Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

A double banger brew day for me yesterday.

First up a 44 L batch of my COPA recipe, this was split into two cubes. and go into two different fermenters.

One will be fermented out as per my normal routine and the second will get a dry hop of PoR just at start of the cold crash.  I want to see what a dry hop does the the COPA and if it's and improvement then I will make that a standard addition to future COPA batches.

Second up was a 50 L batch of my Carlton Draught clone.  Made a few of these now and they always get well received and quickly consumed.  It will be fermented out in the 58 L Kegmenter using 4 x sachets of Diamond lager yeast that @Tricky Micky gave me - (thanks).  They had a use by date May 2022 but they should still be ok.  This one will be fermented under pressure 15 psi at 18 C initially then ramp up the temp as per my fermentation profile.

On Wednesday will be doing a 44 L batch of @ozdevil's USPA.  Would do it today but gotta mow these lawns again and tomorrow looking after my Grandson so it will be a day of cricket and downball.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 10

28 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@iBooz2 do you drink most of these 44 and 50L batches or do you do a lot of entertaining of guests?

Lets just say that I have a lot of "so called friends".

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Recipe: Maize Lager
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          62.5 %        1.63 L        
1.00 kg          Maize Malt (2.5 EBC)                             Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          12.5 %        0.33 L        
15.00 g          Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           4          15.3 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Sorachi Ace [11.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 mi Hop           5          7.7 IBUs      -             

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I guess brew day is about your recipe and your brew day/process and what’s in your fermenter is about what you tipped in your fermenter and how the fermentation process is going or how you plan to ferment and what you might add???

I think brew day is relevant to coopers cans as you can still have a particular recipe or process you might want to share!

• Like 5

Yeah I reckon brew day is what your brewing you might even take a pic of your brewing ingredients and or recipe and process as stated by @RDT2

What's in your fermenter would be where you didn't post in brew day but posted what is in your fermenter and as an example a pic of your fermenter on the bench or in the fridge and how it's going to be fermented 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, category 5 said:
Recipe: Maize Lager
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          62.5 %        1.63 L        
1.00 kg          Maize Malt (2.5 EBC)                             Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          12.5 %        0.33 L        
15.00 g          Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           4          15.3 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Sorachi Ace [11.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 mi Hop           5          7.7 IBUs      -             

Nice.  The Home Brew Network did a similar Mexican Lager recently but used Instant Polenta (which is 100% corn/maize) in the mash.  I am planning his brew in a few months.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I post All Grain brew day info, recipes and photos to the Brew Day thread and I post Coopers pre-hopped concentrate recipes, processes and photos to the What's in Your Fermenter thread.  I figure using pre-hopped and concentrate cans is not really brewing, but mixing.  But I also have a bit of OCD.  By my theory, Fresh Wort Kits would go in the WIYF topic.

Once fermentation is underway, I post updates to the WIYF, no matter what the origin of the brew.

The rest of you can do whatever you want.  I don't care......much! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am planning his brew in a few months.

I have used polenta before and did it like a cereal mash, worked very well.

I'll not use the malted maize again, the kernals would not go through the mill, I had to mix a few in with barley so they'd kinda get sucked in, it was a $hit fight

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

What's made on brew day is not necessarily what's in the fermenter. Wort may be kept for a day or two or more before it goes into the fermenter. From a k&b point of view, both are pretty much the same as all the beer making happens in the fermenter. If you do all grain, it is different. Most people do no-chill cubing, where the hot wort is filled into a jerrycan like container and kept overnight to cool off or stored for later use. It then goes into the fermenter on a different day. So the use of two threads is justified.

• Like 3

Made a red IPA today can’t wait! I was 4 points down but doesn’t matter! Kegged my pacific ale and chucked the red on the cake so should be a fast ferment which is good as I am low on beer 🍻 

IMG_1800.jpeg

IMG_6693.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, category 5 said:

I'll not use the malted maize again, the kernals would not go through the mill, I had to mix a few in with barley so they'd kinda get sucked in, it was a $hit fight

Understandable.  I did a Mexican Lager a while ago with 20% Flaked Corn, 10% Flaked Rice and 70% Pilsner.  The flaked ingredients were easy to work with.

I have a Victoria Grain Mill that can handle whole corn/maize.  But I have only ever crushed barley grains in it.  It is slow going with the hand crank.

• Like 3

Double batch of Guinness for my first brrw day of the year. I did post this info elsewhere so I’ll put it where it belongs 😉

I made a mistake (I think) in milling the oats, it kept on clogging the recirculating pipe. The OG was way too high at 1.056, I should throw a few litres of water in, the fermentation has just started. 
Other than that I kept a litre aside for souring in one keg and I’ll put lactic acid in the other.

Last year we had the neighbours round for a few Paddies’ day pints, might do the same again this year. 

Anyone have any thoughts on watering it down now (brew day +1) or when it comes to kegging time?

IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

Anyone have any thoughts on watering it down now (brew day +1) or when it comes to kegging time?

I usually make a slightly concentrated wort and then water it down in the fermenter.  I can fit 30 litres in my fermenter.  But I can only get about 22-25 litres out of my Grainfather.  Brewfather seems to handle the dilution pretty well.  OG comes out correct and it accounts for the dilution lowering bitterness.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am happy with my BrewZilla 35l but I think this year will be the year I upgrade to the bigger one.

Just remember they are 15a Phil

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Just remember they are 15a Phil

Oh yeah, they are, well back to the drawing board then. 🤔 It looks like it will be one of these then & any other necessary parts.

Of course, the extended malt pipe is optionable but maybe a good idea.

I have a couple of Coopers Craft Fermenters so I could easily accommodate the extra volume.

Has anyone else had experience with these?

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewzilla-35l-12l-boiler-extender-extension-kit

SKU: KL22231

35l-brewzilla-gen-4-3-1-1-12l-boiler-extension-stainless-steel-kegland-1_85e95afd-f174-4b01-957e-ac4132653e53.thumb.webp.4f149ca3dfb57fa6b14bd17c0fa8c69c.webp

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Oh yeah, they are, well back to the drawing board then. 🤔 It looks like it will be one of these then & any other necessary parts.

Of course, the extended malt pipe is optionable but maybe a good idea.

I have a couple of Coopers Craft Fermenters so I could easily accommodate the extra volume.

Has anyone else had experience with these?

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewzilla-35l-12l-boiler-extender-extension-kit

SKU: KL22231

35l-brewzilla-gen-4-3-1-1-12l-boiler-extension-stainless-steel-kegland-1_85e95afd-f174-4b01-957e-ac4132653e53.thumb.webp.4f149ca3dfb57fa6b14bd17c0fa8c69c.webp

One of my customers uses the extender and bigger malt pipe, he is a fan.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looking good AK, it must be easier with a 65l vs 35l & with the temp/controls at the top.

I am happy with my BrewZilla 35l but I think this year will be the year I upgrade to the bigger one.

Yes, it is easier. I can just have it sit on the dolly trolly and still operate the controls with ease. If it was higher up, I'd need a ladder to get the mash tube out 🙂 

• Like 4