Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

50 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

https://wagwalking.com/condition/hops-poisoning

Yeah mate. Be careful if you have a dog who likes to nibble on stuff

Thanks @Greenyinthewestofsydney that’s a great article and the death nell to any idea of us growing our own hops unfortunately - never mind I would much prefer to have this info now than put our very inquisitive dog at high risk of being poisoned by them. 
Hey honey, change of plan, what ya think about some clumping bamboo along the back fence, that’d be nice I reckon 😉😁🍺🍺🍺

image.png.7bb3547025bfdbad7453f5a3de32f7d7.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Harvest of my POR yesterday. 322gm wet which really surprised me. Will be ~80gm dry so i should get two batches. This weekend i will harvest the goldings. Based on how much POR im expecting probably 500gm wet and maybe 120gm dry for that one.

20240227_105210.jpg

20240227_105215.jpg

They look sooooo good! 

So after the disappointment of my POR harvest which gave 322gm wet and 69 grams dry i harvested my goldings today. The hops are of much greater size and looking at the vine from the outside i thought around the 500 gm mark. Well my estimation skills need a bit of work as i got 1.42kgs less the weight of the bags so probably 1.35kg. I am astounded. Underneath the bines when i peeled them back there were hops evwrywhere. Took me about an hour to pick them all.

What surprised me most is this is basically a 1st year plant. The plant was in a 15cm pot so maybe it grew a little from the prior year but this is more hops than i ever got from my POR in any year. 

Pulling off a couple of flyscreens in the morning and getting these dry. Might get 3 of my English IPAs out of this. 

20240306_193018.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

So after the disappointment of my POR harvest which gave 322gm wet and 69 grams dry i harvested my goldings today. The hops are of much greater size and looking at the vine from the outside i thought around the 500 gm mark. Well my estimation skills need a bit of work as i got 1.42kgs less the weight of the bags so probably 1.35kg. I am astounded. Underneath the bines when i peeled them back there were hops evwrywhere. Took me about an hour to pick them all.

What surprised me most is this is basically a 1st year plant. The plant was in a 15cm pot so maybe it grew a little from the prior year but this is more hops than i ever got from my POR in any year. 

Pulling off a couple of flyscreens in the morning and getting these dry. Might get 3 of my English IPAs out of this. 

20240306_193018.jpg

WOOOHOO for you Greeny - that's great work mate - really pleased for ya 👏 👏

You are one lucky duck @Greenyinthewestofsydney

Here's to some serious full flavoured hoppy goodness in ya next brews eh cobber - wooaarrhhh - smashin' it 🍺 🍺

9 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

20240306_193018.jpg

Excellent crop Greeny.

This year's harvest. Not as many as last year, the weird weather might have stressed them out. Also don't smell as pungent, but hopefully good enough for one brew.

About 280g here, with another 120g frozen.

IMG20240307233039[1].jpg

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 5