Coopers Community

Anyone Else Growing Hops This Year?

PhilboBaggins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Repotted my Goldings, Saaz, Pride of Ringwood and Fuggles just recently. Used quality potting mix this time instead of my home mad stuff so hope all goes well.

The Cascade that I planted in the ground last year and pretty much did nothing, is there, poking a couple of heads up , so hopefully it'll go a bit better this year too.

After a disastrous year last year when most of them got frazzled in a heat wave just as the side shoots were emerging.............

Edited by Loch Brewer
Added the last sentence

1 hour ago, YeastyBoy said:

Nope, zip, bare earth, nothing. Maybe they are still sleeping?

Really think mine have gone to God or compost!! POR RIP!!

Think the lack of the irrigation in Autumn was the fatal blow.

Back to the drawing board...….

Cheers YB

My POR only broke ground 3 or 4 days ago. Give it a bit longer mate. They are hard to kill plants.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My Cascade is getting higher. Hopefully some of those other shoots find their way to a line soon too.

You might have to manually get some of the other shoots started up the stringline.  With mine it is almost as if the shoots from the same plant do not want to climb the same line in case they might stifle the first shoot.  The second shoot also seems to veer away from the stringline as if looking for another support.  Yours might start climbing the wire surround.

Your plants are coming along nicely though.

@Maurice79, yours look good too, especially the one in the second photo.

Yeah I'll see what happens. Usually I just leave them, eventually they get long enough and find a line. One of them tried growing through the fence into the neighbours yard but I think it fell back through to our side 😂

Over next winter I'll be digging them up again to fridge some rhizomes. During that time I'll top up the soil so it's not such a low amount in there. Being a flat surface might prevent them sort of falling away from the lines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Usually I just leave them, eventually they get long enough and find a line.

Probably the right way to go.  More natural.

Mine are coming along okay, but the colder Melbourne climate means I am a few weeks behind you.  I have to run new stringlines this weekend.  Although I used polyline last year it has oxidised a bit and may not last the extra season.  Also the hops seemed to prefer climbing twine the year before.  But the twine did not last the growing season and needed some reinforcement.