my ROTM delivered and noticed that the Spalt hops weren't properly vacuum packed (sealed' date=' but air in the bag). I know it [i']probably[/i] won't be an issue as I will be using them within the next week but just wanted to make sure lol

I had this in one of the packs i got. PB2 said to contact the store to let them know which i did and they sent me a new packet.

store@coopers.com.au

The Black IPA looks good' date=' never had one before so should be interesting. How long would guys let this one sit for? given it's hoppy but dark.[/quote']

I'm planning to leave mine for at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

The Black IPA looks good' date=' never had one before so should be interesting. How long would guys let this one sit for? given it's hoppy but dark.[/quote']

I'm planning to leave mine for at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

I was thinking about 4 weeks

G'day beer lovers!

I just received the Dass Auto in the mail.

A couple of things.....

1) The Nottingham Yeast is not vacuum sealed. Should i be worried? All other Lallemand Nottingham i have bought is always vacuum sealed. I have a vacuum sealed one in the fridge just in case.

2) I have read up a little on cold steeping and it suggest this is a better method for darker gains. Does the Caramunich fall into this category? I will cold steep for 24hrs none the less just to give it a go.

3) Looking forward to trying the Spalt Hops. I've never heard of them.

Dingo.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Brewers,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've currently got one of this month's recipes down - The Shiner. Ingredients as follows:

1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Diablo IPA

2 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Robust

1 x 25g Galaxy Hop Pellets

1 x 11.5g Fermentis US-05 Dry Yeast

1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops

It has been in the ferementer 2 weeks as of Saturday with a stable hydrometer reading of 1.014. Expected FG is 1008 to 1012. With ABV of 7.2% (I have yet to add the dry hops as I have been away. I plan to do this once I think I've got the FG issue sorted).

My hydrometer reads just about right on 1.000 in tap water and I have degassed the samples that I have taken. Temp has been set to 18c for the whole time ( I haven't fugured out how to set the temp to change while I'm not there yet).

Is it safe to bottle? Or is there anything I can do at this stage to drop a couple of more points?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Josh.

Its a pretty big brew... ide say its finished quite well...

Should put some hairs on your chest

I wouldn't be worried about that Ide say the saf05 has done a good job, if you used 04 it would probly be 1020

I've just ordered the Devil's Brew Porter and enough wheat LME to take it over the $80 for free shipping. I'm gonna whack a least one of those spare bootmakers I've got laying around with some wheat LME and see how it pans out.

The last ROTM I ordered, I thought I'll take advantage of the free shipping so added a few other Coopers goodies to the order, but the shipping cost then came back into effect. I'm not sure why either. unsure

I personally would probably purchase more of the ROTM packs if the free shipping extended to other Coopers Store items added to that order. It's a shame that currently isn't an option. sad

Cheers,

Lusty.

G'day Lusty

If you take your complete order to more than $80 you will receive free shipping on everything. .. This is what I did yesterday. ...I needed a few bits so I waited till the new ROTM came out and I liked it....so I used the free shipping option to catch up on some stuff.

Hi Morrie.

My comments centre around the purchase of the ROTM pack & the free shipping that comes along with that. This is separate to the free shipping offer with purchases over $80.

It just seems a little odd that if you tack on a few extra products to the free shipped ROTM pack, that you then incur a shipping cost.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about it, it would just be a little more inviting for me to make additional purchases is all. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty - I understand what you're saying mate and I guess that Coopers do it that way to try and boost sales....but on the other hand they could potentially be winning more direct sales the way you would like it.biggrin

Magnaman

G'day Brewers, ROTM, sold out, well that was popular.

Sheeeeesh! Is that a record? Glad I got in for my chop yesterday and didn't leave it go for another day.

I'm just interested to hear how many of you blokes and blokettes bought the "DEVILS BREW PORTER"

Archived