Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

123 litres mixed beer and 20 litres of Morgan's Ginger Beer.  5 FVs in a few hours.  Big bottling session in a week or 2.  Looking forward to cooler days to do the coldies.

• Like 5

On 3/28/2024 at 4:03 PM, Back Brewing said:

I brewed a @iBooz2 COPA I substituted the crystal malt for carapils I'm going to use Verdant yeast for this brew it's all cubed and will go in the FV tomorrow 

Have you guys decided if your going to stick with POR dry hop for this recipe and how much?

20240328_113243.thumb.jpg.0f842e522af7ef644404560f2a8950fc.jpg

I upped this brew today a couple of degrees and had a taste it didn't taste bitter enough I'm going to make this again and instead of the hop stand I'm going to cube hop the last addition 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 4:33 PM, Back Brewing said:

Have you guys decided if your going to stick with POR dry hop for this recipe and how much?

Hi BB, Not sure if I replied to this question.  But I think I will stick with the dry hop.  I used 25g in 14 litres in the fermenter.  I thought the aroma of my brew was quite similar to the commercial version.  So a rate of around 2g/L seems about right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi BB, Not sure if I replied to this question.  But I think I will stick with the dry hop.  I used 25g in 14 litres in the fermenter.  I thought the aroma of my brew was quite similar to the commercial version.  So a rate of around 2g/L seems about right. 

I reckon by cube hopping the last addition will not only give it flavour but the extra time in contact with the hot wort will increase the bitterness then with with the dry hop it might make the brew shine a bit

• Like 4

Brew day.. Baby IPA type thing

Recipe: Kveik Ale
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 23.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 57.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          38.1 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          19.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          19.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         4          19.0 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)                            Grain         5          4.8 %         0.16 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           6          13.3 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Azacca [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          14.7 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Citra LupuLN2 [24.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           8          29.0 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik Ale Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         9          -             -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 7

On 4/1/2024 at 7:42 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

My 4th AG brew. Found this Kiwi site full of recipes. Tried my luck with the Stella Artois clone ( have a friend who only drinks Stella). If it turns out nice I might try more recipes https://www.wildabouthops.nz/lager_pilsner_recipes.html 

I am fermenting it at 10.8 degrees and never seen such an active bubbling at this low temperature 🤒. Smells a bit farty but hopefully will turn out nicely. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I am fermenting it at 10.8 degrees and never seen such an active bubbling at this low temperature 🤒. Smells a bit farty but hopefully will turn out nicely. 

How much yeast and how big was the batch? What is the SG atm? Trusty old Dubbya can have sulphur smells if it is a little stressed. Unless you made a starter you should use 2 packs. I know some people say it doesn't matter but the general consensus is to use 2 packs and IMHO, you can tell the difference. It may also all be harmless, just the yeast farting a little more than we'd like 🙂 See how it goes, do the d-rest and then take a sample before CCing to get an idea of what it will be like. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

How much yeast and how big was the batch? What is the SG atm? Trusty old Dubbya can have sulphur smells if it is a little stressed. Unless you made a starter you should use 2 packs. I know some people say it doesn't matter but the general consensus is to use 2 packs and IMHO, you can tell the difference. It may also all be harmless, just the yeast farting a little more than we'd like 🙂 See how it goes, do the d-rest and then take a sample before CCing to get an idea of what it will be like. 

In nearly all of my brews with Dubbya, with c.22l batches, I have only ever used 1 pkt of Dubbya and they have all fermented very well with no sulphur smells at all. But they have all been fermented under pressure.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

In nearly all of my brews with Dubbya, with c.22l batches, I have only ever used 1 pkt of Dubbya and they have all fermented very well with no sulphur smells at all. But they have all been fermented under pressure.

What’s Dubbya? I used Saflager W-34/70 it’s a20l batch and the OG was 1050

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Dubbya is what you used, it was named by one of our esteemed members @Pezzza, who does not frequent this site so often anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Dubbya is our Coopers Community Forum slang for W-34/70 yeast.  and yes you should use two sachets of it in a 23 l batch.  Lagers need to be pitched at a pitching rate of 1.5 - 2.0 if you read the manufacturers instructions and professional brewers recommendations.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Dubbya is our Coopers Community Forum slang for W-34/70 yeast.  and yes you should use two sachets of it in a 23 l batch.  Lagers need to be pitched at a pitching rate of 1.5 - 2.0 if you read the manufacturers instructions and professional brewers recommendations.

I am not too worried at this stage, as I had a few brews which smelt a bit farty. They all turned out nicely , The fartiness disappeared. I should have read the instructions, we never stop learning.

• Like 1

When it pours down like hell but you are perfectly safe in your little brewing cell wielding the beer magic with the comfy light on and music blaring out of the speaker. Just the rain is so loud on the tin roof, I can’t hear the music. 😀👍

In the kettle is a double batch of Munich Hell just heating up for a 90 minute boil. 

IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.1ecf23041993b3894a6618071d673d59.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I copied that link before, lot of info and heaps of recipes 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

When it pours down like hell but you are perfectly safe in your little brewing cell wielding the beer magic with the comfy light on and music blaring out of the speaker. Just the rain is so loud on the tin roof, I can’t hear the music. 😀👍

In the kettle is a double batch of Munich Hell just heating up for a 90 minute boil. 

Good space AK, but needs a bar 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Like the sticker on the chest freezer, you know the one 🤣🤣🤣🤣

‘Nice set up too. 

• Haha 1

Just threw down another FWK, no time for All Grain this break. 
‘First time using Kveik Yeast as my fridge has carked it some time ago, but I still have the fridge and loaded the SS Fermenter in there. 

Any idea how long Kveik Yeast takes to ferment, as I have always used temp control, never used this before, it’s sitting currently at 25 degrees, cheers punters. 

IMG_5041.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The SG atm is 1032 and it tastes totally fine, so I’m positive. 

• Like 1