Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

• 3 months later...

Hops are coming along. Massively surprised by my first year Goldings. The vine is spread about 6 metres across my back fence. Lots of burrs on it. I reckon at a guess i will get 60 to 70gm dried which i will use as late hops in a couple of batches. My POR is again a dissapointment. I am going to get more than last year but not much more despite putting in more effort. I am going to have to dig it up and do some crown cutting and soil replacement i think. Its been 4 years i think

20240121_194800.jpg

20240121_194813.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Hops are coming along. Massively surprised by my first year Goldings. The vine is spread about 6 metres across my back fence. Lots of burrs on it. I reckon at a guess i will get 60 to 70gm dried which i will use as late hops in a couple of batches. My POR is again a dissapointment. I am going to get more than last year but not much more despite putting in more effort. I am going to have to dig it up and do some crown cutting and soil replacement i think. Its been 4 years i think

20240121_194800.jpg

20240121_194813.jpg

They look great Greeny, I would love to grow them however not enough open space.

• Like 1

To those of you growing hops, do the vines/cones actually smell “like hops”? Ie do you get some sort of hop aroma from your growing plants, like flowers? Or does it only really come once the cones are picked? I’ve never seen a hop vine in real life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

To those of you growing hops, do the vines/cones actually smell “like hops”? Ie do you get some sort of hop aroma from your growing plants, like flowers? Or does it only really come once the cones are picked? I’ve never seen a hop vine in real life.

Hey NB09, The hop plant vines, actually called a bine, and leaves do not have a hoppy aroma.  Otherwise we would probably use them to make beer.

The cones, kind of a small leafy pine cone, do have the aroma.  The aroma mostly comes from the lupulin which looks like the yellow "pollen" inside the flower.  When you break open a cone or crush one between your fingers the aroma is obvious.  

You can use hops fresh, sometimes called wet hops, straight off the bine.  Although, I never did that.  I always dried them in a dehydrator.  Then broken them up and stored them in 25g lots in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey NB09, The hop plant vines, actually called a bine, and leaves do not have a hoppy aroma.  Otherwise we would probably use them to make beer.

The cones, kind of a small leafy pine cone, do have the aroma.  The aroma mostly comes from the lupulin which looks like the yellow "pollen" inside the flower.  When you break open a cone or crush one between your fingers the aroma is obvious.  

You can use hops fresh, sometimes called wet hops, straight off the bine.  Although, I never did that.  I always dried them in a dehydrator.  Then broken them up and stored them in 25g lots in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.

About this time last year I went a got a sh*tload of fresh hops off a mate. The smell wasn't so strong that you could smell them while picking (at least that I remember) but bagged up they had a big beautiful aroma.

That was actually only my second brew that I used them with home brewing (I did a few kit and kilos years back). Good to know I have have one up on Shamus 😆 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Comparison between my POR and Goldings. Goldings hop cones are almost twice the size. These are actually slightly bigger cones than my best POR year. The POR are getting close so will harvest some next weekend. The goldings i think i will harvest some next weekend then there will likely be another harvest later on as some burrs have just started growing. 

20240209_194323.jpg

20240209_194339.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Comparison between my POR and Goldings. Goldings hop cones are almost twice the size. These are actually slightly bigger cones than my best POR year. The POR are getting close so will harvest some next weekend. The goldings i think i will harvest some next weekend then there will likely be another harvest later on as some burrs have just started growing. 

20240209_194323.jpg

20240209_194339.jpg

Awesome Greeney, they look really healthy, I reckon I could give them a go against my back fence.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Thats where mine grow mate. As long as your fence faces northish then you will get a decent harvest. 

Oh great - I haven’t even got close to mastering the kits ‘n bits caper, I’ve just finished planning for my first coupla of partial mashes and now clearly I’m gonna have to look into growin me own hops 😳🤓 - they look amazing @Greenyinthewestofsydney - very cool 😎

I know I’m in the right growing zone for ‘em coz they used to farm them years ago in the Manjimup region about an hour Sou East of me, but I’m not sure how hardy they are in coastal winds (oh and our resident possum family). So some more research and reading comin up I guess - I have never even seen the plant (or should I say rhizomes) for sale.

Seriously, I tell ya, it’s a good thing I’m now retired, coz otherwise I’d have to give up workin - I’ve gotta get me a cold beer and start me some preliminary search in’ - WOOHOO 🥳

Hey honey, I’ve just found the perfect plant to cover the back fence with, honest, leave it with me I’ll show ya … 😉🤷‍♂️😂🤣😂🍺🍺

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Oh great - I haven’t even got close to mastering the kits ‘n bits caper, I’ve just finished planning for my first coupla of partial mashes and now clearly I’m gonna have to look into growin me own hops 😳🤓 - they look amazing @Greenyinthewestofsydney - very cool 😎

I know I’m in the right growing zone for ‘em coz they used to farm them years ago in the Manjimup region about an hour Sou East of me, but I’m not sure how hardy they are in coastal winds (oh and our resident possum family). So some more research and reading comin up I guess - I have never even seen the plant (or should I say rhizomes) for sale.

Seriously, I tell ya, it’s a good thing I’m now retired, coz otherwise I’d have to give up workin - I’ve gotta get me a cold beer and start me some preliminary search in’ - WOOHOO 🥳

Hey honey, I’ve just found the perfect plant to cover the back fence with, honest, leave it with me I’ll show ya … 😉🤷‍♂️😂🤣😂🍺🍺

I tell you what TBB, I have never grown them but a member of this forum who is a mate of mine & lives very close does & his plants are amazing, he has given me both frozen & fresh lots & I used them in a few brews & the freshness, aroma & taste were amazing.

I am seriously thinking about giving them a go, got nothing to lose, there are also places near me that sell them ready to plant so giddyup, I will do it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I tell you what TBB, I have never grown them but a member of this forum who is a mate of mine & lives very close does & his plants are amazing, he has given me both frozen & fresh lots & I used them in a few brews & the freshness, aroma & taste were amazing.

I am seriously thinking about giving them a go, got nothing to lose, there are also places near me that sell them ready to plant so giddyup, I will do it.

Brilliant - thanks for that share Phil @Classic Brewing Co that’s encouraging 🥳

Arrr good for you - I’m guessin about $20 and some gardening lattice (or the like) and bingo Bob - Fresh lushness available for brewing with - winning ✅👏👍🏻🙌🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yeah the further south you are the better really. Its not about heat or anything. They grow best with more sunlight. The biggest growing area in the US is Washington State which is freezing in winter and mild in summer. But bordering canada long summer daylight so they grow well

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They are easy to grow. My only tips. 1. Contain them in something. Raised garden bed or what i did with my goldings a large plastic pot with the bottom sawn off and sunk into the ground. 2. Lots of water. 3. Nitrogen fertiliser till ypu see burrs. Then switch to potassium

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

They are easy to grow. My only tips. 1. Contain them in something. Raised garden bed or what i did with my goldings a large plastic pot with the bottom sawn off and sunk into the ground. 2. Lots of water. 3. Nitrogen fertiliser till ypu see burrs. Then switch to potassium

Thanks Greenyinthewestofsydney, I will work it out,  Cheers mate 🍻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Arrrryep - thanks Greeny, I have just read that the rhizomes can grow up to 15 feet below the surface over many years - so definitely a plant that needs containing and the crowns regular annual servicing (pruning). 
Yep regular dosing of a NPK tea should work perfectly then eh. 
Much more research for me to do - but I don’t like the idea that they can be fatal for dogs. We have a 7 year old Weimaraner who is a true hunter gatherer - it is not unusual to see her sniffing out a ripe strawberry or mulberry and nibbling it off the plant or feasting on fallen figs. And the chooks aren’t safe either, we caught her plucking her kill when she was about 3 after one of the birds foolishly fly out of the run🤦‍♂️

So if I do try my hand at growin me own fresh hops, I’ll have to be very much on guard and see what her interest levels in the cones are. 🧐

I would never forgive myself if she died from eating a plant that I intentionally grew 😢

• Like 2

I've tried for a few years now and this year, the plant actually took off. I had it climb up a trellis and it grew very nicely. Flowers were showing and all. Then I saw it. holes in the leaves, flowers disappearing and now here is an army of caterpillars feeding on the poor bugger. Here goes my hops. I don't like using insecticides as it always hits the wrong insects. So no home grown hops for me...again.

The Queensland Fruit Fly keep skilling my chillies, the caterpillars eat the hops, and some bug is killing the freshly laid turf from underneath. I just love what's happening in my garden.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Arrrryep - thanks Greeny, I have just read that the rhizomes can grow up to 15 feet below the surface over many years - so definitely a plant that needs containing and the crowns regular annual servicing (pruning). 
Yep regular dosing of a NPK tea should work perfectly then eh. 
Much more research for me to do - but I don’t like the idea that they can be fatal for dogs. We have a 7 year old Weimaraner who is a true hunter gatherer - it is not unusual to see her sniffing out a ripe strawberry or mulberry and nibbling it off the plant or feasting on fallen figs. And the chooks aren’t safe either, we caught her plucking her kill when she was about 3 after one of the birds foolishly fly out of the run🤦‍♂️

So if I do try my hand at growin me own fresh hops, I’ll have to be very much on guard and see what her interest levels in the cones are. 🧐

I would never forgive myself if she died from eating a plant that I intentionally grew 😢

https://wagwalking.com/condition/hops-poisoning

Yeah mate. Be careful if you have a dog who likes to nibble on stuff

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've tried for a few years now and this year, the plant actually took off. I had it climb up a trellis and it grew very nicely. Flowers were showing and all. Then I saw it. holes in the leaves, flowers disappearing and now here is an army of caterpillars feeding on the poor bugger. Here goes my hops. I don't like using insecticides as it always hits the wrong insects. So no home grown hops for me...again.

The Queensland Fruit Fly keep skilling my chillies, the caterpillars eat the hops, and some bug is killing the freshly laid turf from underneath. I just love what's happening in my garden.

That's disappointing. I was thinking of relocating my hops closer to the main vege garden on the assumption that usually smelly plants act as a deterrent to pests.