Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

Guys got any ideas re Verticillium Wilt... or Leaf Curl fungus....

Have really been up against it - drought+heat - then roos/animals - and now this leaf curl/fungal attack...

Got some hortic advice (and know a bit of plant physiology/path but nothing specific about hops) cannot apply my sulphur based treatment as it is finally raining...

First year...

Lost one plant due to late frost... West of the Blue Mountains and the weather is just ffkkkkkkkkkked up sadly.

Anyway - here are mine

image.png.8d23a809ead8aa15a3331dee8a87650c.png

And these are Library Images off the Web - believe from North USA:

image.png.68c7750a304bc157e9fff9eac6b46408.png

And then the leaves just fall off... not having a good time sadly.

Cheers Brewing Hop Growers...

BB

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Maurice79, Your plants look amazing.  What is your secret?

I have six plants and I will be lucky to get 200g out of them.  However, other than regular watering, I have not done much to help them along.

Not sure maybe just luck and good location I guess.

We are around 450m above sea level and the winters are sufficiently cold enough with decent rainfall. In summer the hops have good protection from wind on both sides and while the soil is clay deep down, the top layer has good structure and is full of nutrients. These are also on a slope so it helps with drainage,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Guys got any ideas re Verticillium Wilt... or Leaf Curl fungus....

Have really been up against it - drought+heat - then roos/animals - and now this leaf curl/fungal attack...

Got some hortic advice (and know a bit of plant physiology/path but nothing specific about hops) cannot apply my sulphur based treatment as it is finally raining...

First year...

Lost one plant due to late frost... West of the Blue Mountains and the weather is just ffkkkkkkkkkked up sadly.

Anyway - here are mine

image.png.8d23a809ead8aa15a3331dee8a87650c.png

And these are Library Images off the Web - believe from North USA:

image.png.68c7750a304bc157e9fff9eac6b46408.png

And then the leaves just fall off... not having a good time sadly.

Cheers Brewing Hop Growers...

BB

Not sure about hop diseases as Australia is generally free of pests and diseases like downy mildew and hop powdery mildew.

1 minute ago, Maurice79 said:

full of nutrients

This could be one of the key differences.  Our area was orchards up until the 1960's.

We are on the southern edge of the Dandenong Ranges, outside of Melbourne.  We're about 225m above sea-level.  Good rainfall and good cold winters.  One of my East Kent Goldings does really well.  The others do not do so good.  Although this is the third season.  The first season they all did quite well.  I probably got 400g out of six plants.

This year I think I will be digging them up, keeping a few rhizomes and replanting.

• Like 1

Perhaps add some fertiliser as well. I usually give them a bit once they get going, then I switch to one that promotes flowering once I see burrs appear. I didn't do that this time because they burred up really early (November) plus the dog had wrecked a few bines so I didn't think I'd get much from it anyway. Now it's recovered and it's burr city out there. Might go grab the maxibloom from the olds tomorrow and put some on it. Last time I used it I got a number of clusters on it and they were quite large cones as well. 

• Like 2

My 5 varieties, first year, are choofing along nicely, albeit at very different rates. They sure love this rainwater (unfortunately so does the weeds!). I've been using Organic Dynamic Lifter and it certainly seems to help, plenty of both Nitrogen and Potassium, perhaps some of this may help you Shamus. Cheers

Edited by Olemate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Maurice79 said:

Not sure about hop diseases as Australia is generally free of pests and diseases like downy mildew and hop powdery mildew.

Cheers Maurice.

Yeah I think although like @Greeny1525229549 Greeny the plants had a very hot time to begin with Nov-Early Jan... they did have regular watering and did seem to be surviving that torrid time. 

Fusarium and Verticillium Wilt are both common in Australia and unfortunately, I suspect, I may have some of the Vert wilt fungus.

It has stopped raining so will try to get to treating them and hope for the best. 

But their performance is nothing like your massively beautiful festive big crop mate.

Ah well I am hoping I still have a chance...

Cheers Brewers and Hop Growers.

BB

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Our area was orchards up until the 1960's. 

Yeah Shamus good idea to try a bit of fert... can't hurt... just don't overdose on it ; )

12 hours ago, Maurice79 said:

downy mildew and hop powdery mildew.

Cheers Maurice - yeah plenty of downy mildew and powdery mildew in Aussie... dunno if it needs to be specific to humulus lupus but that is quite possible ; )

Certainly powdery hammers my Zukes late in life or humid times (when I am growing them - not now due to lack of rainwater in tanks) and downy is bad for cukes.

You must have a good spot and are obviously doing everything right !?! 👍

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey BB. My two hop plants have got hammered here in western Sydney. New years eve with 47c they got the standing 8 count. 4 days later at 48c they got knocked out. All the new laterals that would give the burrs got roasted. 

As did mine. 2 years in a row. Will have to find a better location for them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Popo said:

As did mine. 2 years in a row. Will have to find a better location for them.

Yeah i think that is my problem. I run mine along a north facing fence and last year did well. But there wasnt a 47 and 48 last year. A couple of early 40s they handled fine but the extra few degrees just destroyed them. They get 12 hours sunshine in summer along that fence. If i change it up and run it down the east facing they will get sun about 9 hours. Maybe ill try that next year

• Like 1

I managed to spray the sulphur-based compound onto them yesterday and it dried for a while prior to a later shower... am hoping that might knock the fungus (think it is) on the head...

Seems like I am not the only one battling to get the hoppers to grow though by the sounds of it....   : |

Except for Maurice who is showing us how it is done !?!

I have a number of clusters like these on my Cascade now, and more to come with clusters of burrs on other bines. These aren't ready yet but probably will be in another week or two. Looks like I will get enough for at least one batch this year, which is pretty good considering I didn't think I'd really get anything a couple of months ago. 

PSX_20200213_101203.thumb.jpg.c89600c528891971fa3b96a2bc9258b2.jpg

• Like 7

I've put a bit of effort into the soil and and ongoing fertilizer applications.

At the end of winter I generally clear the mulch over the area and spread cow shit and our compost then apply dynamic lifter to the area and mulch over. From spring to early December I use blood & bone then once burrs appear, organic potash applications. While deep down the soil here is clay, the top layer is quite nutrient rich and full of worms. We also have ag pipe running down the hill along the bines so they get a deep watering.

This weekend I should be able to do a wet hop harvest ale.

Cascadehops.jpg.4ca66091dac6d5fc2929c04d9c68866e.jpg

• Like 6

Just wondering if anyone can give us an idea when to pick hops in Perth, I am in the Hills and the hops look like they are starting to fill out. cant seem to find much on the web for WAhops.thumb.jpg.1d7223dab783b860518505992364800f.jpg

they have nothing on Maurice (nice work there) but for my first year happy to get some at least.  These are cascade, been pretty lucky as we have had some 40 degree days

• Like 2

@Detroit D, rather than thinking of a time of year to pick, do it by the feel of the cone. Yours look soft and moist still. Not moist as in wet, just softish.  The flower or cone will bend in your fingers without breaking.  Wait until they start to get dry and papery.  They will still have green tinge, but the tips will start to get brown. Another sign is to bend them and see if the stalk in the middle of the cone snaps.  I reckon that the window for picking is under two weeks.  Check them each day or so.

Check out YouTube for videos on drying your hops.  I use a food dehydrator.  Some just use an old fly wire screen and leave them in a warm spot, not in direct sun though. Or even use the screen, but blow air up from underneath with an old fan.

You could use your hops "wet".  That is picked and used almost straight away without drying. I have not done that yet.  You have to use more weight than dry hops or pellets because they weigh more with the moisture not removed yet.  Not sure what the suggested conversion is.

• Like 2

About 8 times the weight if they're wet from memory, even though the drying process only drops the weight down to ¼ of the wet weight. 

But yes, time of year is irrelevant somewhat, usually around now through to March/April is harvesting time but as Shamus said, go by the feel of them. You will get the hang of it pretty easily. I pick mine when they feel dry and papery. Usually got some brown tips at the bottom too but not always. You'll also notice the yellow lupulin powder under the top of the cones. 

• Like 2

Thanks Shamus and Otto 

Just had a check and they aren't dry yet, they feel moist and bend easily, the bigger older ones have yellow powder on them. They are in a good spot close to the house so I can keep an eye on them.  About a week a go you could squeeze one and you could smell a fruit like sweetness to it, that has faded a bit but as soon as you touch them you can smell the aroma.

I do have a food dehydrator after reading the beef jerky recipes on this forum... so will watch some videos on drying to get it right, cant wait to add homegrown hops to a brew

• Like 3

They'll probably be another week or two before they start feeling like they're ready. Reminds me I should check mine later. 

Drying is as simple as putting them on a screen with good air flow all around and underneath it. I thought about getting a dehydrator but I haven't needed to. I just whack em on a screen for 2-3 days and they're done. I weigh them straight after picking them, then aim to achieve a quarter of that weight from the drying process. I'll usually weigh them again two days later to see where they're at, although I usually find they need 3 days, probably because of the humidity here.

• Like 3

Inspiring stuff yet again guys. Was inspired back in november 2018 to order a couple of plants, EKG and Saaz. Grew well enough without crop first year. Moved Saaz out to the front of the house but didnt do well at all. Wife fails to water.

I knew the golding was fairing much better but didnt really expect to see any flowers. Low and behold it does. Not many and not big but im happy with that. Will rethink position next year.

20200223_141544.jpg

20200223_141425.jpg

Edited by Titan
  • Like 4