Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

On 2/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, Norris! said:

Picked a ton of cascade today at my Buddy's place. Looking forward to trying these.

Cheers

Norris

20200222_171726.jpg

20200222_160428.jpg

20200222_160415.jpg

20200222_154802.jpg

that is a hell of a lot of hop's, should keep you going for a while.

1 ton= 907.185kg 😝

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Haha 3

On 2/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, Norris! said:

Picked a ton of cascade today at my Buddy's place. Looking forward to trying these.

Cheers

Norris

20200222_171726.jpg

20200222_160428.jpg

20200222_160415.jpg

20200222_154802.jpg

Be careful when drying as they can drop a lot of lupin (yellow stuff) and its a pain to clean. I know for experience as I dried inside and the lupin that drop is oil and once rubbed in can be a pain to remove. My vac sealer really cops it when I package after drying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Harvest is over for another year. We ended up with 5.6kg of dry hops split as follows

1.3kg Chinook

2.8kg Cascade

1.45kg Victoria.

The above doesn't include harvest ales (600g dry) and hops not harvested (estimated 2kg dry)

Chest freezer is now full of dry vac sealed hops so 'managed' ambient brewing till at least October it is. Luckily its cold now so shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

Harvest is over for another year. We ended up with 5.6kg of dry hops split as follows

1.3kg Chinook

2.8kg Cascade

1.45kg Victoria.

The above doesn't include harvest ales (600g dry) and hops not harvested (estimated 2kg dry)

Chest freezer is now full of dry vac sealed hops so 'managed' ambient brewing till at least October it is. Luckily its cold now so shouldn't be a problem.

Thats awesome mate. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@jamiek86 Check out this thread, mate. Some absolute gun hops growers here.

thanks mate I dont know why when typing into search it didn't come up or was pages back. I will definitely get it going next year I reckon missed mark by a while. @Otto Von Blotto @Maurice79 do you send them away to test AA to know how much you need to use?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

thanks mate I dont know why when typing into search it didn't come up or was pages back.

It's a fairly old thread. The search mechanism on this forum usually shows the most recent stuff first. It can take ages to find some things. I remembered this one because I was amazed at Maurice's harvests. I live not that far from him and thought how does someone successfully grow hops in SA? It almost defies nature. 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

thanks mate I dont know why when typing into search it didn't come up or was pages back. I will definitely get it going next year I reckon missed mark by a while. @Otto Von Blotto @Maurice79 do you send them away to test AA to know how much you need to use?

No, I just guess it from the usual range of the variety, usually towards the low end. Most times I only use them as late additions anyway so it doesn't really matter as much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No, I just guess it from the usual range of the variety, usually towards the low end. Most times I only use them as late additions anyway so it doesn't really matter as much. 

good idea being a kit brewer I'm more likely to use flavour additions will definitely give growing a go 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna start fixing up my planter box and get a few rhizomes this winter to start growing them again. And by fixing up I just mean filling it up with soil. The trellis and lines are still in place. I'll do it gradually as it's a bit expensive to do it all at once, plus the way my house is built it's impossible to get a trailer out the back anyway. But yeah will be good to get back into it. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Not going to get much POR hops this year unfortunately. I usually get a couple of batches worth but it was a bit neglected this year. Other than a urea feed when the bines started appearing I didn't feed it again and didn't water it very often either. You get out what you put into it I guess. How's everyone else hops going?

20230215_185050.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Not going to get much POR hops this year unfortunately. I usually get a couple of batches worth but it was a bit neglected this year. Other than a urea feed when the bines started appearing I didn't feed it again and didn't water it very often either. You get out what you put into it I guess. How's everyone else hops going?

They look healthy enough Greeny but as you say not a big crop, POR is one of my favourite hops & I have a mate on this forum who grows them & he has given me a couple of lots. I used them fresh in a couple of brews, boiled & steeped of course.

I have a back fence that I could grow & train them on, but I don't think they would get enough sun because of the trees.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My hops are starting to pop out nicely now. Gave them a urea feed each last weekend. I usually go hard on nitrogen till i start to see burrs then switch to mostly potassium. Seems to work well. Added to my POR with a goldings this year. Cut the bottom off a large plastic pot and sunk that into the ground. Not expecting much off that one this year. Maybe enough for a late addition to an english IPA or something. 

Anybody else got hops on the go?

20231001_102203.jpg

20231001_102140.jpg

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

My hops are starting to pop out nicely now. Gave them a urea feed each last weekend. I usually go hard on nitrogen till i start to see burrs then switch to mostly potassium. Seems to work well. Added to my POR with a goldings this year. Cut the bottom off a large plastic pot and sunk that into the ground. Not expecting much off that one this year. Maybe enough for a late addition to an english IPA or something. 

Anybody else got hops on the go?

20231001_102203.jpg

20231001_102140.jpg

Looks like you have lift off Greeny, I would love to but as I stated earlier, I don't think my space would get enough sun.

• Like 1