Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

15 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Brewing a Coopers Pale clone AG recipe but with Nottingham. Yes I know its not gonna be Coopers but has anyone brewed a similar Aussie pale? Just after a regular easy drinker. 

My next brew is a Pilsner but after that I'm going to do a AG Coopers Pale ale but I am going to use Verdant as I feel Nottingham finishes a bit too dry

I did a kit Pale ale with verdant and it was nice I reckon an AG will be even better

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

Brewing a Coopers Pale clone AG recipe but with Nottingham. Yes I know its not gonna be Coopers but has anyone brewed a similar Aussie pale? Just after a regular easy drinker. 

I reckon that's exactly what you'll get.  A good honest Aussie Pale Ale

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

My next brew is a Pilsner but after that I'm going to do a AG Coopers Pale ale but I am going to use Verdant as I feel Nottingham finishes a bit too dry

I did a kit Pale ale with verdant and it was nice I reckon an AG will be even better

Verdant will be interesting.  You will not get the bubblegum/banana you sometimes get with Coopers Commercial Yeast.  However, the fruitiness of Verdant will be appropriate.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Verdant will be interesting.  You will not get the bubblegum/banana you sometimes get with Coopers Commercial Yeast.  However, the fruitiness of Verdant will be appropriate.

Its funny i used the commercial yeast in my cooper pa clone  and i can taste/smell the banana and had a commercial APA and could taste smell it! For what ever reason i had never noticed it before??? I dirtied batched and fermented cooler for a cooper sparkling see what that brings???

• Like 4

Coopers Sparkling Ale today.

Screenshot2024-02-09201505.jpg.716abdd3149a72f32a41ca3b0f750731.jpg

Screenshot2024-02-09201619.jpg.5b107a70d45072fea1a9cf2e07c4fc17.jpg

The brew day went well.  However, my last few brews, including this one, have come in a bit low on volume.  Missing by about 2 litres.

Post Mash gravity.  Could get 12-14 litres of 8.5% ABV beer out of that.

IMG_4253.thumb.PNG.1c82821df952fd433f6b82e7fb4d9bda.PNG

Post boil gravity

IMG_4254.thumb.PNG.73fc973269cf3d50025c29c0e69189bd.PNG

Starting transfer to fermenters (Keg King - Fermenter King Juniors)

IMG_4255.thumb.JPG.fb8293b38f3ac91bdbd2c249a2c19ada.JPG

11 litres into each fermenter, SG was actually 1.068

IMG_4256.thumb.JPG.bdb4ae9ed5467ad92daa7a75f1aeee51.JPG

Topped up each FV with 3 litres cold water and added Coopers Commercial Ale yeast harvested from my recent Coopers Original Pale Ale.  Tucked into the fermenting fridge.

IMG_4258.thumb.JPG.2c226916aac0b337afa8cba94dcfd5db.JPG

IMG_4257.PNG

• Like 10

I am planing to make a brew today based on the that’s Amore ROTM. I have a can of Coopers Draught, one caramalt infusion, German ale yeast, one LDM and one BE2. Would like to make a hop tea to add to the wort, not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

IMG_0001.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I am planing to make a brew today based on the that’s Amore ROTM. I have a can of Coopers Draught, one caramalt infusion, German ale yeast, one LDM and one BE2. Would like to make a hop tea to add to the wort, not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

IMG_0001.jpeg

Spalt seems to be closest to the Saphir hops in the Coopers recipe for That's Amore Italian Pils.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:17 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Brew day has become a brew night after work today. Nice clear wort and a few pints to help me through! Small grain bill and single hop is nice for a change. 

20240210_200650.jpg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

After my pleasant experience with Eclipse, I am going to pair with Cascade/Citra/Amarillo for a nice Citrus/Pine/Lemon effect.

I will have to work out a schedule, what do you reckon?

Cheers.

@Classic Brewing Co, i would probably go Eclipse/Cascade in the boil and dry hop Citra 70-80 grams, which should give you a nice citrus aroma, that’s just going from my past experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Recipe: Pale Ale

Style: Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 43.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
50.00 g          Ella [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90.2 Hop           4          33.8 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Sorachi Ace [11.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 mi Hop           5          9.6 IBUs      -             

Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------

Either Saison yeast or Kveik

• Like 10

Recipe: Pale Ale 2 
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Bottling Volume: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 57.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
70.00 g          Sorachi Ace [11.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 mi Hop           4          33.5 IBUs     -             
35.00 g          Ella [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90.2 Hop           5          23.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik Ale Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         6          -             -             

Mash Schedule: Robobrew Mash and Sparge Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------

Have some old hops to use up

• Like 6

At last, I have some WLP-004 Irish Ale yeast on hand, picked up two Pure Pitch NextGen packs today.  Got everything now in stock for a double batch (44 L) of my Guinness clone which I will probably mash and cube next Monday.  It took so long for this yeast to hit my supplier that I am going to make an overpitch starter from the first pack and keep it in my own yeast vault for the foreseeable future.  Looking forward to drinking this beer in the cooler months of this year.  Hell, I might even do a stout (first time since forever) and bottle it up for the long term to drink in the winter of 2025.

• Like 7

Brew day today, Batch #113 AG #70 my take on @stquinto 's Guinness clone.  it will not come in as dark as I wanted as I ran short of roasted barley, needed 900 g and only had 862 in stock.  Did not need any lactic acid to get PH down as the dark grains, salts etc. added - CaCl2, MgS04 and CaSo4 helped to get a PH of 5.2.  For some reason I chose a full long hop sock today (which I never do) and of course it was touching the bottom during the boil and melted a hole, hop matter went everywhere when I lifted it out.

For the first time ever, I had as near as damn it boil-over.  Was just about to go inside to make a cuppa and just caught it out of the corner of my eye so quickly killed the gas and saved the day.  Foam / scum climbed right up about 25 mm over then edge of the Nano, but the surface tension somehow held it there and stopped it spewing onto the shed floor.  The loose hop matter amplified the boiling and foam. 

Pic of the hop sock looks like a tropical weaver birds' nest when I hold it up.  Dunno why I grabbed that long hop sock when there were plenty of half socks and quarter socks ready for the job.  It meant I had to strain the wort into the cubes to collect any hop matter that was suspended in the liquid.  Turns out there was not too much actually so all good there.  Just hope my change of cubing routine has not introduced any bugs.

This beer/stout will be fermented with WLP-004 Irish Ale Yeast.

Recipe predicted IBU=40, EBC=61, ABV=4.5% BU:GU=0.87   I was one point up on pre-boil SG and two points up on post-boil SG so now it will be a 4.6% beer/stout.

BHE predicted 81.3% but this batch came in at 84.77%.   

ME predicted 85% but this batch came in at 91.22%.

Guinness Clone melted hop sock.jpg

Guinness Clone almost a boil over 2.jpg

Guinness Clone almost a boil over 1.jpg

Guinness Clone end of Sparge.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2